Canadian Supercar Series

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Supercar Series

Anyone going to be running a car in this event?

Inaugural Canadian Supercar Series event announced

Toronto, February 15th 2012 – Today is a day to be remembered in the Canadian Motorsports community. John Bondar, President of CTCC is proud to announce the launch of his new Canadian Supercar Series (Supercar), a series for high performance and exotic race cars.

Supercar provides an environment for drivers to showcase their race cars and to challenge other car makes of similar performance. With typically over 400 horsepower, Supercar features race cars like Dodge Corvette, Chevrolet Camaro, BMW M3, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ford Mustang, Porsche and many more. Supercar encourages hard but fair competition under a code of respectful driving.

"As a true and deep race fan myself, I have been dreaming of this moment for a long time", declares John Bondar, Founder of Canadian Supercar Series. "I am very excited to launch Supercar today. This series gives the opportunity to race car drivers and to race fans to experience ultra performance racing here in Canada."

The inaugural event for Supercar will be the 43rd edition of the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières (GP3R) in August 2012. In addition, drivers who will compete in this event will battle for the Mayor's Cup. This legendary Cup has been won on multiple occasions by Richard "Dick" Brown and Maurice "Mo" Carter. After its inaugural event at GP3R, Supercar plans to add select events in 2013.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Dodge Corvette"?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Anyone going to be running a car in this event?
You have to hold a FIA/ASN National (Pro) license or an SCCA Pro license to run in this series (1 race makes a series?). I think Bondar is going to have a hard time getting a large number of racers prepping a car for this series when he only has one event for 2012 listed. What he is hoping for is that his rules are liberal enough to draw Grand Am, World Challenge and GT2 class cars and that running at GP3R makes it worth while. I'm not sure that this is a valid way to grow a series. I guess he is banking on a few Touring car teams entering an extra car in this class while they are there for the Touring car race.

I do find it interesting that no official announcement was made for this series on the CASC site or any event listed for Ontario. There are a boat load of ASN licensed drivers in Ontario. Perhaps the bad blood between some in the Ontario region and John Bondor is accurate? Recall his Touring car series started out here in Ontario as a Regional event before he took it Pro and got ASN Canada behind it. Looks as if he had to pay an appearance fee to JV to race - Jacques never races for free...
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM
supercardotca
4th Gear

Default Best laid plans ..

Originally Posted by pontifex4
"Dodge Corvette"?
After months of planning, all we could do is laugh at that mistake. But it was funny when the folks at Mulimatic pointed it out, we told them it was a special prototype that we could not really talk about. Mucho laughs all around!

John Bondar
President
Supercar.ca

Last edited by supercardotca; 02-26-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: add signature
Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 PM
supercardotca
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
You have to hold a FIA/ASN National (Pro) license or an SCCA Pro license to run in this series (1 race makes a series?). I think Bondar is going to have a hard time getting a large number of racers prepping a car for this series when he only has one event for 2012 listed. What he is hoping for is that his rules are liberal enough to draw Grand Am, World Challenge and GT2 class cars and that running at GP3R makes it worth while. I'm not sure that this is a valid way to grow a series. I guess he is banking on a few Touring car teams entering an extra car in this class while they are there for the Touring car race.

I do find it interesting that no official announcement was made for this series on the CASC site or any event listed for Ontario. There are a boat load of ASN licensed drivers in Ontario. Perhaps the bad blood between some in the Ontario region and John Bondor is accurate? Recall his Touring car series started out here in Ontario as a Regional event before he took it Pro and got ASN Canada behind it. Looks as if he had to pay an appearance fee to JV to race - Jacques never races for free...
Correct, a Pro Licence is required - easy to obtain if you have good credentials and it might open doors to other series for the competitors.

Supercar responds directly to a demand from both competitors and promoters that are looking to see higher performance cars compete in a professional environment. We are fortunate to be launching at one of the most prestigious events in North America in front of over 70k enthusiastic fans. What is also exciting is that the winner of this event will be presented with the "Mayor's Cup" which has a legacy of champions at GP3R.

The response to Supercar has been solid. Beginning back at PRI, competitors (that heard about Supercar through the motorsport grapevine) have committed to attending and so far there is over 25 participating. Down at Daytona, Ford Motorsport was asking about which cars they could send to run. At the CME, Multimatic asked about bringing the Aston Martin which would be amazing. As of today we will have competitors that drive the following; Ford Mustang, Ferrari Challenge, Porsche 996/997/GT3, Chevrolet Corvette, Dodge Viper and Aston Martin. Can't wait to see all of them on the track!

After the event, we will sit down with the competitors and plan for a full 2013 season.

Looks like CASC-OR has created a section to promote/talk about other series which is great because from my point of view we are complimentary organizations.

Not sure what the point of your JV comment is? Just happy that he tested with CTCC and says hello when he is at the track, nice guy actually.

Please feel free to email or call me anytime.

John Bondar
Supercar.ca
john at supercar dot ca

Last edited by supercardotca; 02-26-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling, again!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

John,

Looks like CASC-OR has created a section to promote/talk about other series which is great because from my point of view we are complimentary organizations.
And do you know why this new section was added John? Because I sent both a personal note the the CASC President about their 'attitude' as well as a public complaint to the webmaster (Andrew) concerning the deleting of your posts. It was after this action that they decided to create a non CASC section and they admit that their website monitoring polices are being reviewed...

Not sure what the point of your JV comment is? Just happy that he tested with CTCC and says hello when he is at the track, nice guy actually.
Not saying he isn't a nice guy. That has nothing to do with my comment. It has everything to do with how he views his 'worth' to the racing community. Nothing against your series and or if he races in your series. If he races great, PQ love him and he draws big within those borders.

Please feel free to email or call me anytime.
I'll say hello at Mosport at the first CTCC event if I get off the corner early enough.

I should say I was rather disappointed that CTMP (Mosport) isn't on your 2012 Supercar race event list.

Doug.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This new series (or single race at least for 2012) is welcome !

There are a lot of ASN Canada FIA licence drivers (who are actually amateurs) that do Club races (like PCA or Tremblant Classics) and that aren't ready to commit to the Pro required support (like IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge) but like to race as weekend warriors in their high performance GT cars. I am sure this new series will attract a lot of them including myself !

I am just not so sure yet about racing between to concrete walls...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
puma
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the in between wall usually makes less damage than hitting the grass at high speed and finishing up in the tires.

But it certainly is scary.

The atmosphere at the GP3R is certainly more fun than to race in the middle of nowhere with no spectators or activities around.

Anyone looking for a local place to put their stuff or need a local garage is welcome to my place for the GP3R

Quick Reply: Canadian Supercar Series