Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
wow that's a good deal....

Mine is set up now. Man, I could have used the extra $300 to help pay for the $500 concrete bill....

Sigh.....

Pete bring in your reciept to Costco and get them to do a price adjustment.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:10 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Pete bring in your reciept to Costco and get them to do a price adjustment.

Hi Speed,

You think that will work? I got the lift in May.....

I will give them a call.....

P
Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Speed,

You think that will work? I got the lift in May.....

I will give them a call.....

P
Don't call...just go in. It's worth the try. They really take care of you at Costco.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
A heads up in case anyone is about to get one...

$300 off at Costco between September 5th and 18th.

$1699.99 includes shipping and handling.
Is there a trick to getting the discount price to show up Alex? Tried everything except the 'pay now' button but the price stays the same, $1,949.99 + 253.49 tax.

Jim
Old 09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim:

The discount has disappeared. It was on there this afternoon. They have a coupon book out at the moment so it might be in there for you to redeem.

Strange. Keep checking.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by jakfrost
Is there a trick to getting the discount price to show up Alex? Tried everything except the 'pay now' button but the price stays the same, $1,949.99 + 253.49 tax.

Jim
Jim, if that is the case, they've just lost a sale.

I'll drop by Costco before the 18th, which was the deadline for the sale.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree...but first I have to resolve the windshield issue, man that is becoming a nightmare. Drove home last night after the local Thursday night Dairy Queen classic car meet and since it was cooling off nicely at 8:00pm I put the windows up...YIKES! I hadn't heard the sound quite so clearly since I picked up the car last Friday night, ( plus I was away 4 days...).

The car is un-driveable with the windows up in its current state. The noise is amazing, like a million hard backed bugs hitting the windshield at a steady rate. Spoke to the dealer earlier and he said it should 'get better' with time...??

I tried his recommendation, Crown aerosol under the seal at the corners...no change whatsoever. He never heard of the 'rope'.

I'm not sure any of the 'spray/rope' combination fixes are anything more than a bandage solution. They work for awhile it seems, for some people.

The proper 'fix' is a proper installation, in my books. They certainly don't come off the showroom floor like that, and the dealer should be able to replicate the original installation I would think.

Guess the car will have to go back...not sure how that is going to work out.

Jim
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakfrost
Guess the car will have to go back...not sure how that is going to work out.

Jim
Jim, you have far better nerves than I do. I don't think I could sleep well knowing my car is going into a shop...any shop.

I e-mailed Costco Customer Service last night asking what had happened to the $300 discount on their web site. We'll see what their response is. If they claim it is was a mistake, I could always push it, not that I'd lose any sleep over it. I had already decided on the Hemi Roadrunner scissors lift that I've seen in action at a nearby owner, but the price of the MaxJax had me seriously thinking.

In both cases, an extra $500 would be spent on pouring concrete and steel plates for the MaxJax installation; I wouldn't be getting under the MaxJax using their supplied anchors and bolts, no matter how good my concrete floor is.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:47 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

I'm leaning back to the scissor lift again. I think that the extra width required to install the Maxjax would drive my wife bonkers. I like working on the car, but it's sits for extended periods if I can't get to it. Leaving the scissor in-situ is much easier (to me) than bolting and unbolting the Maxjax.

@Alex - who carries the Hemi Roadrunner? I'm still looking at the Bendpak but it's $2,030 before delivery.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Stig
I'm leaning back to the scissor lift again. I think that the extra width required to install the Maxjax would drive my wife bonkers. I like working on the car, but it's sits for extended periods if I can't get to it. Leaving the scissor in-situ is much easier (to me) than bolting and unbolting the Maxjax.
OK here is a tip from firesm (Steve).

You leave the unit mounted closest to the wall permanently installed and just remove the unit that is closest to the center of the garage to free up the area.

If I was going with the MaxJax, I would be mounting the unit closest to the wall within a foot of it so as to move the whole lift as close as possible to the wall.

A downside is always having the possibility of running your door into that "post"; I was going to place a foam barrier around it when not in use.

@Alex - who carries the Hemi Roadrunner? I'm still looking at the Bendpak but it's $2,030 before delivery.
Its available from the Lift Superstore in Oakville.

I had a good look at my friend's unit. The welds are as good as can be..very nice. According to an e-mail received from the Lift Superstore, the frame is made in China, the hydraulics are out of the US or Canada and the pump motor is a Baldor. It carries a two-year warranty.

In either case, I have concrete work to do.

With the scissor lift, I intend on pouring an 8 inch-plus reinforced slab sunken by 5 inches into my garage floor so that it sits flush.

With the MaxJax, I would also pour a reinforced slab with additional steel plates with anchors and threaded rods welded to them that would be set into the concrete...I wasn't thrilled with the idea or unscrewing and screwing bolts into concrete anchors repeatedly.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:02 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Jim:

The discount has disappeared. It was on there this afternoon.

Strange. Keep checking.
Don't bother checking; in fact, don't bother doing business with Costco.

I just got off the phone with Costco Customer Service and they first said there never was a price change made on their web site. Then they said the $300 discount was a mistake. It would have been worth printing out that page when it was on sale.

Thats fine and so typical of Canadian business which is why I do so little of it up here. Eff them!!! My money is going elsewhere.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I thought the offer was really really too good to be true.

The new price I heard is $1949, which is still better than what I paid back in May ($1999).

- misprint is fine. I wouldn't bother loosing sleep over it. but then,.... I usually give back the wrong change at the cash register. return lost wallets etc.

re: semi-permenantly installing it.

My posts have been up for about 4 weeks now. My garage is 22' deep, so I put the posts towards the front of the garage, I just don't pull in as far for normal parking and can open my Boxster door fine. Should be interesting with the Jetta.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

- misprint is fine. I wouldn't bother loosing sleep over it.
Hardly a misprint. They had the discount listed along with the time period it was valid for. It was a bait tactic!

All they had to do was honour the sale price and at that they wouldn't even take a loss. Bad for business...their business.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for an alternative but....

I was looking for an alternative and found this.... can you say pricy! it is similar to the screw type scissor jacks found in the trunk of most cars.

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TCWGxpmPYug

I would consider it if not for the price and I'd still have to lay on my back to work on the car. I really like the fact that it can be fold and stowed easily.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:43 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Interesting find Mark but a ridiculous price. But easy stowage is a nice feature. I can get a mid-rise scissor from Bendpak for the same price.

You can achieve the same with 2 lifting bars, 2 floor jacks and 4 jack stands. I've seen a few 928 guys run them.

Maybe if it was under $1,000, it would be worth a look.

Quick Reply: screw the scissor lift.....