Notices

Search turned back on - please post here if there is an issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
We apologize for the delay in fixing the search.

Search has been turned on. Please post in this thread only if there are issues with search - we will address them.

Please try to be as detailed as possible when posting complaints. Please hold the really nasty comments, we don't function well when our feelings are hurt.

Thanks
thanks for asking
it would be nice to save previous search parameters when you decide to use a different key word rather than re-selecting specific forum / date / etc.
i don't mean "saving" a global search, i mean just saving parameters from one search to the next in the same session

thanks

Craig
Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 PM
helmet155
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Searching doesn't search for the phrase entered, it searches for each word as a single word...makes finding what you are looking for difficult...

:thumbsdown:
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

I noticed that you only get 250 results all the time. Most of them are only in the 2009 year.

It also doesn't do a good job at searching for key words either.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

When I search for more than one word, it seems to get almost half of the existing posts on the first page. Unless it's searching in the signatures, and other places that is not possible. I tried "wheel weights" and "wheels getting hot" in the racing forum.

Please fix this, it is becoming very difficult to use these forums for searching for relevant technical information.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 04:21 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sundog
When I search for more than one word, it seems to get almost half of the existing posts on the first page. Unless it's searching in the signatures, and other places that is not possible. I tried "wheel weights" and "wheels getting hot" in the racing forum.

Please fix this, it is becoming very difficult to use these forums for searching for relevant technical information.

Thanks
+1 Perfect description of what's happening at the moment
Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: search does not work...

Tried searching for "Hard Start Cold" just got garbage.

-BB
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Buckaroo Banzi
Racer

Default re: Search Sucks..

HELP!!!!!!

Why is search limited to 10 pages and only for 2009??...

How long do you think it's going to take to fix search????

-BB
Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

when i search i just get the most random, new threads and posts from all over rennlist... Why did we have to change the old search? is there a "reset" button back to how it was?!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all the comments. Very tough to find old threads that have great information in the technical forums. Searching exhaust rattle (no quotes) in the 944 forum gave random results. With quotes it was only marginally better.

Can the tweaks be reset in the technical forums? Leave it as is in OT and some of the other forums, maybe, but it makes the technical forums useless if you're trying to find old threads that have great material.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I agree. Quit screwing up this forum already! This is way past ridiculous. It wasn't broken, so stop fixing it.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 PM
helmet155
Pro

seriously, how was it broken before?

Anyone from "IB" want to comment on what they are doing to add any value?

Why pay to be a member?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Uhhh... just used search.... and all it did was give me every damn thread in the forum I was searching for. Guess I'll do things manually....

How the hell does something like this get screwed up?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IB? An update, please. Search still does not work as expected.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Originally Posted by davesnothere
I just tried this with little success. It even returned a thread with *none* of the search terms!

Do the main "search" and the "search this forum" use different engines? I only tried the "search this forum".

- Dave
They use the same engines.
Originally Posted by Aryan
Hello Adrian,

I tried both ''HVAC control head led upgrade'' and +HVAC +control +head +led +upgrade in the 928 forum but the search results show threads based OR not based on AND.
Ok - I can't explain why that would be the case. I will try to understand why, and get that rectified.
Originally Posted by Rob in WA
When searching by user name it comes up w/threads started by that user, not "search entire post" which is checked.
There are 2 options in search when searching for posts by a user.
"Find Posts by User"
AND
"Find Threads Started by User"

I tried both options, and they returned their respective correct results. If you select the option you want from these 2 options, is it still returning incorrect results?
Originally Posted by Mongo
I noticed that you only get 250 results all the time. Most of them are only in the 2009 year.
It will return 250 results at a time.
You can select in the options the date range that you want your results from (for example, you know the thread was posted sometime around June 2006, you can search for threads July 2006 and older and order the results by post date)
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzi
HELP!!!!!!

Why is search limited to 10 pages and only for 2009??...
I hope the above reply helps
Originally Posted by ehall
I agree. Quit screwing up this forum already! This is way past ridiculous. It wasn't broken, so stop fixing it.
The problem was that it was broken
The search function on the site was severly impacting website performance (as the website outgrew the inbuilt vBulletin search).
If someone searched the whole site for a term like "wheels" or "911" it would bring the site down

As a result, we had to build a seperate search engine to ensure that it didn't impact page load times for users.
Because search is such a complex tool (you can have 500 users try to find the same thread by using 500 different terms), we utilized an existing search engine called sphinx (it is used on Craigslist for example), and then made it work with the vbulletin format.
As a result its interpretation of what brings up results is different that the previous search engine, we are still adjusting the settings to try to replicate what was previously available as best we can and improving the relevancy of results.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:11 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet155
...Why pay to be a member?
My membership just expired and I'm not renewing until they fix Search. It's useless now, and so Rennlist is mostly useless to me.

Quick Reply: Search turned back on - please post here if there is an issue