Notices

This mornings KIJIJI Rant- O/T

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts
Default This mornings KIJIJI Rant- O/T

okay we have all dealt with it . selling something on Kiji and the lowballers and bottom dwellers come out. Personally as a rule I find nothing wrong with that, takes all kinds ... and I know what I am getting into ..

So I have the a6 sitting in the driveway so I decide to throw it on Kijiji with a pic. Selling my A6 as a parts car for 500 bucks .. I figure what the hell.. if someone is parting out these cars for parts 500 bucks might not be a bad deal , they will get that back on a few engine pieces right off the bat.

so I list it and so far have had 10 calls .. I waited to get 10 to post this message.. the statistics below are interesting . Every person who emailed me I spoke t on the phone as I got interested in the study more than anything.

7 of the people who called me were I would say " no accent" .. all 7 were very polite ( one I will actually sell the car too ) asked relevant questions, ad maybe not all were 10s on the social scale, but ended the conversation with "thanks anyway " or Il keep looking etc.. or just il get back to you ..

the other 3 had very heavy accents , I would say Eastern European based on people I know from that part of the world but I could not say specifically .

All three were the rudest of rude, asked me a bunch of questions that were already in the add , one said that milage is way too high ( even though it was in the add ) all lowballed and one said I should be happy to take his hundred bucks . I totally get that people from this part of the world are running businesses in that and maybe don't really have time for the chit chat ( as this is how they make there honest living ) , or maybe this is a cultural thing .

I do believe that manners should be manners no matter where around the world you go and there is a common decency that should apply.
You want to live in a country that has adopted you .. or even if you are born in that country . Act decently to all people and represent your culture with pride.

Before you guys all get on your high horses and start burning me to the ground , understand that I don't think this of all immigrants , or people from that part of the world , but shows you how people can start to form that opinion when they are exposed to this behavior.

Hell I even like Stan and Vlad and I hardly like anybody .. and they are Russian

Last edited by theiceman; 05-04-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:26 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree on your Kijijijijiji experiences. I do find that price will weed out the stupid people. The lower the price, the more bottom feeders are attracted. $30k car? people with 30k.
5oo dollar car. Everybody on the internet. Wait until you get someone wanting you to ship the car?
I was giving away some snow tire on my other subaru site. People asking if I could deliver? Could I hold them for a few weeks? Eventually they went to a guy building a restoring cars with underprivileged kids.
Be patient. You will find a home for this. The best feeling, will be the empty space in your driveway. Ahhhh, its gone.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

K-W is full of Serbians (I'm from Serbia but I'm a Hungarian), you likely came across one of them. I'm going to get crap for this but so be it, lived there for 16 years so this is my personal opinion. The Serbian culture (not the ones that were born or raised in Canada) is very abrasive when it comes to business dealings with others (especially non Serbs). They often want to establish dominance over the other person by talking down to them and purposefully make them feel inferior so they give in to their business "demands". VW and Audis are a status symbols in Serbia so there is high demand in the K-W for cheap VWs/Audis by those that want to flip them to other newly immigrated Serbians. Next time you come across an Ahole like this, threat them the same way as they do you, tell them to F off and the......then listen to the steroid rage come out of them.

Also, I would avoid putting my phone number in the add, my preference is emails.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah I think you are right Imre , I should have just gone with Email and called them back.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Selling low price items on Kijiji always brings out the slugs.
Donate it to Kidney car or something like it, get the tax receipt and walk away.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:44 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Donate it to Kidney car or something like it, get the tax receipt and walk away.
Good karma
Old 05-04-2016, 02:34 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 305 Likes on 209 Posts

As I get older I have a hard time not stereotyping.
And I lead by example. lol
Old 05-04-2016, 02:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
As I get older I have a hard time not stereotyping.
And I lead by example. lol
I think that's because as we get older our database of experiences starts to pile up .. I don't see how that can not happen ...
Old 05-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

I have had good success with advertising on kijij in the last two days (sold my 993 cover)and got a response from Rod 911 today.
I never put my phone number and like to use the app on my phone to post and reply to messages.
something new is email messages go through kijiji now so it is hard to send photos without getting the persons email.
Regarding your car I think you can get $400 from a wrecker but you have to get it to them.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

This doesn't work like it used to. Now they must actuation off the car and you only get the tax receipt based the auction price......so int his case that would be just about zero. Value of scrap cars around here is half of TO.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:17 PM
wc11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Imo000
This doesn't work like it used to. Now they must actuation off the car and you only get the tax receipt based the auction price......so int his case that would be just about zero. Value of scrap cars around here is half of TO.
http://www.kidney.ca/kidney-car/faq#procedure

..and they pick up the car within 48 hours for free!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:58 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Any running car is worth at minimum $500. Anybody that tries to bargain that down is an idiot.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

http://www.kidney.ca/kidney-car/faq#procedure

..and they pick up the car within 48 hours for free!
The local junkyard will deduct some for the towing but at the end, you get a heck of a more than the taxes from a scrap value. Financially, donating this car makes no sense.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 PM
wc11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Imo000
The local junkyard will deduct some for the towing but at the end, you get a heck of a more than the taxes from a scrap value. Financially, donating this car makes no sense.
Agreed but time is money and all the grief one may go through for $500, I'd just as soon call and have them pick it up for free and not even care what tax receipt I'd get back.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:59 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

Just saying'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...i-ad-1.2712188

Quick Reply: This mornings KIJIJI Rant- O/T