Track Day Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Day Insurance?

Hi,

I just moved back to Canada after being abroad for almost 10years and just purchased an '04 GT3. I'm looking forward to doing some track days next year but I'm wondering about insurance. I checked with my agent (State Farm) and they said they had never been asked about track days before ?! After some 'investigation' they said that I would only be covered if was driving "...according to the rules of the road".

Any advice as to whom I should speak with?? I've done several searches and have not found anything of value. Since Track Days (DE events) are now common in Canada and the U.S. I would have thought it would be fairly easy to get it in Canada?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:19 PM
dawich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am looking forward to this being answered.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Track insurance ???
Good Lord you must be a newbie.
If you wad it up you pay for the repairs.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpit77
Track insurance ???
Uh, he's not the only newbie, apparently.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...the-track.html

Care for some crow?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Track insurance ???
I'm not sure if your comments are supposed to be tongue and cheek or are you stating that there's no such thing as track insurance?

I lived in Germany and the U.K. and track day insurance is very common. Yes, many normal policies exclude such events but it's easy to purchase extra coverage.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Hi Alex,

Track-day insurance comes in two formats:
- Insurance "off-course" for storage, transport etc. of non-street legal vehicles. A company out of the Great Province of Alberta provides this: http://www.competition.ca/

- Insurance incase you wad your car up on the track used to be provided by a US company but I don't believe is available anymore in Canada. If it's an educational event/non-competitive event, take a look at the thread Christien posted. But as for insuring and open wheeler or cup car, that's not available anymore.

Edit: One of the motorcycle racers was telling me about on-track insurance. I'll try to bug him for more info and circle back to this thread. Torontoworker on here is an extremely knowledgable person to consult on these matters as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Guys, read the thread I linked. Insurance companies in Ontario are required by law to cover you at a DE. So long as you're not racing (as defined by the court) they can't deny your claim.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
Guys, read the thread I linked. Insurance companies in Ontario are required by law to cover you at a DE. So long as you're not racing (as defined by the court) they can't deny your claim.
That's true and I, personally, have been the beneficiary of such coverage. At a formally organized DE by an organization like PCA where all run groups get instructor time, where timing is strictly prohibited, where there are formal rules and controlled passing, an incident should be covered. At a commercial track day or just a private track day, you probably need to be self insured in my opinion.

Some insurance co's are being quite aggressive in rejecting claims on the basis of undeclared modifications or even blatantly ignoring the recent decisions - forcing you into a fight to get the coverage you are due. In this case I have not experienced this issue but one of RL guys recently posted that he has. So its absolutely not a dumb question to ask.

Someone told me that some tracks will sell you track day collision coverage - I've never looked into it but it may be something to ask the tracks you are thinking of running at.

I have always operated under the assumption that I would be covered at DEs but I also made sure that I could absorb a total loss at the track if I had to. If you could not afford this then maybe better to not go or find this 3rd party coverage.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

From another thread. Apparently this broker offers coverage here in ON for trackdays:

PIB Insurance
Mark Hodgkinson 1-519-669-5694
email Marc.hodgkinson@pib.com
Old 12-29-2012, 09:41 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I think it's a matter of time before the insurance industry up here tap's into the track day market as far as offering specific track day coverage such as we see in the US. I guess it would be a matter of price point for some if your tracking a 944 and the policy is an extra $100 on top of your track fee. Running a GT3RS and having to pay $200 might be peace of mind?
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 AM
dawich
Instructor

Thanks for the information. I am looking forward to a Downtown Porsche instructional day at Mosport and wanted to make sure I was covered. Sounds like I am for the "instructional" day.

PS Probably not smart to make disparaging "Newbie" comments on this forum. You never know when it might backfire.

Thanks guys and a happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 AM
dawich
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christien
Uh, he's not the only newbie, apparently.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...the-track.html

Care for some crow?
Great link. Will print out just in case.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

PIB - does indeed offer track insurance added to your policy...if you are really concerned - give him a call...the cost is not that outrages but I believe you have to get your car insurance with them...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Xpit77
Racer

So let me get this straight.
Some people on this board think they can wad their car up at a race track and your policy will cover it.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:41 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So let me get this straight.
Some people on this board think they can wad their car up at a race track and your policy will cover it.
Not something that "some people think", but something that some people have experienced already.

Quick Reply: Track Day Insurance?