Notices

Undercoating 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM
tarbender
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercoating 993

I will be driving my 993 over the winter only on clear days with the roads clear of course. Am thinking of getting undercoating rust protection for the car. Anybody do this? I know that the 997s don't need it but pretty sure the 993 does not have the same factory undercoating spray as the 997. What are your thoughts on this and any recommendations on where to get it undercoated?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:15 PM
mozsan
Advanced

I've had mine recetly sprayed at 3590 St. Clair Ave. E. (Krown) upon recommendation of a bodyshop guy I trust: "no brainer, just do it"...Cannot vouch for end results though, but sounds like there's little or no downside.No affiliation.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by tarbender
What are your thoughts on this and any recommendations on where to get it undercoated?
I take it all you want to do is the underside because otherwise they will drill holes in your body panels above the rocker panels.

Speaking from 22 year of experience with the product, Krown is the way to go.

First car was a 90 Toyota sold 16 years later, rust free.
Second car is a 99 Honda and 13 years later, rust free. Pic at year twelve.
Both cars have gone through harsh winters with lots of road salt.

You want to use Krown T40 (tan coloured) and not T32 (red coloured). The T40 is thicker.

The good thing is it can be washed off with a degreaser such as Facto AT30 if you ever want to remove it.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:25 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to have them remove the undertray if you still have it on. Add it for winter, remove it for summer.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
tarbender
Instructor

I called Krown on Queensway and they don't remove the undertray. They said they spray in between and let the oil creep to other spots. Cost to spray wheel wells and underside is $60. No drilling and spraying of doors. I think I will give it a shot.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by tarbender
No drilling and spraying of doors.
...or any other panel.

Make sure you state that when you are at the service counter and keep an eye on the person applying the product to make sure they don't go at it with their drill. They tend to be in "production run" mode and might forget. In fact, talk to the applicator.

As for the doors and engine lid, you can buy a spray can of Krown with nozzle and just give the bottoms of those panels a shot of spray through the drain holes.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:52 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

My 86 has a factory undercoating that would make aftermarket spray pretty useless as there isn't any exposed metal. Spraying the underbody would just make it for a messy time if any repairs are needed.
Are you sure your car needs this?
Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 278 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't know why you'd do this if you're not driving in salty slush. The galvanized metal will outlast us all.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are certainly hard to put away when the winter comes as many will attest, but as good as the galvanized bodies of these cars are they still can and will rust especially around the windshield area if given enough opportunity. My previous '98 C4S, which was used throughout the winter, required rust repair work around the windshield long before I purchased it in 2008. I like the Krown Rust Control product as it does a great job of protecting the underside of the car and inside of the seams where the product can reach. (I have been using it for close to 20 years on my Subaru cars.) The only problems with Krown is that it cannot protect the windshield area and it will attack the rubber seals. In time the seals stretch, lose their shape and can look pretty unsightly. The cost of replacing the door seals on the 993 is $600. I need to now replace the door seals on my Subaru but my car is 14 years old and has already served me well. I prefer to store my current Porsche over the winter and drive something else instead.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM
928 at last
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen amazing results with the Rust Check product on my vehicles (not the Porsche, it goes away for the winter) and a Volvo owned by a friend. The Volvo had the application once a year, and at some sixteen years old, the only way you could tell was that the paint was getting faded.....
Old 11-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

I don't think you should do it on a 993 cab or even drive it in winter unless very very dry and then you don't need to undercoat.
if you do decide to spray be sure to park on the street for 2-3 days as the stuff drips on your driveway or garage, and will be very messy for a few months. A benefit is it acts as a lubricant for everything and some parts will move freer after spraying it. I think it will hurt resale as well. but it is your car so do what you want with it.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 at last
I've seen amazing results with the Rust Check product on my vehicles (not the Porsche, it goes away for the winter) and a Volvo owned by a friend. The Volvo had the application once a year, and at some sixteen years old, the only way you could tell was that the paint was getting faded.....
I think I got you beat on this one, I know a driving instructor and racing competitor who still has his 1982 Volvo 242 GLT, he competed this car in the CASC Solo II regionals for several years in the late 1980's and his car was sponsored by Rust Check to this day, this 30 year old car is now at 800,000 km and not a speck of rust since it gets annual Rust Check treatment, that is just amazing with the mileage and rust-free condition of the car, I might get to see this car this Saturday and will take pix if I do.

Quick Reply: Undercoating 993