Porsche Set to Build Cajun Crossover - Article

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:26 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Porsche Set to Build Cajun Crossover - Article

http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...ver/index.html

I am not happy about this at all. Anybody else dissapointed in the direction new CEO Mr. Muller is taking the company? How is this happening? They're depleting the brand!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:57 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, one would argue the cayenne and panamara already diluted the brand. that ship sailed long ago.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Well, with regards to the Panamera, it offers the performance and exclusivity that Porsche is known for, so I would argue that it is worthy of the Porsche badge.

As for the cayenne and cajun though, VW group already sells the Audi Q5/Q7 and VW Toureg/Tiguan... so I would argue that the Cajun is a continuation of the "brand dilution" that began with the Cayenne. My question to Porsche is, why can't we leave the SUV's to VW/Audi and let Porsche continue to be known for what it does best: producing the best sportscar in the world?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

i think its great!!!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:02 PM
DHC6
Racer

So what's this a freekin Tiguan with a Porsche badge??? At least the Cayenne was designed by Porsche...
Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Granger968
Pro

I like the Cayman, the Cayenne, and the Panamera. Im OK with this one too, as long as they keep the prices up to keep some exclusivity.

I still think the "true" Porsche is the 911, but I am have no problem with the expansion of the product line.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:16 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

I love the fact that there are so many Porsches one family can own. My dream Porsche garage would be a Panamera Turbo Convertable (my dd), GT3 RS (track toy), Cayenne Turbo S (wife's dd), Cajun S (to be shared by the kids) and the 918 Spyder.
Of course Porsches new bussiness structure hurts resale values. But Jonathan, c'mon, you are telling me that you are not happy that used Porsches are way more affordable now? You can now buy a 5 year old mid-engined Porsche coupe (aka Cayman) for like $25K. 5 years ago for that kinda money you could maybe find a 25 year old car.

I dunno, I am ok with all this.

Stan
Old 10-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Panamera Turbo Convertable (my dd)
Really? id like a 7 Seater Panamera Quad-Turbo Targa GTGTGTGT 33.7
Old 10-31-2010, 06:25 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

With each new model announcement my car looks more and more like a "real Porsche".
Old 10-31-2010, 09:11 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
I love the fact that there are so many Porsches one family can own. My dream Porsche garage would be a Panamera Turbo Convertable (my dd), GT3 RS (track toy), Cayenne Turbo S (wife's dd), Cajun S (to be shared by the kids) and the 918 Spyder.
Of course Porsches new bussiness structure hurts resale values. But Jonathan, c'mon, you are telling me that you are not happy that used Porsches are way more affordable now? You can now buy a 5 year old mid-engined Porsche coupe (aka Cayman) for like $25K. 5 years ago for that kinda money you could maybe find a 25 year old car.

I dunno, I am ok with all this.

Stan
You make a good point Stan, and I too, love the fact that there is some selection to owning a Porsche and not just "what colour 911 do you want?". I also am happy that used Porsche's have become more affordable (it will see me in one sooner!), however the part that I am unhappy with is that I don't want to see Porschce become another "everyday brand" if that makes sense? In my opinion, the Cajun already exists in the form of the Tiguan and Q5, and having a Porsche version of the vehicle doesn't really make sense to me. It makes other Porsche's seem less "special"? I guess the best way for me to describe it is, when I see a Porsche driving down the street, (whether it be a 911 a Boxster or a Panamera etc..) my spine tingles and I can't help but to smile... I don't want that to ever go away.

JP, I too love the Cayman and Cayenne, which were like you said built by Porsche, and are indistinguishably "Porsche" vehicles. I feel the Cajun isn't truly Porsche, being built on an Audi platform and aimed towards the small sub/crossover market. But perhaps I'm being close-minded and that's the direction the company needs to take in order to keep bringing us the cars we love. I guess time will tell!

My dream garage (for fun): 3.2 Carrera (project/weekend car), GT3RS (track toy), Cayenne S (towing/dd), Panamera Turbo (dd), Carrera GT (b/c everybody's dream garage needs a supercar)
Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zookie
Really? id like a 7 Seater Panamera Quad-Turbo Targa GTGTGTGT 33.7
I am sure Pfaff will take your deposit now.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

It would be a great winter beater.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

anything to continue sales increases and revenue that can be funneled into an F1 team!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I totally get what you are saying. I remember as a kid seeing a Porsche ever so rarely. I was living in Ottawa and visited Toronto with a buddy of mine. We were downtown and there parked on the road was a white 930. It was so exciting that we took pictures of each other kissing the whale tail. Now I kind of laugh at Zookie's "spotted" thread (no offense Zook). I live in Richmond Hill and go downtown every once in a while. If I reported the number of Porsche's I saw on Zookie's thread, you would all fall asleep. Literally, I counted 42 going downtown alone. On the 404 between the 401 and Eglinton, there were 4 late model 911 turbo's alone.

Even Ferrari and Lamborghini are starting to become more common. Between the ages of 13 and 17, I may have see 2 Lamborghini Countach's (and one was the Alpine display car). Now you see them monthly and in some areas weekly and even daily.

All of the Porsche's are fantastic cars and I don't think anyone disputes that. It's just that they have lost that "Holy S#!T, check out that Porsche!" excitement (except for maybe a Carrera GT).
Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why god created... CUSTOMIZING

Lets face it the more expensive rides are out there the better the economy, not something anyone is going to be complaining about now a days.
When it comes to "too much of a good thing" (too many P's out there) well that allows the guys who spend too much $ in customizing a justification (finally)

As to the Cajun, I really like the look (much better than that girlie looking new Cayenne), perfect platform to mod the hell out off!!!!
Now if they could only change the names they give these cars, honestly enough with the "spices" already!

BTW it looks like the VW take over of Porsche is not going through... http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/in...part/19696437/

Hope they'll still take the Cajun to production, cause I'd really buy one (I know there's no accounting for taste )

Quick Reply: Porsche Set to Build Cajun Crossover - Article