Notices

Front Plate?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013 | 01:41 PM
AdamatCraven
Former Vendor

We make a great no drill front license plate mount we call The Platypus, it utilizes the tow hook eye that is hidden on your bumper for mounting your license plate.

The Platypus features;
Will NOT interfere with your parking sensors
Quick removal for shows and track days
Inflexible Construction with Stainless Hardware
Euro Plate optional fitting
Made in the USA!

If you're interested, check us out www.cravenspeed.com/the-platypus-license-plate-mount/

Members can PM me for a coupon code!

We've got models for Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, 911, Panamera.
Old 12-19-2013 | 06:43 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

What about a plate copy wrap? I've been meaning to look into it. Legal? Any lawyers out there? Mine's in a different area of law.

I don't have the front plate installed on the 991, It's sitting on a shelf in the garage and just can't bring myself to putting the moustache on Mona Lisa.

I really didn't like it after seeing cars in Nova Scotia with out.
Old 12-19-2013 | 07:02 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Oh- and apologies for getting caught up in the question;
Congrats on the car! But please.. Don't drive after drilling.
Old 12-19-2013 | 10:21 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Okay, new idea; Let's get legislation.
Have an exception for certain cars and in effect pre pay for the fine.
Anyone else know a MLA to help.
KF
Old 12-20-2013 | 08:57 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sir5n
What about a plate copy wrap? I've been meaning to look into it. Legal?
Illegal. It might prevent you from getting pulled over because at speed, it might look like a real plate to a cop. If they realize it's not, you're SOL.

Originally Posted by Sir5n
Okay, new idea; Let's get legislation.
Have an exception for certain cars and in effect pre pay for the fine.
Anyone else know a MLA to help.
KF
I'd pay, but we all know this will never happen. I don't mind paying the fine, it's the inconvenience of getting pulled over that made me eventually plate my last two toys. I got pulled over the second day I owned the RS for no plate!
Old 12-20-2013 | 04:32 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Illegal. It might prevent you from getting pulled over because at speed, it might look like a real plate to a cop. If they realize it's not, you're SOL.
Just looking at the Ontario Highway Traffic Act on line, and this would definitely be illegal. One could also be arrested for using a bogus front plate. Contraventions under sections 12(1) and 13(1) - involving number plates - might get one arrested (217(2)) as opposed to a simple ticket. Could ruin ones day for sure...SOL indeed.
Old 12-20-2013 | 04:44 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by AdamatCraven
We make a great no drill front license plate mount we call The Platypus, it utilizes the tow hook eye that is hidden on your bumper for mounting your license plate.

The Platypus features;
Will NOT interfere with your parking sensors
Quick removal for shows and track days
Inflexible Construction with Stainless Hardware
Euro Plate optional fitting
Made in the USA!

If you're interested, check us out www.cravenspeed.com/the-platypus-license-plate-mount/

Members can PM me for a coupon code!

We've got models for Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, 911, Panamera.
This is a great idea.

The downside is that it looks very "ricer" having the licesne plate offset like that.

I've also seen mounts that attach under the car and come forward and up in front of the bumper. It even folded itself under the car at the push of a button - which is pretty cool.

Another idea: if you have a clear bra or wrap on the front bumper, I wonder if you could use 3M velcro or something? You wouldn't have to be concerned with the adhesive on a clear bra, the only concern would be with it not being strong enough to hold at speed (more velcro?).
Old 12-20-2013 | 05:42 PM
AdamatCraven
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
This is a great idea.

The downside is that it looks very "ricer" having the licesne plate offset like that.

I've also seen mounts that attach under the car and come forward and up in front of the bumper. It even folded itself under the car at the push of a button - which is pretty cool.

Another idea: if you have a clear bra or wrap on the front bumper, I wonder if you could use 3M velcro or something? You wouldn't have to be concerned with the adhesive on a clear bra, the only concern would be with it not being strong enough to hold at speed (more velcro?).
I hear you, I think its a matter of taste, but it also serves a purpose.

I personally dislike a centered plate, and prefer the offset. (and for me, the ability to remove it in under a minute anytime I'd like, is a huge win). I wouldn't suggest any sort of velcro, or double sided tape, but in theory it would work around town without too much trouble. (Although, up here in the Pacific Northwest, the rain would give you some trouble as well)
Old 12-20-2013 | 06:11 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Just looking at the Ontario Highway Traffic Act on line, and this would definitely be illegal. One could also be arrested for using a bogus front plate. Contraventions under sections 12(1) and 13(1) - involving number plates - might get one arrested (217(2)) as opposed to a simple ticket. Could ruin ones day for sure...SOL indeed.
Link for the lazy? I am curious what the wording is.
Old 12-20-2013 | 07:31 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Link for the lazy? I am curious what the wording is.
www.lookitupyourself.ca
Old 12-20-2013 | 07:57 PM
Pags993
Drifting

^^^ LOL, all this back and forth about front plates, it's the law put the damn thing on. If you choose not to because of the look I personally thank you for the extra revenue you submit to the province on a fairly regular basis.

Think of the cool mods you could fund if you avoided paying the tickets and extra insurance premiums for rolling sans front plates
Old 12-20-2013 | 10:10 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Imo000
www.lookitupyourself.ca
LOL

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm
Old 12-21-2013 | 11:19 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
Well the wording of those two sections would not preclude using a sticker for a front plate. Those two sections are written to cover the case of using plates that are meant for another car or gotten under false pretenses.

Section 13 is about making identification difficult by obscuring plates or having plates with other numbers on the car.

I didn't stay in holiday inn nor am I a lawyer, but that is how I read those two sections

(Thanks for the link)

Originally Posted by Imo000
www.lookitupyourself.ca
You know how lazy I am.......
Old 12-21-2013 | 11:38 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Well the wording of those two sections would not preclude using a sticker for a front plate. Those two sections are written to cover the case of using plates that are meant for another car or gotten under false pretenses. Section 13 is about making identification difficult by obscuring plates or having plates with other numbers on the car. I didn't stay in holiday inn nor am I a lawyer, but that is how I read those two sections (Thanks for the link) You know how lazy I am.......
If you use something that's not authorized by the Ministry (and a copy of a plate isn't) than you're toast.
Old 01-19-2014 | 01:30 AM
Soni
Track Day

how about this hide the plate

Quick Reply: Front Plate?????