members.rennlist.org 404?!!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:37 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,601 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Who you callin' unwashed?

John's explanation is pretty much what I expected; somebody broke the routing to .org.

It has now been two weeks. If it was going to get fixed, it would have been fixed by now. This is not a priority for IB.

The *thousands of threads* that contain pictures from .org that are now broken is apparently not a significant problem. The future value of rennlist as a technical resource for its membership has just gone over a cliff.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

Tech are working to consolidate the different .org and .com resources under a common URL structure. This is taking longer than expected. We are also moving things to HTTPS which further adds complication that was never there before.

I will post eta the moment I have one.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:53 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Well, hopefully you can get this correction expedited.

As mentioned previously, I need access to files residing on my rennlist web space!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:19 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.

Gents,
The SLD : "http://members.rennlist.com" and the SLD "http://members.rennlist.org" should resolve to the exact same IP. The reason is that the database is held in "members.rennlist.org/username"
Originally Posted by Randy V
^^ assuming that advice is for the IB IT weenies, not the general unwashed masses like us?
He did say, "Gents"
Old 03-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

I can't speed anything up and this is not a high priority item when compared to keeping sites in the network online etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

This is just silly....

OK - for now - until they fix the routing - AND DECLARE THE DEFAULT directory page under IIS - you can get to your site like this:

Enter the following: http://members.rennlist.com/(YOURWEBSITENAME)/index.htm
Like - here is my site:
http://members.rennlist.com/jdunkle/index.htm

When I wrote the database structure, I left out the declared SLD (members.rennlist.org) and handled directory browsing as "./sub-directory" - so, most links should work - unless you changed your default page to something else...

Anyway - this is a band-aid for now....

John D.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not working for me, JD.

http://members.rennlist.com/randy_v/index.htm
Old 03-07-2017, 04:44 PM
John D.
Banned

Nope - you are good... You changed the default page name - so let me play... Here was the original default page when your created yours:

http://members.rennlist.com/randy_v/

I'll try to figure out what you used in a minute or two...

John D.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:49 PM
John D.
Banned

Hang on - as I'm playing - it appears I.B. is following this thread and playing along on their servers...

You are welcome I.B.

John D.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 PM
John D.
Banned

RV..

If you go here - can you login?
http://members.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/webmanager.cgi
If so - look up your settings, and let me know what your default page is on your site - or - once you have the name - just type it after your site URL...

John D.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

RV..

JD-
Thanks for alerting me to the existence of this thread. I have been trying for 10 days to get a response from IB by email about the broken rennlist member sites and have not been successful in getting any appropriate response. Using the link you sent above, I was able to get to the login screen and enter my user name and password finally. The normal site management interface appeared from that login. Here's a screenshot of where I got to:

Unfortunately, this interface is not working at all for me. If I click on any file name, I get a 404 error, instead of having the file display in a new tab. If I try to upload a file, it shows in the list, but when I click on it, I only get another 404. I don't understand this behavior at all. That's not what usually happens when managing the site, so it is still broken as far as I am concerned. Add me to the list of people upset about this problem! I've been maintaining a lot of stuff on there for nearly 20 years now.

I'm glad to see someone from IB is at least aware of the problem. The woman who responded to my email from customer service thought I was having a problem logging into the forums. She didn't even seem to be aware of the member websites.

TT
Old 03-07-2017, 06:04 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi Tom,

Actually - my thanks for reaching out to me via e-mail earlier today - much appreciated..!

As well, folks need to remember that Rennlist is a VERY COMPLEX set of servers, top-level, second level sites and domains - and my opinion is - it is by far the most complex site Internet Brands hosts and tries to maintain. Remember - they are used to buying and hosting vBulletin forums - not the huge fabric of services and Member assets that comprise the Rennlist domain...

Anyway - I know exactly what the issues are that I.B. is struggling with, as it appears they've made some fundamental changes in the servers and DNS records. The change over to HTTPS isn't an issue at all - or shouldn't be.

But - like you - I've gotten a raft of e-mails and questions. As I do not have access to I.B.s systems - I also can't fix it from my end, as much as I'd like to - as it really isn't that difficult once they take a moment to examine the existing code.

In the meantime, yes - it's pretty much broken - as are all the search results for members.rennlist.org on Google/Bing engine results, in this forum and other forums Rennlist Members have posted their content..

Anyway - I did chuckle in your e-mail that you shared that they suggested you become a "Paying Member" as not only are you a "Lifer", but indeed one of the very first lifers of Rennlist..!

John D.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Tom,

Actually - my thanks for reaching out to me via e-mail earlier today - much appreciated..!

As well, folks need to remember that Rennlist is a VERY COMPLEX set of servers, top-level, second level sites and domains - and my opinion is - it is by far the most complex site Internet Brands hosts and tries to maintain. Remember - they are used to buying and hosting vBulletin forums - not the huge fabric of services and Member assets that comprise the Rennlist domain...

Anyway - I know exactly what the issues are that I.B. is struggling with, as it appears they've made some fundamental changes in the servers and DNS records. The change over to HTTPS isn't an issue at all - or shouldn't be.

But - like you - I've gotten a raft of e-mails and questions. As I do not have access to I.B.s systems - I also can't fix it from my end, as much as I'd like to - as it really isn't that difficult once they take a moment to examine the existing code.

In the meantime, yes - it's pretty much broken - as are all the search results for members.rennlist.org on Google/Bing engine results, in this forum and other forums Rennlist Members have posted their content..

Anyway - I did chuckle in your e-mail that you shared that they suggested you become a "Paying Member" as not only are you a "Lifer", but indeed one of the very first lifers of Rennlist..!

John D.
It was good to hear from you, John, and I hope life is treating you well these days. I knew you might know something about what's going on, even if you aren't responsible for fixing it anymore. Maybe IB should hire you as a consultant for a day and let you work some coding magic so we could get things running smoothly again.

Although my site is still opening and displaying some content when browsed, it seems like everything new that was added or changed in my last update is broken--images not displaying and links not working, etc. That's what I noticed a couple weeks ago when I visited my site, prompting my inquiry to IB by email when I couldn't login to manage it and see if I could fix anything. I didn't think to look in this "Help" forum for posts from people experiencing the same issues. Glad you steered me here. I'm subscribed now and hoping for developments in this thread.

Cheers,
TT
Old 03-07-2017, 08:49 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,601 Likes on 1,047 Posts

<sigh>
Old 03-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

RV..

If so - look up your settings, and let me know what your default page is on your site - or - once you have the name - just type it after your site URL...

John D.
That got me into my space, JD - but - clicking on any of my files gets a 404 error.

Quick Reply: members.rennlist.org 404?!!?!?!?