Notices

Front Plate?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The car is getting a half clear bra. The 997.2S I traded in was also guards red and similar to yours. It won't be "wrapped" in plastic just the half bra and half front fenders. The tow option does block the sensor which sets off the proximity alarm. The manufacturer also warns about cars with sensors. Unfortunately, I don't like the look of the plate off to the side. I am crazy about symetrical looks. The custom plates will suit the car when on display and with a graphite cover should blend in. Best solution is for Ontario to get rid of them and save money at the same time. I never understood the purpose of front plates. I'm not worried about re-sale. If anyone ever wants it down the road they won't have many to choose from. Thorsen transport picks up the car tomorrow in Halifax with arrival to Pfaff on Friday. Pick-up will be Saturday or Monday. Now I just have to figure out how to post pictures. I'll find out the limited number XXXX/1963 and then I will check if it's the lowest number in North America. Keep in mind I ordered this car 2 years ago with a deposit before they even knew it was being built and I was the first order in North America. One last thing. There is another reason why a front plate is a negative. The car has the X-51 powerkit that includes a third radiator in the centre. The front plate will partially block that.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I vote no front plate. Like you said... concours car... I left the front plate off my '86 for about 4-5 months of daily driving without an issue. When I got pulled over, I told the cop I was waiting for the bracket (true story... kind of) and his response (no joke) "oh, don't worry I just wanted to check out your car". He let me go, and didn't even give a warning. Given that I was daily driving the car at the time though I put it on a few weeks after.

If concerned, I agree with velcro as a solution. Apply it on top of the clear coat.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:34 AM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Front Rad - these cars are designed to be sold all over the world, lucky for you Canada is fairly cool. I can image the 3rd rad being necessary in the middle east or south Asia where its 40 degrees with 80%+ humidity for most of the year.

No Plate Options
Since you're planning to drive it 3-4k a year. I'd opt for no plate, since its a concours car and you want to display it, aesthetically its the way to go. Some of the older cars had front plate holders moulded into the bumper. The newer cars don't and it just looks terrible.

There are some great non tow hook options since your bumper will be clear bra'd they should work well for you...

Double sided tape or velcro might be a good quick fix.

But you might also want to look into taking the front bumper off, gluing some magnets to the inside of the bumper and back of the plate. It's probably the cleanest solution and should be really inexpensive.

Especially since if you get the clear bra put on, the best way to do it would be remove the front bumper so there are no edges. So you can the installed to just put the magnets in that day.

ie:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112899

I am probably going to go the magnet route soon, for a cleaner look.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

I think the extra front radiator is there for track use and not hot climates. I won't be glueing or velcroing.It's either drill and no worries or go without for the look but constantly looking for cops. I drive on a road called the Allen expressway quite a bit. There are frequently cops there with their laser guns. No front plate probably means pulled over + hassle. Porsche needs to design a removable non-drill bracket.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Punko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a print shop to take a picture of your front plate and make a vinyl sticker.

No drilling...but paint may fade or look different under it once removed.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Fitting legally required plates will have zero impact in a Concours. No points loss. Most older car come with their front plates and that is generally true in Europe. It seems to be a North American thing. Maybe because I am European, I never really notice.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Nooch
Racer

I've done as punko suggests, and no problem for the past 3 years/ I made 7-8 copies. Keep the original plate on the back floor, peel and replace as necessary when the colours start to fade. Comes off readily, with no paint damage....would have had to pay the extra to replace the metal one when this happened:
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2013, 06:50 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ put the plate on if it has no impact. Although if you are able to spend that type of dough on a car you aren't going to drive, a ticket or two should not be a bother. I wish I had your problems !
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I ran without a front plate for a tear and then got 2 tickets in a matter of weeks... Fighting both !

The problem is if u dont get off of the tickets they will impact your insurance. Most companies go by 2 tickets is ok and the 3rd and your high risk. So unless i had a CGT id always have my front plate on
Old 10-30-2013, 11:29 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nooch
I've done as punko suggests, and no problem for the past 3 years/ I made 7-8 copies. Keep the original plate on the back floor, peel and replace as necessary when the colours start to fade. Comes off readily, with no paint damage....would have had to pay the extra to replace the metal one when this happened:
Using a "copy" of a license plate is a more serious offence than having no front plate...here in Ontario anyway.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Good luck on the car. Mount the front plate and enjoy your car. Car will not be worth less because you have mounted a front plate.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:06 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Skene bracket which works well. If you have parking sensors in the front then the "plug" bracket won't work. The Skene bracket only requires two little holes drilled up into the front. They don't show looking from the front. You'll need the "medium" one in order to keep the plate a little higher than normal and avoid blocking air into the centre front radiator on cars with X51 which I believe comes standard with the 911_50.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:07 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Saw this on a 997.2 Tubo yesterday.
Interesting idea mounted below although it does block the rad.
Looks like just little L brackets. Notice the radar ??
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Car arrived at Pfaff 10am. Being prepped and will pick it up monday morning. 104/1963 may make it the lowest NA number. As Jerry Seinfeld said......a dead mans car.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
it's not as if you're causing Ferry Porsche to turn over in his grave by drilling the bumper.
That's already happened now with the stretch Panamera introduction for Chinese sweatshop owners so Ferry rolling over for a plate mount is not even on his list for things to roll over for...

Quick Reply: Front Plate?????