Notices

Recall Clearance Letter

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:07 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it's true. No additional charges for me on a 2003 Boxster with over 150K on the clock.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Sounds like Complaining to me
Actually, the only ones really complaining are the dealers and businesses.

They just don't want you to buy elsewhere where its cheaper. If they can't handle the heat (competition), maybe they should get out of the kitchen.

Honda Canada refused to provide a letter. My neighbour got his letter for free when he bought his Accord in MA.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a bit of a non sequitor, but has anyone tried to get a recall letter from BMW? Some people over on the BMW boards have stated it's a nightmare and very expensive b/c BMW doesn't want their US cars in Canada. Anyone know if this is true?
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
This is a bit of a non sequitor, but has anyone tried to get a recall letter from BMW? Some people over on the BMW boards have stated it's a nightmare and very expensive b/c BMW doesn't want their US cars in Canada. Anyone know if this is true?
This based on people that I know who brought various makes into Canada.

A while ago, RIV wanted a letter from the manufacturer (BMW NA, Porsche NA, etc). They seem to have eased off, maybe due to consumer complaints, and now will accept any official letter (dealer, etc) stating that all recalls have been performed.

Back in the early 2000s, a co-worker wanted to import a BMW 3 series wagon (before they were available in Canada). He said BMW was very accommodating. Maybe BMW changed their attitude since. In the end, he bought a new 330 Ci locally.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanx. I will need to import my Bimmer soon and was dreading it b/c of the rumours. Glad to hear it's not as bad as it used to be.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

From the RIV site...

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation

RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.

The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.

This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

3. Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) web site.

Some manufacturers post their recall information on their public web sites specific to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). This recall information will be accepted subject to verification by RIV.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Just my .02 worth. I was considering a M3 before I bought the 993. I looked at a LOT of M3's, most of which were in the US. After speaking to at least 2 people, ( perhaps more, it became a familiar refrain...), who had bought high end BMW's at great prices, and subsequently brought them into Canada, the problem wasn't getting the letter for the RIV, it was completing the DOT requirements for DRL's and 'visible' child restraint anchor points. These it seemed had to be done by a BMW dealer in order to be 'compliant'. As opposed to something like a Shelby GT 500 ( ask me how I know ), where it is simply a matter of changing a relay for $50.00 ( or free depending on your relationship with the dealer...), BMW charges upwards of min $500.00 for the DRL conversion. And I not sure how much carpet cutting was involved in 'exposing' the CRAP's.
Anyway I heard enough to decide if it was going to be an M3 it would be a Canadian version. The poor buggers trying to recover their initial investment plus the cost of importation and compliance were asking more than the 'local' sellers.
It all worked out in the end since I am super happy I went with the 993 instead. Stay with what you know is working for me!

Jim

Last edited by jakfrost; 07-31-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: crap...
Old 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the heads up Jim. The newer BMW's have DRL's that can be turned on via the OBC. I turned mine on when I moved here. The child restraint points are news to me though!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
its funny how people spend 50k plus on a Car and then cry about another $500...
It's not the $500. It's the principle.

To have the $50k most people have to be conscious of the first $500 and what the $500 represents.

Earning it yourself tends to change things.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

I used a warranty history report showing no outstanding recalls when i imported my GT3.

It was FREE from the dealer that did my PPI.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

this thread sounds like

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
It's not the $500. It's the principle.

To have the $50k most people have to be conscious of the first $500 and what the $500 represents.

Earning it yourself tends to change things.
What? You mean you don't just say: "Daddy, can I have another $500.....pleeeeeeeeease?"
Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by AllanJ
What? You mean you don't just say: "Daddy, can I have another $500.....pleeeeeeeeease?"
No I ask mom.

Dad has been gone awhile now but what he and my mom taught me about $$$ lives on.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
No I ask mom.

Dad has been gone awhile now but what he and my mom taught me about $$$ lives on.
I had the same advice from my dad.

Here's to parents who teach proper values instead of handing out blank cheques.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Why not, politicians ask for more taxes from you and me....and then they pi$$ it away.

Quick Reply: Recall Clearance Letter