Notices

Child Seat for '07 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Child Seat for '07 C4S

I have a friend looking for a car seat for 32 pound child. Seat to fit 2007 C4S.
Porsche dealer in Vancouver can't help. The seat sold in the US by/for Porsche Cars is not approved in Canada. Porsche Cars Canada apparantly don't have any listing/approved seat through their sources.

Any ideas out there?

John in Vancouver
Old 07-27-2012, 12:42 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

So far it's been impossible for me to find one. Apparently the Britax Marathon worked but it's been discontinued. There is a poster on the 997 board that secured a Britax Boulevard by using the rear facing holes to loop the belt through with the seat in the forward facing position.

It can be done but depends on your sensitivity to doing it right. We passed.

I actually ordered the US Porsche seat figuring it would be safe even if not approved and it couldn't be fit properly either despite what the Techquipment guide states. It's the height of the seatbelt receptacles that's the problem...just too high so there's no downward pressure on the seat.

There is only 1 solution I'm aware or...get a 991. Kinda pricey to solve the car seat problem...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Here you go:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...car-seats.html
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I know the Combi Kobuck two piece is an excellent fit. The problem is that it's a booster and starts at 38 lbs in Canada and 33 lbs for the identical seat in the US. Easy to find in Canada. About $149 MSRP

GL .
Old 07-28-2012, 06:56 AM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We picked up a Diono RadianRTX from Sears.ca during a sale, around $259.. fits forward facing from 22-120lbs. One of the safest seats on the market. This is in my 2005 911 C2.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....eeEnabled=true

Fits super tight when following a few install pointers but your front passenger will sacrifice some leg room.. but not terrible by any means, my wife can fit comfortably in the front at 5'6".

My words of wisdom: remove the Porsche's back seat - bottom is held on with Velcro (just pull it up), and a few screws for the back rest. This just keeps from damaging the leather and gives you a few inches more to work with. I also had to build up the base/back with a few rolled up towels in order to keep the seat from jiggling around and to get the tether strap tight enough on top. Also worked best to lock the seat belt and then click it into place, way too hard to get a tight fit by clicking it in and then trying to get the seat belt to lock/tighten. Finally I'd recommend using this at the belt clip to keep it extra secure during the belt clicking process, and you may need pliers to get a secure grasp to manipulate it on the tight belt:

It does take time but the finished install is amazing. My wife is extra paranoid when it comes to baby seats (rightfully so) and she is very happy with the tight fit. Just be prepared to never remove this unless absolutely necessary

Last edited by zer026T; 07-28-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do you have any pics of the seat in the car?

I tried one of these in a 996 and there was no way in hell to fit it.

It use to be called the "Sunshine Kids Radian"

Good work.

Originally Posted by zer0260
We picked up a Diono RadianRTX from Sears.ca during a sale, around $259.. fits forward facing from 22-120lbs. One of the safest seats on the market. This is in my 2005 911 C2.

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index....eeEnabled=true

Fits super tight when following a few install pointers but your front passenger will sacrifice some leg room.. but not terrible by any means, my wife can fit comfortably in the front at 5'6".

My words of wisdom: remove the Porsche's back seat - bottom is held on with Velcro (just pull it up), and a few screws for the back rest. This just keeps from damaging the leather and gives you a few inches more to work with. I also had to build up the base/back with a few rolled up towels in order to keep the seat from jiggling around and to get the tether strap tight enough on top. Also worked best to lock the seat belt and then click it into place, way too hard to get a tight fit by clicking it in and then trying to get the seat belt to lock/tighten. Finally I'd recommend using this at the belt clip to keep it extra secure during the belt clicking process, and you may need pliers to get a secure grasp to manipulate it on the tight belt:

It does take time but the finished install is amazing. My wife is extra paranoid when it comes to baby seats (rightfully so) and she is very happy with the tight fit. Just be prepared to never remove this unless absolutely necessary
Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a sunshine kids radian xt in the back of my 996. It will fit but very hard to secure well. I tried removing seat bottom, but i find it fits better with it in.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993

I tried one of these in a 996 and there was no way in hell to fit it.

It use to be called the "Sunshine Kids Radian"

Good work.
+1. Same experience...no way it was secure enough in my 997. Or at least the baby safety store and an independent installer couldn't figure it out...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:53 PM
zer026T
Pro

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Just took a few pics. I padded the seats with towels in order to keep the baby seat from rocking around, that's a must. I have them both under the seat itself, and behind the headrest area just below the tether strap. It looks a little messy but trust me this thing is as solid as if it was part of the car itself. P.S. that black thing under the seat is a foam mat, it does the same thing as the towel. You can also see the leg room in the front compared to my seat position, I'm about 5'10" for reference.

Originally Posted by SharpMan
+1. Same experience...no way it was secure enough in my 997. Or at least the baby safety store and an independent installer couldn't figure it out...
We tried at least three other seats, this was the only one we could make work - everything else was too wide at the base, too tall and hit the back window, too wide at the top, etc. This wasn't a perfect fit right off the bat, it took a lot of time to find the sweet spot, but considering its safety ratings and superb build quality compared to the other brands we tried, I wasn't taking this one back. The seat does sit a bit far ahead, but I'm not sure I can get it in any further back because the 997 seat belt sits so far ahead (that's 50% of the challenge with the install). If I could manage to get the seat belt deeper into the seat we'd have another 4"+ of leg room.
Attached Images      
Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Your pics clearly show the other issue...even if you get the seat in most toddlers legs stick straight out as they aren't long enough to bend over the seat edge...

I'm concerned that in an accident there will be more contact with my sons legs and the front than anticipated in the seats design.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have a set of BK racing brackets that attach to where the rear seat belts should be so you can use the LATCH that the child seat came with. PM me if interested.

Al
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM
zer026T
Pro

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Your pics clearly show the other issue...even if you get the seat in most toddlers legs stick straight out as they aren't long enough to bend over the seat edge...
You're spot on, once my daughter is older I'll have to look at some adjustments, however the room isn't a problem today. That said, the back seat of a 911 isn't the safest place for any passenger, young or old. I expect you'll find the same issue with most other seats that do fit so our decision was to find a reputable brand & model that is safe and fits, then match it up with a very tight install. I think we're all after the magic seat that fits like a glove without compromising leg room or safety, but we're very happy with the product we selected, we're extremely confident with the install, and we have zero concerns with safety. Until one of those factors changes we will continue to enjoy the squeals of excitement coming from the back seat
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zer0260
You're spot on, once my daughter is older I'll have to look at some adjustments, however the room isn't a problem today. That said, the back seat of a 911 isn't the safest place for any passenger, young or old. I expect you'll find the same issue with most other seats that do fit so our decision was to find a reputable brand & model that is safe and fits, then match it up with a very tight install. I think we're all after the magic seat that fits like a glove without compromising leg room or safety, but we're very happy with the product we selected, we're extremely confident with the install, and we have zero concerns with safety. Until one of those factors changes we will continue to enjoy the squeals of excitement coming from the back seat
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump this thread up again...

I ended up with the Sunshine seat - not a great fit with it packed way forward to get tension on the belts. I think it's safe though.

Now I am ready for a booster. Woohoo, easy, Combi Kobuk here I come. But wait! I can't find one in Canada! Their company website is woefully out of date and fairly useless (and Google hasn't turned one up). Does anyone have any leads? Vancouver preferably although I'll get it shipped if needs be.

Cheers Ben
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Lil niblets and baby sprouts had the last time I was in.

1654 Avenue RoadToronto, ONM5M 3Y1T.416-249-9881

GL

Quick Reply: Child Seat for '07 C4S