Notices

Search turned back on - please post here if there is an issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Given how old the thread is, did you try changing the date ranges?
Bear in mind the search, both old and new arranges threads based on relevancy somewhat by its date.
I saw that the thread was 6 years old, and searched inversely by post date because of this, that was why I was able to get it on page number 2!
Unfortunately the term "Scandinavian" will be used with reasonable frequency, and the search has to scour around 6.5million individual messages for it, so the chances are it will return a lot of results that contain "Scandinavian" within it, and because that thread is from over 6 years ago, it will unfortunately be at the bottom!

There are other options for you in such an instance too - for example, the phrase "Scandinavian Rennlist" (search with quotation marks) will obviously be used a lot less in those than the word "Scandinavian", and I did a basic search for "Scandinavian Rennlist", it returned 8 results for me, of which result number 8 was your thread (because it was the oldest).
I hope that helps,
Adrian
Hi Adrian,

You seem to be missing the point here, or not listening to me. I am not complaining about the number of results, or the thread being hard to find in the results, it is not appearing in the results AT ALL.

None of these refinements matter if the thread doesn't appear in a search in the first place.

I just did a search for "scandinavian rennlist", as you did, but got 488 results back, which only went back to earlier this year. I assume there were too many to list because the search is failing to work with the boolean 'and'.

We seem to be having very different experiences of the same function. Perhaps that's a clue.

Graham

Last edited by graham_mitchell; 04-22-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Graham, just so you will know, the present search engine is a band aid. The one we knew and loved crashed the site when the data base got too large. IB are developing a improved one which will emulate the original without causing site slow-downs and or outages. It will be in the next release of VB - since the problem is common to all sites using VB. Rennlist suffered he big first because it is the largest.

Improvements have been made to the band-aid but it is still not what we had. That will be cured in a month or two. In the mean time we'll all have to be patient, or frustrated, or both

Best,
Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Steve Cattaneo
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I tried using the posted Search instructions, still does not work for me, and could not find any of my technical post in 928 Forum using my name. Can you please help me.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Is the advanced search functionality limited....
Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's
Is the advanced search functionality limited....
That's Thread Search, not site-wide Search, dood.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by graham_mitchell
Hi Adrian,

You seem to be missing the point here, or not listening to me. I am not complaining about the number of results, or the thread being hard to find in the results, it is not appearing in the results AT ALL.

None of these refinements matter if the thread doesn't appear in a search in the first place.

I just did a search for "scandinavian rennlist", as you did, but got 488 results back, which only went back to earlier this year. I assume there were too many to list because the search is failing to work with the boolean 'and'.

We seem to be having very different experiences of the same function. Perhaps that's a clue.

Graham
Graham, forgive me here, I am a little perplexed as from a technical standpoint I really can't understand as to if you do the following search you could get any different results from mine:
The only thing I can offer - is to potentially login as yourself to see if I can get results which don't include the thread and further troubleshoot. If you can confirm that searching in the following manner doesn't help, if you don't have any qualms, I would like to changng your password to access your account purely to attempt to experience the issue.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Originally Posted by Steve Cattaneo
Hi,

I tried using the posted Search instructions, still does not work for me, and could not find any of my technical post in 928 Forum using my name. Can you please help me.

Thanks
Steve - I tried the following search and found 982 (I assume technical) posts from yourself in the 928 forum.
If you go to the following page:
https://rennlist.com/forums/search.php
  • Type in your username in the area - Search by User Name in the top right
  • Select 928 Forum under Search in Forum(s) on the list on the bottom right
  • You may also want to change it to return results as Posts as opposed to Threads under "Show Results as" on the bottom left of the page
I hope that helps,
Adrian
Old 04-23-2009, 04:16 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Graham, forgive me here, I am a little perplexed as from a technical standpoint I really can't understand as to if you do the following search you could get any different results from mine...
Are you connecting to the site externally via the internet as we do?
I assume Rennlist is running on multiple servers? Are all the servers running the same version of the site software? I'm wondering if we are connecting to different servers somehow. I've seen this happen elsewhere (e.g. hotmail) where the site can be different or even down for some users depending on their host machine.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

I am connected externally - the site runs on a slave and a master server with a copy of the same database, one server for "read", one for "write".
The rest of the network we connect through is the same.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Keith, just to clarify, are you searching to return your results by relevance?

I don't in any way wish to be indignant, and I hope I don't come across as such, but I am having issues replicating the concern you have outlined, and to fix the oil leak, I need to know where the oil is dripping from.

Here is what I searched - for spoiler wall decal across every Rennlist forum, and I had elected to search for results to return by relevancy (you can make this your default advanced search preferency by saving it at the bottom)
The results I got (note, I searched without the quotation marks this time) are below as well.
Adrian,
I've got a feeling that a huge number of your complaints will go away soon if you change this one item.....

The default should be to return results by relevance!!!!! Currently it is set to"last posting date", which explains all the crap we are getting from recent posts. Come on, if Google sorted by "last posted" instead of relevance, what use would it be???

I have been using "Search this forum" from the top of the 993 forum page, which is a simple one line entry box, I'm not using the "advanced" search page, so I've never seen this option. No wonder..... And I bet many others are doing the same. (as a quick check, I just searched from advanced using "spoiler wall decal" sorted by "relevance" and get the results I would normally expect.) Problem solved!

Now, if this has the result site-wide I believe it will, I think you owe me a beer...

Old 04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Try now Keith
Thanks~
Old 04-23-2009, 06:01 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The plot thickens....

After saving my search preferences to use "sort by =relevancy", using the "search this forum" box (NOT advanced search), it uses the DEFAULT "sort by last posted" setting.

Try to search the 993 forum using:
spoiler wall decal
and it should highlight the issue. I get crap results from the "search this forum" box, and clicking advanced and using the same phrase (with my prev saved settings=relevancy) i get what I expect.

edit
just figured this out...the quick search box uses: thread start date as its default to sort results, NOT what I've saved (relevancy) and should use your (just now, new and improved) default of "relevancy".
/edit

Hey, is that 2 beers you now owe me?

Last edited by kjr914; 04-23-2009 at 06:12 PM. Reason: figured out what the #$%@ the quick search box is doing...
Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
IB Adrian
Administrator

Ahh - you caught me out

I updated the "quick search" on the main header bar, but not the one in the forums. Will do that now.
Keith, I will make it a 6-pack
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 AM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

OK, I got the message "notice" that search has been updated. Now, can you make that bold, red notice go away, please. It's like another banner that I would rather not see. I tried deleting my cookies thinking maybe the system would realize I have read it and leave me alone, but alasssss.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to now have better luck searching for combined term items than before. Time will tell as I need to lookup various things if things are really better or not. However, it seems like I'm getting a lot less crap in the search returns than I was a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply: Search turned back on - please post here if there is an issue