Sponsored by:

Sebring brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 12:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsics
This poor guy...wonder if he downshifted.

Truck entering tunnel has brakes - YouTube
no, they went to the same school.... just ride it out in neutral!!
Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 816 Posts

Mark, Laguna and COTA are not Sebring T7, which has gotten significantly bumpier in the last 18 months.

You can continue to spew dangerous nonsense and be a generally obnoxious tool, per your usual behavior patterns here, but the fact of the matter is that even a super skilled multiple downshift at THAT location on THAT track at THAT speed has a high likelihood of disaster.

Peter knows this. Frank and I know this and both of us witnessed what Frank described there. Many others familiar with Sebring know this. And the driver in this video, who is also a seasoned pro (unlike you) knew this.

You do not. By all means, continue embarrassing yourself.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yep. There he can get away with it. On the huge bumps into Sebring T7? With a LOT less real estate to deal with & walls close in on both sides? Nope.
you mean to tell me, a race car driver cant downshift and deal with a few bumps and keep the car straight? what school is training these drivers? oh.... peter? i see!

just an FYI.... you get that car in to 3rd gear (which might only be one down shift for this guy) and you have 200ftlbs of torque available at near 5000rpm, multiplied through 3rd gear which would be around 5:1 thats, 1000ft-lbs of torque on both wheels, or 500lbs (each tire) of force decelerating the car at the limit of the rear tires and an ABS like force as well. it would almost stop the car in short order. try it sometime at the track. you dont coast for a half of a mile as you would if you leave the car in neutral and "see how far you go".

There, i thougth you would enjoy some "mind boggling" math this AM Dave!

the net net .... always do blip downshifts if you lose your brakes... even at turn 7 at sebring!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,544 Likes on 816 Posts

Your ignorance of that track, like so many other things you pontificate on, boggles the mind.

Bye!

PS: to everyone else reading this who drives or will drive Sebring...DONT DO THIS IN T7 if you have comprehensive brake failure . Please.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Mark, Laguna and COTA are not Sebring T7, which has gotten significantly bumpier in the last 18 months.

You can continue to spew dangerous nonsense and be a generally obnoxious tool, per your usual behavior patterns here, but the fact of the matter is that even a super skilled multiple downshift at THAT location on THAT track at THAT speed has a high likelihood of disaster.

Peter knows this. Frank and I know this and both of us witnessed what Frank described there. Many others familiar with Sebring know this. And the driver in this video, who is also a seasoned pro (unlike you) knew this.

You do not. By all means, continue embarrassing yourself.
bumpy has NOTHING to do with putting the car in a lower gear and NOT leaving the car in neutral , bumpy or not. go ask someone that knows something about high speed car control Dave!
it is YOU that is embarrasing yourself here. what I am advocating , is the safest method for brake failure, PERiOD! no excptions!
no... downshifts there would have NO effect on keeping the under control, infact, would give more control for obvious reasons (maybe not to you)
It is you that is being a TOOL here, dave. please, dummmy up before posting more nonsense on the subject.
In fact, even if the driver just left it in gear, he would have been 10x safer. he didnt and thats why he had such a dramatic finish and almost could have killed someone!!!
there is NO chance of "disaster"" dave, for doing a couple of downshifts after brake failure, you wold be doing a downshift anyway for this approach.

you are reflecting on your experience. remember your braking failure caused you to end up in the sand trap.. mine caused no visible problem ..i was able to drive on.... why?? technique my friend..the proof is in the technique and results from the same event. you spin or beach the car... i drive on safely... what technique should you share with others??
Old 03-29-2016, 01:13 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g-50cab
Turn 7 - the safety pin, doesn't have great traction to begin with - I've lost my brakes at this location before - luckily with a combination aggressive pumping and engine braking I was able to get the car under control on the service road - and turned right instead of left... to exit back on the track... He did well to get the car under control - that Camaro had some serious giddy up...

And just to confirm what VR said - I've seen someone first hand that's popped the clutch here, locked up the rears and spun into the wall totaling their car. This is my home track -
Now, thats not the advice here now is it? popping the clutch is a bad idea. blip downshifts are entirely different set of techniques!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:13 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
I'm pretty sure the brake failure was caused by shuffle steering.

Also, I'm surprised nobody posted the obligatory "That will buff out.". I imaging the fence did a number on the paint on the front clip while at the same time helped keep him off the public two lane blacktop.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Your ignorance of that track, like so many other things you pontificate on, boggles the mind.

Bye!

PS: to everyone else reading this who drives or will drive Sebring...DONT DO THIS IN T7 if you have comprehensive brake failure . Please.

Yeah,just listen to dave! just coast out the side gate and hope you dont run over someone! pleeeezzzz!!!!

yes, please listen! do a quick downshift, maybe two.... be patient and leave the car in gear.... thats the advice. and it is sound! but, do NOT coast in neutral!!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:15 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Oh, look. Another Kiborted thread. How refreshing.

-Mike
Old 03-29-2016, 01:17 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
i have saved and continued on at laguna with total , catastrophic brake failure at turn 2.... downhill, to boot!! why did i survive??? survival techniques my big mouth pal!!
its simple
With the incredible intelligence you have displayed here and the above and beyond talent you obviously have, it's a true wonder you are not driving a Merc in F1

Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
yep... and too bad it was a high reving BMW motor rather than high engine braking V8. but it still had a very possitive effect.
It was a Nissan V-6... Glad he wasn't hurt.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-29-2016, 01:42 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I know this has turned into a childish argument with Kibort, but this is a serious subject.

I just don't think that you can just so easily say that downshifting,spinning,or purposefully crashing into the tires is not the best course of action sometimes.

Was Johnny O wrong?

Old 03-29-2016, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

On the 'Vette, the left front rotor exploded.

You can see it in the video.

That meant the right front brake worked and the left front did NOT.

That began the car spinning to the right (clockwise, looking from above), pivoting the car on the functioning right front SLOWING tire.

Johnny O said initially on the radio that the "right front brake blew up," but it was the left front rotor that exploded.

While Johnny O surely helped slow the car any way he could (going down through the gears, I can GUARANTEE you he wasn't "blipping"), the spin that slowed the car was begun by the failure and the dynamics OF the failure, not by the driver...

I love him to death, and there are very few drivers with the "heart" of Johnny O, but this was not "fine driving" that caused the damage to be less, it was automatic response after the failure and loss of control started it...
Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 134 Posts

I won't second guess what the driver did in the few seconds he had to react since I don't have all the facts and never will unless he decides to share them. Bottom line is that no one was injured.

It almost sounds like the car shut off. Listen closely to the video. Once he stops at the entrance to the Chateau, it sounds like he fires the car back up before driving through the parking lot.

*Listening watching it again and using my fancy Apple earbuds for audio, there are several seconds where I don't hear the V8 rumble at idle indicating the clutch was in. Sounds like three attempts to re-fire the car during the whole sequence of events.

Quick Reply: Sebring brake failure