Notices

screw the scissor lift.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Default screw the scissor lift.....

Nabbed this from Costco.ca this morning.....

$1999.99

Best price I've seen for quite a while.... includes delivery, Great return policy. I just need to determine the depth of my cement floor, or I'll be renting a concrete saw and pouring a couple piers....

I am joining the lift crowd....

Of course, now that the lift is on it's way.... probably won't have any major repairs in the near future - not a bad thing I suppose.

Peter
01 Boxster S
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Naw you'll find all kinds of reasons why the car has to be up in the air such as cleaning the wheels or under the sills.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

I assume it is not certified which insurance will have problem with if something happens. looks good otherwise. when I clicked on the link it says it is out of stock.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" I just need to determine the depth of my cement floor,"

You can also mount plates on the bottom that are wider than orig.
Spread the weight...if you choose.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:29 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Hi Benny,

The weight's not a problem. The car is on smaller contact patches than the base of this lift normally.

It's tension strength that is the biggest concern, as 2 posts are cantilevered, thus wanting to pull inwards.

At Turbodan.

I don't think maxjax is an ALI endorsed product., neither are the jackstands, or ramps I use.....

There's no more 'add to cart' button on that page anymore.... My order's been received, and 'sent to fulfilment', takes 2-3 weeks for delivery apparently.
I wondered if it was soon to be rotated out of stock for costco.... I had been watching the prices pretty close. Was reading that the US costco's didn't have them on the website anymore. I figured Costco has a great return policy, that if for some reason it doesn't work out.... no loss $$.

I just routed coaxial through the wall in the basement to the garage for TV out there for anticipation of more time spent in the garage.

P
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

P,

Great price and great product. You will have hours of fun. Please update us on the installation process when you take delivery. Especially testing and prepping the garage floor.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

I am sure that it will work out great for you it looks like a great lift. I would like one like that which is certified since I have young kids which will be near the garage.
I also am wondering if your cement floor is not thick enough if you can just pour some tubes of concrete in the proper spots or if you need a whole floor. I am in the same boat as I have a 50 year old garage and can see some cracks.
congrats on the purchase.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 AM
petee_c
Drifting

turbodan,

you won't need to pour the whole floor... I've been told that you can cut out and reinforce a section for each post. 3x3' x12" deep should do... tie in with some rebar.

P
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am contemplating getting the MaxJax along with the Porsche buy in the US for $1800, shipped to a depot in Buffalo. I would have to pick it up. Anybody know what the duties would be crossing the border? Is it GST only, or HST?

Does $200 Cdn more in Canada (taking into account exchange, fees etc.) + HST delivered to my door = Buying in $US, Driving to Buffalo to pick up with my truck + Duties? If so, it would be easier just to order from Costco.

Thoughts?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For the small price difference, the aggro and price of gas, you're better off buying it from Costco. No hassle returns etc, etc. You can't go wrong.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
turbodan,

you won't need to pour the whole floor... I've been told that you can cut out and reinforce a section for each post. 3x3' x12" deep should do... tie in with some rebar.

P
That sounds pretty generous to me -- I would consult someone who works with concrete about the depth.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:35 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was reading that the US costco's didn't have them on the website anymore.
Damn it, I waited a week or two too long.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 PM
petee_c
Drifting

the lift was back in stock earlier today.......
Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by pontifex4
That sounds pretty generous to me -- I would consult someone who works with concrete about the depth.
My understanding is that you need the floor to be strong, because it acts as a beam to prevent the 2 posts from cantilevering in when the weight of the car is on the lift....

I believe this applies to 99% of all 2 post above ground lifts. The cross members you see aren't structural, they hold the cable either in the air, or protect ones laying on the ground.

... but I don't work with concrete much...

P
Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... but I don't work with concrete much...

P
Me, neither, and I had assumed that the lifts with that cross piece above were stronger because it was structural, but now that you mention it, it does look pretty thin.

That said, the design of the pads seems as though it should be important to me, and I wonder if opting for a higher PSI mix and more reinforcement might be a better use of the money than just digging deep and pouring a lot of it.

Again, I don't know, so this is purely rhetorical. For the pour I did on my new slab (soon to be a garage) I excavated the base gravel in a couple of 3x3' sections under the anticipated feet of the lift an extra three inches (taking them to ~7" from 4", accounting for slump). I wanted to put rebar around them, but couldn't be absolutely sure where I would need to drill, so I stuck with the mesh that is also in the rest of the slab. I'm hopeful that this will be enough for a full-height two post.

Quick Reply: screw the scissor lift.....