Notices

Winter Storage Pics....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by switch911
Great thread -- I am in Alberta and I stored my car on oct 1.

Did an oil change, filled up the tank and put an extra 5lbs in each tire. Covered and called it good.

It is stored in my detached non-heated garage -- is it worth me doing the styrofoam treatment under the tires? First time I have seen this.
There is a reason you have never seen this..... don't worry about it. A non issue unless you are storing for years.

Originally Posted by vern1
Styrofoam?? you should really put 4 virgins under the tires as its a Porsche after all

You guys kill me with the foams, anti fatigue mats etc

At least in the spring the virgins can be recycled for other purposes
Send me your 4 virgins. I will make sure they are taken care of.... +1 on the excessive storage superstitions.

While I understand (and also don't do) driving in the snow with the GT (only because I have a car for that purpose), as soon as the roads are 90% dry (not worried about the salt) I will take the car out for a drive and I then never have to suffer withdrawals.....
Old 11-14-2013, 02:21 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Sleep tight!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:37 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

I'm just curious. There's lots of talk here about tire protection during winter storage. I have been winter storing cars for over 15 year. I have stored cars sitting on Bridgestone SO-2, RE71, Toyo, and a few others and all I have ever done is over inflate the tires to 50 psi. The tires sat directly on concrete and I have never had a flat spot or had the tire prematurely wear out. Is this really a problem and I have just been 15 years lucky?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
I'm just curious. There's lots of talk here about tire protection during winter storage. I have been winter storing cars for over 15 year. I have stored cars sitting on Bridgestone SO-2, RE71, Toyo, and a few others and all I have ever done is over inflate the tires to 50 psi. The tires sat directly on concrete and I have never had a flat spot or had the tire prematurely wear out. Is this really a problem and I have just been 15 years lucky?
I don't even over inflate my tires.
They're replaced every 3 or so years anyway because of wear.
Even in summer, when I haven't driven in a week, the vibration is there til the tire warm up then the problems gone.
I park on rubber mats because rubber can suffer from dry rot on bare concrete.
If your floor is painted or tiles, I can't imagine it being a problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:00 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wc11
I don't even over inflate my tires. They're replaced every 3 or so years anyway because of wear. Even in summer, when I haven't driven in a week, the vibration is there til the tire warm up then the problems gone. I park on rubber mats because rubber can suffer from dry rot on bare concrete. If your floor is painted or tiles, I can't imagine it being a problem.
I've never stored on painted concrete or tile. Just smooth and rough concrete. No rot.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 451 Posts

Here's my winter storage spot....I know something is missing
Old 11-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Pedrcri
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that if the garage is warm then the tire will hold its shape and not deform. But if your garage is freezing cold then the tires will harden and start to take the saging shape which is more commonly know as flat spotting. soft tire compounds dont like cold and get brittle when cold. so if you have a warm garage then you should have much problem. it is when the tires are left in the cold will they have problems if left for long periods. but hey I could be wrong. Im no tire scientist!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I have stored one of mine for 5 years on ice cold concrete (unpainted *gasp*) and they are under inflated half the time as I have a slow leak. Every spring I pull it out and after a minute, no issues, no flat spotting and no tire rot (and sadly, no virgins)

Honestly this is one of those things that P-guys obsess about but i have never heard of anyones tires being permantely damaged from not storing on anti fatigue mats (not that theres anything wrong with that!)
Old 11-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

^^^ yup spent 8 years working for one of the global tire majors. Nothing to worry about over the winter storage season. A little extra PSI never hurts but that's all you really have to do at most.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:39 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Until next year!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 PM
King Luis
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedrcri
I believe that if the garage is warm then the tire will hold its shape and not deform. But if your garage is freezing cold then the tires will harden and start to take the saging shape which is more commonly know as flat spotting. soft tire compounds dont like cold and get brittle when cold. so if you have a warm garage then you should have much problem. it is when the tires are left in the cold will they have problems if left for long periods. but hey I could be wrong. Im no tire scientist!
well look who it is brother.
anyways the weight of the car creates the flat spot. bumping the air pressure can help keep the tire in a good shape. old beat tires (or worn out ones) might flat spot easier but who knows if they will or now. don't put any dressings on the tires either.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A little update: I picked up 4 virgins this morning, drugged them and installed them in my garage. So far so good, fingers crossed for no flat spots.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:36 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Sold my 85 and just put the 87 in her winter bed. Cover and tender.
Geez, I don't know which close-up I like better!
Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbin'
What are you guys putting under the tires
I've thought about using my kids. Or cats.

Last edited by curtisr; 11-20-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

sleep time....

See you next spring!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Pics....