Sponsored by:

My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:06 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
You can buy replacement chrome rings on Fleebay.
Can you still get the real ones and not the replicas? Afraid to buy off eBay lately. Too many knock off items.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:09 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I have to use the chrome. The h4 are connected to them the red rings lay on top.
Huh? So mine are bodycolored and I have to cover it with a chrome one instead of swapping the out ?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Maybe the picture helps. The picture on the left is the H5. The H5 is the US standard headlight.
The H5 has a trim ring. It has holes in it with rubber plugs for adjusting the headlight. The H5 lens is sealed.

The H4 is the headlight on the right. The H4 has a lens that can be removed. Its held in place with the trim ring #4. On my lights that is chrome. On older 911s, usually this is what you see. Sure, it could be painted or colored a different color. Ring #6 is similar to the trim ring on the H5. This covers the chrome trim ring and is painted on my car red. The chrome ring is required as it holds the headlight assembly to the car. The trim ring is optional. I have another set in primer that will be soon painted a matte black.

Last edited by Spyerx; 03-15-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I converted to h4s also. The chrome doesn't look right on our cars imho. Definitely worth getting the trim ring you can paint
Old 03-15-2016, 07:57 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 379 Posts

Hmm that's interesting, they have changed things since I bought my '76 Carrera 3.0
This is the oe H4 in my RoW '76 C3, black plastic

This is an aftermarket H4 from my '72, chrome metal

Either of them could be covered by a body colored trim ring. This is the oe trim ring from the '76
Old 03-16-2016, 06:13 AM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Maybe the picture helps. The picture on the left is the H5. The H5 is the US standard headlight.
The H5 has a trim ring. It has holes in it with rubber plugs for adjusting the headlight. The H5 lens is sealed.

The H4 is the headlight on the right. The H4 has a lens that can be removed. Its held in place with the trim ring #4. On my lights that is chrome. On older 911s, usually this is what you see. Sure, it could be painted or colored a different color. Ring #6 is similar to the trim ring on the H5. This covers the chrome trim ring and is painted on my car red. The chrome ring is required as it holds the headlight assembly to the car. The trim ring is optional. I have another set in primer that will be soon painted a matte black.

oh ok, now i get it. i was always wondering why some of the chrome trim had the extra screw holes on the sides while others didnt.

im doing a mild back date in which a few of the 3.0 RS cars had chrome while others were black.

many thanks for education!
Old 03-16-2016, 06:20 AM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Hmm that's interesting, they have changed things since I bought my '76 Carrera 3.0
This is the oe H4 in my RoW '76 C3, black plastic

This is an aftermarket H4 from my '72, chrome metal

Either of them could be covered by a body colored trim ring. This is the oe trim ring from the '76
I had no idea they came in plastic? im assuming most of the lightweight RS cars sans the extra chrome ring?

Ive often heard how much better the H4's where over the usa sealed beam. i can barely see at night since i live in a tree line wooded area with my H4's. any suggestions for some higher "off road" type bulbs for my H4's??

sorry for the hijack
Old 03-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by panzerfaust
I had no idea they came in plastic? im assuming most of the lightweight RS cars sans the extra chrome ring?

Ive often heard how much better the H4's where over the usa sealed beam. i can barely see at night since i live in a tree line wooded area with my H4's. any suggestions for some higher "off road" type bulbs for my H4's??

sorry for the hijack
I have 100watt highs in mine, this requires a relay kit in 911s, not sure if 964/993 has light relays oe, most likely not.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I have owned many sets of H4's and H1's. I have never seen a set with plastic trim. That is new to me. I had a set of Chrome and black trim ring bosch units I purchased back in the 80's The chrome was always more Money the black was a brass ring with primer designed to be painted or used as is. Lately it seems to be the other way around.

I currently have a set of AL Czech republic made H4's with black trim (bottom picture in black middle picture with trim ring) I used to have on my C2 and used them as is. They were no different than the Bosch units other than the lense saying AL vs BOSCH. The H1's (top picture) are a superior light and look much better with the clear lenses but are very pricey for a clean good set. They also have dual H1 bulbs and reflectors that allow you to adjust the high beams and low beams independently per side. They can also be wired with a relay and direct current from battery to retain the low beams while the high beams are on. This with 85/100 or 100/100 watt bulbs will be close to some of the Zenon I have seen. You can angle the low beam to not interfere with oncoming traffic and the highs to really fill in the distance.

I recently repaired a friends H4 which already had one of the chrome trim rings replaced with an aftermarket ring and it seemed to be very good quality for the $100 cost. It was a brass ring that was chrome plated like the original. I can't say all aftermarket rings are the same but these would pass as factory IMO.
Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2016, 05:56 AM
panzerfaust
Instructor

So is it ok to just run the chrome inner ring? No securing or leak problems if I leave out the outer trim ring? The outer one purely decorative?
Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by panzerfaust
So is it ok to just run the chrome inner ring? No securing or leak problems if I leave out the outer trim ring? The outer one purely decorative?
Outer ring is purely decorative.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just upgraded to H4s and use the Osram 65/70 watt bulbs. Some refer to them as motorcycle bulbs. Popular among motorcycle and off-road truck/jeep guys. But they're much brighter than the standard 55/60 bulbs. I think 65/70 is the max you can use safely without needing to add a relay. 964s don't come relayed from the factory...at least US spec H5s don't
Old 03-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FormulaRX
I just upgraded to H4s and use the Osram 65/70 watt bulbs. Some refer to them as motorcycle bulbs. Popular among motorcycle and off-road truck/jeep guys. But they're much brighter than the standard 55/60 bulbs. I think 65/70 is the max you can use safely without needing to add a relay. 964s don't come relayed from the factory...at least US spec H5s don't
I just put a standard spec bulb in mind, Philips X-treme Vision which I have in my GT3RS (has halogens!) and 89 and they do a good enough job for standard halogens.

Maybe I'll try an MILDLY uprated bulb, I'm just not interested in wiring in relays. When I pulled mine I had 1 osram and 1 hella. They were both 55w low, the hella was 100w high, osram standard 60w high... the sockets were converted back in '92 when the H4 were put on the car (I have the receipt for the lights plus the install from the original owner!). No indication on the wires or sockets of overheating.

Once you drive a modern car with xenon or LED headlights these halogens just never really impress. My cayenne has fantastic lights, my BMW is really good too.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:43 PM
panzerfaust
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I have 100watt highs in mine, this requires a relay kit in 911s, not sure if 964/993 has light relays oe, most likely not.
ok sounds like 100w hi and 75w low would be the way too go. i hope i dont melt someones retina's coming the opposite way.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Outer ring is purely decorative.
ok, chrome inner ring, some up rated bulbs and relay is what i need. i will try to reuse my gasket since i been reading the new ones are too thick and dont fit too well.

I just put a standard spec bulb in mind, Philips X-treme Vision which I have in my GT3RS (has halogens!) and 89 and they do a good enough job for standard halogens.

Maybe I'll try an MILDLY uprated bulb, I'm just not interested in wiring in relays. When I pulled mine I had 1 osram and 1 hella. They were both 55w low, the hella was 100w high, osram standard 60w high... the sockets were converted back in '92 when the H4 were put on the car (I have the receipt for the lights plus the install from the original owner!). No indication on the wires or sockets of overheating.

Once you drive a modern car with xenon or LED headlights these halogens just never really impress. My cayenne has fantastic lights, my BMW is really good too.
relay would be a good idea even with the rated bulbs. they are old cars...This is my 2nd porsche and both were having issues with the clock springs area where the tabs contacting inadvertently. you can see were the plastic were holding the tabs were beginning to show signs of excessive heat, nearly melting. higher watts bulbs may cause more of a problem with all the resistance with old wiring?

agreed, H4 may have been the best at one time but cant hold a candle (pun intended) to the modern car lamps. the world has moved far beyond H4's. im keeping mine since its period correct.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Gamroth bits

Last edited by Spyerx; 03-17-2016 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: My 964 C2 Transformation Build Thread