Notices

8/1 Testing New Infinite Scrolling Theme For Some Users

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So, I had 1/2 hour this morning to check out rennlist.

I just spent that half an hour trying to figure out wtf happened to my rennlist - AGAIN.

The infinitive scrolling sucks.

Why when I figured out how to opt out last time, do you go and change it back again? Didn't get the hint the first time?

I'm sure somewhere on this thread it will hopefully tell me how to get rid of the infinite scrolling - AGAIN.

Thanks for wasting my morning though.

(PS: I bet a lot of your users are just bamboozled. Not good for business)
Old 09-09-2017, 01:56 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
I'm sure somewhere on this thread it will hopefully tell me how to get rid of the infinite scrolling - AGAIN.
"To align the velocity of the user's synergy experience with the core asks and wants the user interface has been cleaned up."

Aka anything customer control related has been deleted.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:09 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Unable to post puctures since latest change 48 hours ago. Using iPad.

Have posted many pictures so this is not a how to post.

This is a I want my old Rennlist back post.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Change for the sake of change.

I see this a lot at work, some I.T nerd has everything running smooth, so there's not much for him to do, therefore he must do "something"
The GUI needs an update here, nip/tuck there, and VIOLA! systems start to fail, and now IT guys are busy.

I don't pretend to know their job, don't really care. I do know that most of us get used to a way the screen works, looks, and in general, how it "feels" And do not feel change for the sake of change is necessary.

I also don't think any amount of complaining will bear any fruit. These types of guys will not give a rats *** about how we want things, they "know better" and "have deemed all change necessary and irreversible"

The only thing we can do, is vote with our wallets. When it comes time renew my "membership" I'll remind my self that the site is not the same as the site was when I wanted to sign on as a paying member.

Greg.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by gregs04.5
I see this a lot at work, some I.T nerd has everything running smooth, so there's not much for him to do, therefore he must do "something"
The GUI needs an update here, nip/tuck there, and VIOLA! systems start to fail, and now IT guys are busy.

I don't pretend to know their job, don't really care. I do know that most of us get used to a way the screen works, looks, and in general, how it "feels" And do not feel change for the sake of change is necessary.

I also don't think any amount of complaining will bear any fruit. These types of guys will not give a rats *** about how we want things, they "know better" and "have deemed all change necessary and irreversible"

The only thing we can do, is vote with our wallets. When it comes time renew my "membership" I'll remind my self that the site is not the same as the site was when I wanted to sign on as a paying member.

Greg.
Me except I would do it extra hours as a contractor so I could invest it, retire early and by Porsches. Don't knock it till you tried it.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basic test post.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by gregs04.5
I disagree. I think these changes are driven top-down.

Why?

This morning, when I went to Rennlist on my iPad I, for the first time ever, saw banner ads in between thread posts. Maybe one ad for every five posts.

I double-checked to make sure my login cookie was still baked: yup I was logged-on as a paying member but, nevertheless, ads in the body of threads.

This interface "enhancement" has as it's first priority to get more eyeballs and clicks on and through ads. Any 'experience enhancement' is secondary.

This IS the model for every free social website. Features for advertisers come first, are tested, and work. Features for members are secondary, poorly tested, and drive users nuts. It makes sense since advertisers pay (indirectly) for bandwidth and hosting while users pay nothing.

Except.... we - many of us - DO PAY.

I would pay extra for a premium member ship that resulted in a browser experience that:
a) doesn't need 80% of the javascript disabled to be usable
b) gets rid of all ads (except perhaps banner ads; like the old days.)
c) isn't subjected to the beta-test experience for features intended for click-bait.
d) doesn't enable tracking by third parties (e.g. do-no-evil corp, virusbook, etc.)
e) has something resembling an SLA of less than 6 weeks when things break (remember that the member website server was MIA for 6 weeks.)
Old 09-10-2017, 09:22 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Absolutely no reason to pay again with all this ad crap.
Made my last payment here.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
I disagree. I think these changes are driven top-down.

Why?

This morning, when I went to Rennlist on my iPad I, for the first time ever, saw banner ads in between thread posts. Maybe one ad for every five posts.

I double-checked to make sure my login cookie was still baked: yup I was logged-on as a paying member but, nevertheless, ads in the body of threads.

This interface "enhancement" has as it's first priority to get more eyeballs and clicks on and through ads. Any 'experience enhancement' is secondary.

This IS the model for every free social website. Features for advertisers come first, are tested, and work. Features for members are secondary, poorly tested, and drive users nuts. It makes sense since advertisers pay (indirectly) for bandwidth and hosting while users pay nothing.

Except.... we - many of us - DO PAY.
[...]
I'm not sure. I bet that the new code actually makes it harder to control ad display. Infinite scrolling is kind of random by nature. Which might include showing those you have seen to logged in paying users by accident.

Of course there was a planned increase in ad space, but combining it with that infinite scroll nonsense might have been engineering-born.

Also, what happened to that trainwreck vBulletin 5? Did they give up on it?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:51 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
I'm not sure. I bet that the new code actually makes it harder to control ad display. Infinite scrolling is kind of random by nature. Which might include showing those you have seen to logged in paying users by accident.
Soooo.... you're saying that IB's software development process results in features by accident?

I'm just going to leave that here...

Last edited by worf928; 09-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:58 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Can you please roll back all these changes? Getting really annoying now.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
Can you please roll back all these changes? Getting really annoying now.
Do you have any evidence that any of the overseers monitor this thread???
Old 10-26-2017, 04:26 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993Maineiac
Do you have any evidence that any of the overseers monitor this thread???
No.

Those stuck "quick reply" dialog boxes that refuse to go away prevent me from seeing much of anything.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

It is getting worse all the time.

I am now having problems with getting stuck at the bottom of the page and fighting to scroll to the top. I also get random ads starting. Nothing more annoying then having some ad start making all this noise for no reason.

Not sure if I can live with this crap much longer.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm on Rennlist maybe 50% of what I was before this **** up.
Just to annoying and I have made my last payment until its fixed.

Quick Reply: 8/1 Testing New Infinite Scrolling Theme For Some Users