No longer able to download photos, get 'Alert' message

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 04:13 PM
skpyle
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 218 Posts
Default No longer able to download photos, get 'Alert' message

Hello!

As the title says, I am no longer able to download photos to my RL posts. I had downloaded 30 photos in three posts to a thread last night. When I went to download more photos, it stopped downloading and gave me a message that just said 'Alert.' I tried closing the browser. I tried restarting the computer. I have tried on my separate shop computer. No change.
I have looked at my user account, I only have 4557 photos downloaded. I think the limit is 10,000+.

So...I am open to any and all advice.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:47 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 727 Likes on 504 Posts

I am not seeing any limits or restrictions, wondering if it was an issue on our end yesterday. Are you able to add an image to this thread?
Old 06-12-2021, 11:04 PM
skpyle
Rennlist Member

Hello Robb,

Thank you for replying. I tried a test download of an older photo on the thread in question. It was successful. I mean older by from my old Kodak EasyShare digital camera. Last October, I started using a new Canon digital camera. The 30 photos I downloaded to the post in question were the first photos I posted to RL taken with that camera.

I will try a couple of test photo downloads here.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:07 PM
skpyle
Rennlist Member

Photo taken with Kodak camera.

Photo taken with Canon camera.

OK, that worked.
I will now try to download photos to my original post in question.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:12 PM
skpyle
Rennlist Member

I just tried and failed to download photos again to my thread. I got the same alert message.

For reference, here is the thread in question:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...l#post17488398
Old 06-14-2021, 11:25 AM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 154 Posts

Seth (skpyle) sent me a couple of images via email, I tried uploading to the "SITM thread" and they bombed with the unhelpful "Alert" message-- nothing more, just the word "Alert" and an OK button. (Where's the "Not OK" button??)

Same with this thread. The images are full-size, 5472 x 3648, around 10.5 MB. That is certainly larger than needed for screen display, but helpful for anyone who wants to download and print. But if that's too big for the site then it would be helpful to automatically downsize them. And if that is not possible, then at least provide a more helpful error message.

Robb, back to you: What is the max size (pixel dimensions or file-size) for uploading?

Thanks, Jim

Old 06-14-2021, 11:37 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

I need to quickly clarify that putting photos on rennlist is uploading, downloading would be taking images from rennlist and saving them.

That error message is not very helpful at all, could one of you please email me the images which won't upload so that I can have our tech team take a look? robb.meier@internetbrands.com

Old 06-14-2021, 12:24 PM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robb M.
I need to quickly clarify that putting photos on rennlist is uploading, downloading would be taking images from rennlist and saving them.

That error message is not very helpful at all, could one of you please email me the images which won't upload so that I can have our tech team take a look? robb.meier@internetbrands.com
Robb, thanks. Photo is on its way.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
Robb M. (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 12:30 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

thanks, Jim. image received and issue replicated. I'll report back, but unsure on the timeline to get tech to investigate this.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:18 AM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robb M.
thanks, Jim. image received and issue replicated. I'll report back, but unsure on the timeline to get tech to investigate this.
Robb, Here are some more tests for the tech gurus to ponder.

Seth's original "2021-06-05 193.JPG" was around 10MB, direct from the camera (Canon Powershot according to EXIF data), 5472 x 3648 pixels. It fails to upload with the empty "Alert" message.
I opened that image in Photoshop, made no changes, and saved it as a full-size Jpeg with quality=8 which is the "go-to" setting for most folks. The size was 3.4 MB.

Here is that image from Photoshop, full-size (5472 x 3648), saved as Jpeg with Quality=8.

More to follow, I want to first see what the RL software does with this.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:32 AM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcorenman
Here is that image from Photoshop, full-size (5472 x 3648), saved as Jpeg with Quality=8.
...snip...
More to follow, I want to first see what the RL software does with this.
OK, now we're getting somewhere: The uploaded 5472 x 3648 image, when downloaded, was 2000 x 1333, size was 748KB.
So the RL software IS downsizing large images, which is completely reasonable.

I went back to photoshop, downsized the original to the same 2000x1333 and saved that, Quality=8 ("High") was 853KB and Q=10 ("Max") was 1,336KB. Those both uploaded OK, here's the Q=8 ("High") version:

More to follow, I want to see if RL treats this the same as the full-size version.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:45 AM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

... More to follow, I want to see if RL treats this the same as the full-size version.
OK, that worked as expected-- clicking on the image (to open it separately) and then saving it was the same 2000x1333 image size, with a slightly smaller filesize than the original-- so there is some resampling going on.

Here's there same 2000x1333 image but saved as a Q=12 ("Ludricous quality") Jpeg:

Old 06-15-2021, 11:53 AM
skpyle
Rennlist Member

Gentlemen,

Please accept my thanks for all your help in figuring this out!!! I don't pretend to know what I am doing in the digital world, but have gotten by. Now that I am stuck, I am glad for the help in this.

Robb, thank you for clarifying 'uploading' vs 'downloading'. My confusion comes from my day(night) job as a Maintenance Technician. I work with AB PLC's. We download a program to the controller and upload the program from the controller. Sorry for the hassle.

Jim, very many thanks to you for taking this and going with it!

Now...I have a stupid question. I am gathering that the photos from my Canon are too large. OK, I get that. However...why was I able to upload 30 photos from my Canon to the three posts in the referenced RL thread?

Thanks again!

I am paying attention to this thread, and will cheerfully, nee, GRATEFULLY, answer any questions I can.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:14 PM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

Here's there same 2000x1333 image but saved as a Q=12 ("Ludricous quality") Jpeg ...
And that image, when clicked on and downloaded, was 815 KB-- only slightly larger than the Q=8 "High" quality version.

So that all seems completely reasonable: RL is downsizing large images to 2000x1333 (assuming a normal 3:2 aspect ratio) and resampling to the equivalent of Jpeg quality=8 (what Photoshop calls "High").

So why it is failing for Seth? Here's a test for file-size, a full-size (6517x4345) ludicrous-quality version of an image I posted in the SITM thread. File size is around 20MB, let's see what happens:

Testing the file-size versus image-size theory, here is the same image (6517x4345) resampled (by JPEGmini) to "high" quality (around 6.5MB) and worked OK:

So big images are fine and get downsized and resampled down to 2000-pix, but large file sizes cause the silly "Alert" message.

My guess is the max is 10MB or so, which seems reasonable but straight-from-the-camera Jpeg images like Seth's don't have a lot (if any) JPeg compression. That's something that takes serious processing so it would be helpful if RL was a bit more forgiving. And certainly, the error message should be more helpful ...

Seth, have a look at your camera. I am not familiar with the Canon Powershot, but most cameras have a selection for image format. "Large" would be the full sensor size, but look for a compression setting-- most Canon cameras have a selection for "Superfine", "Fine", and "Normal". What Canon calls "Fine" is what I would call "Normal", so if you have "Superfine" selected then try changing that to "Fine". Then look at the file-size of the image files, somewhere around 5-8 MB is as good as it gets for that image size.

Cheers, Jim
Old 06-15-2021, 12:18 PM
Robb M.
IB Staff

our upload limit is set to 20mb, so this is still a mystery to me. from everything I can see, the full size image at 10.5mb is well within the limit and should upload as expected.

thanks, Jim for your efforts to assist in diagnosing where the issue lies!

Quick Reply: No longer able to download photos, get 'Alert' message