Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

^^ join the club...
Old 03-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 715 Likes on 496 Posts

I hope to have an update as to the status of things later this afternoon. I apologize for how long this is taking. It's my understanding that the tech team along with the network operations team are working to simplify the way Rennlist is structured as part of it still runs on old windows boxes that are well past due. It is a complex job.

thank you for your continued patience.
-robb
Old 03-11-2017, 12:40 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Is there any point in pointing out that, configuration changes - in this case refactoring of network topology over a set of services, should be tested before live cut-over? Test instances? VM Scratch Monkeys? Hello?

I guess not. After all, users aren't actually paying for the service, banner ads pay for it. Why should user's expect QoS, a consist ToS, an SLA, or that a feature working one day will work on the next when they don't pay for the service? I *get* it. On such foundations are Facebook's built.

Oh. Wait. There are paying members.

Three weeks and counting for a procedural error that results in a bleeding wound in the Rennlist knowledge base.

E-mail notifications of new posts haven't worked consistently in months.

What's next? How about no pictures? That'll be good.

All hail vBulletin is dead.

Long live Majordomo.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:56 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

How many different ways are there to get a URL to resolve to a different TLD?

More than one?

Less than one hundred?

How many can be effected in a text file with a text editor?

Anybody there know vi?

Yes. I'm just !@#$ing cranky this morning.

I have a 24x7x365 system in the field right now. You can walk into the room hosting the primary server rack and set off a fragmentation grenade and the users probably won't notice enough to even worry about putting in a ticket unless they felt the vibration. 'course there was an incident with a switch having both power supplies plugged into the same UPS. $h!+ happens. I get it. Three weeks to fix?
Old 03-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ looks like Dave is applying for a job at IB.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:13 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

update?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Six weeks on Saturday.

What is the plan for restoring forum threads that are now useless because of references to content on rennlist.org?

Or has it been decided that old content is worthless and that the member benefit features are just too hard to keep working?
Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Everyone,

I requested a formal update from tech yesterday and hope to receive it in the next day or two. However from my not tech observations I do want to offer a few things.

Firstly, we are working to restore all content hosted on rennlist.org and members.rennlist.com. There is no plan to abandon this content. We are however, working to unify things somewhat. We (I believe) are working to move all links to the .com while ensuring proper re-directs are in place so that nothing gets broken.

Running parallel to this process is a larger task, which is to move Rennlist to https everywhere, instead of the current http. This is being demanded by Google and Apple and is the reason why our GarageTalk app currently doesn't work on Android Nougat devices. Google requires all apps to connect via https and Rennlist isn't there yet. This job literally means altering every single link, image, etc across the entire Rennlist community. Member sites included.

These two tasks are somewhat intertwined at this point is my understanding. The scale of the job is quite large and we're not going to rush anything because of this.

We apologize for the length of time it is taking, and we thank you for being patient as we work through all of the above.

with thanks,
robb
Old 03-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb M.
Firstly, we are working to restore all content hosted on rennlist.org and members.rennlist.com. There is no plan to abandon this content.
This is heartening to hear. Thanks for the update, Robb. I hope they are able to accomplish this in the near future.

TT
Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I believe things should be back up and running today. We apologize for the length of time this took us. Please let me know if there are still any outstanding issues.

thanks,
robb
Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Looks like that's got it Robb - thanks!

I'm now able to access my webspace. Viewing, adding and deleting files seems to be working correctly.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Robb M.
I believe things should be back up and running today. We apologize for the length of time this took us. Please let me know if there are still any outstanding issues.
Thanks for your efforts, Robb. The one issue I still see is that the original member website "portal" page at http://members.rennlist.com/ is still not working. That is how I normally accessed my website to manage it--by clicking on one of the "Manage your site" links on the page (either in the left or main frames). Those links refer to "http://mall.rennlist.com/memberweb.asp" still, which brings up a 404 error.

I was able to log in and manage my site today using the link that John D. provided in post #25 of this thread: http://members.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/webmanager.cgi, but shouldn't the old portal page be updated for those who haven't yet discovered this problem (or read this thread)? Without John D.'s hint, I would still not know how to log in to my site and manage it.
Thx,
TT
Old 04-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This is the login link I've always used in the past. It is now working again:

http://members.rennlist.org/cgi-bin/webmanager.cgi
Old 04-04-2017, 06:16 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Randy V
This is the login link I've always used in the past. It is now working again:

http://members.rennlist.org/cgi-bin/webmanager.cgi
Yes, that's the link I mentioned in my post above and now have bookmarked for the future, but in the past, I always just used http://members.rennlist.com/ to get to the login page and manage my site. I am just wondering if there might be others like me who didn't bookmark the .cgi link like you did and now can't find it easily, perhaps? The old member portal is also the page that lists all the other member sites with links to explore them, and should be retained, IMHO, so why not make it functional again as a place to also log into and manage your site?

TT

Quick Reply: members.rennlist.org 404?!!?!?!?