Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Very nice , is it the narrow wing from Getty ?
Nope, regular spec 3.8 by Getty. It's really nicely finished. Getty does good work. He had a narrow wing there, the main difference... look down at top of wing, the wide wing, the sides of the wing continue in a sort of straight contour to the body, the narrow wing the rear of the wing is angled in much sharper. The base is the same essentially. Talk to Getty some guys in Japan wanted a narrow one for a 3.2 carrera, they ordered 10 so he made them and has the molds. He doesn't sell many of them.

If you want this wing you want it for function over form. I think a duck or no wing "looks" best, but I will track this car probably 10 days a year, so I want the aero.

One option which I'm considering is getting another set of hinges and swapping via the pin. you can then keep the alignment setup and swap pretty quickly.

We'll see :-)
Old 04-09-2016, 01:08 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks , agreed, the aero is most important when doing this mod,
Please send some pictures when its on , interested to hear the handling feedback too .
Cheers
Old 04-09-2016, 01:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 760 Posts

Chris, splitter?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Chris, splitter?
I have the rsr front bumper extensions. Nothing too crazy like you have.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
...I think a duck or no wing "looks" best, but I will track this car probably 10 days a year, so I want the aero. One option which I'm considering is getting another set of hinges and swapping via the pin. you can then keep the alignment setup and swap pretty quickly. We'll see :-)
Bingo! At 100+ the wing is awesome. Love the functional design of it too. Would love a pin system for a street duck or stock tail up.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,637 Likes on 760 Posts

I removed wing and splitter once and almost at outside wall Bishop Bend Sebring.
Put it back on and it's been all honkiedorie ever since.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Well, decided to tackle a couple of my mixing servos today. The passenger heat mix and the fresh air servos are inoperable. I swapped the working heat mix from the driver side to passenger and it works fine. So it's the servos.

Removed both, tried a 12v source and the arm isn't moving. Opened them up, the contacts on the heat mix looked ok, cleaned contacts up and checked with ohm meter the potentiometer and it's functioning. Pulled motor out and hooked up to 12, it barely moves. And lots of sparks from the commutator area and a stink of burning electronics. Its toast. Open the fresh air servo. It's contacts are burnt, and it's motor is behaving the same way.

Anyway, both are toast.

I have a new heat mix servo on the way here. Will order a fresh air servo too. They're pretty easy to pull out of the car after figuring out what's really holding them in there...

Need heat for the wife :-) Now that the heated seats are removed!

And now to wash the car and get it cleaned up for Luftgekühlt. I scored a "display" spot with Joey (built safari car with rod emory, pelican, several others).

Old 04-11-2016, 10:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Should have both servos tomorrow or weds to swap. I learned that not having the servo in there on the heat flap allowed it to "blow open" while on the highway allowing me to enjoy massive amounts of hot air yesterday. Wife enjoyed, me not so much.

Had a work on car fail today installing cat bypass pipe. The muffler on my car isn't stock, not sure what it is, but looks like a Meineke weld job, out cat to center muffler and a curved pipe welded to a ****ty looking welded tip.

The problem is the tapered coupler on the cat-side is hacked up welded on and the way they welded it it threw off the angle enough so that with the cat bypass pipe it will not connect correct. It BARELY connects with the cat.

So, need to hack that damn thing off and weld a proper flange on it so I can put this pipe on.

Now to find a shop to hack up my hacked up muffler... my race shop is stupid busy right now so this might be going back to meineke. LOL
Old 04-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

love this thread. Just ordered my t-lock as well. thanks for the post.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:17 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Yesterday / Today I installed a new fresh air servo, that's now working. Passenger heat mix servo to arrive yet.

Also installed the cat bypass. The pipe Mooty gave me is an FVD part. It was not a good fit. When you installed and compared the output to the cat the approach to the muffler was off by about 1". So, shop cut that, fixed the angle on the bypass pipe. Then, they pressed a new flange for the muffler connection. Its now perfectly lined up and doesn't look too bad for a late night job. :-) goal was function not beauty.

And car now has a cool growl, but the muffler on this thing looks like a generic muffler shop muffler, I'm sure its corking it up. This is a temp solution anyway until the headers/991 muffler go on the car. I mainly wanted this for track days as I've seen too many stock cats cracked from track use. And these things are NLA.

Oh yeah, I ordered some door pulls from app biz to use as a keychain.

P.S. Welds not done by the normal fabricator :-) so no critiques! Lol

Last edited by Spyerx; 04-15-2016 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:33 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Didn't realize Stevie wonder was also a welder......kidding...looks good!

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Yesterday / Today I installed a new fresh air servo, that's now working. Passenger heat mix servo to arrive yet.

Also installed the cat bypass. The pipe Mooty gave me is an FVD part. It was not a good fit. When you installed and compared the output to the cat the approach to the muffler was off by about 1". So, shop cut that, fixed the angle on the bypass pipe. Then, they pressed a new flange for the muffler connection. Its now perfectly lined up and doesn't look too bad for a late night job. :-) goal was function not beauty.

And car now has a cool growl, but the muffler on this thing looks like a generic muffler shop muffler, I'm sure its corking it up. This is a temp solution anyway until the headers/991 muffler go on the car. I mainly wanted this for track days as I've seen too many stock cats cracked from track use. And these things are NLA.

Oh yeah, I ordered some door pulls from app biz to use as a keychain.

P.S. Welds not done by the normal fabricator :-) so no critiques! Lol

Old 04-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 02m2
Didn't realize Stevie wonder was also a welder......kidding...looks good!
hahahah... actually the welds are ok, but the FVD pipe is metric and well, shop only had 3" standard so had to put an extension and its slightly different size. The flange on the muffler, that was creative, using a tire machine cone to get then flange right on the press, then the joint to further press it out. Hacky but it'll hold. And the welds (and joint) are WAY better than what was on there before!!!

The "Fab" in this case is the shop owner (who I owe BIG time for doing this after hours), who only hits the welder late at night when his normal fab guy isn't there to kick him off the TIG machine. :-) the beers we were consuming maybe didn't help!
Old 04-15-2016, 02:26 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

SS welding is an art. They don't look that bad to me. They do the job, nobody will be looking there anyhow. That looks to be a factory primary muffler.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
SS welding is an art. They don't look that bad to me. They do the job, nobody will be looking there anyhow. That looks to be a factory primary muffler.
Really? I didn't see any markings or part numbers on it at all. I think its similar in shape but not a factory muffler.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Car was AWESOME on the track yesterday - so much time left though as I'm finally learning to drive this thing. The cat delete did make a power (and noise) difference.

I was the only "antique" on the track - surrounded by GT3/GT4 and everyone I took for a ride was amazed at the grip and feel of the car. Yes, not "fast" on the straights, but, I could definitely gain on braking and keep pace in the corners.

This thing is too much fun.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread