Notices

and you thought IMS was scary

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default and you thought IMS was scary

I wonder if these are also glued into the new DFI engines block as well.

Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...t-mosport.html
Old 01-24-2011, 03:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by himself
Just to keep the information flowing, I had a coolant line blow. It was actually the press fit coupler at the water pump [well, I think it's the water pump]. All of the coolant dumps in about 5 seconds! lol. Lucky I was near home when it happened. It's going into the dealer for repairs today. Pics below.

-td

Bullet proof GT1 based engine.

Wonder if the new DFI engines have the same glued in coolant couplings?

Puts me off wanting any GT3 or GT1 based engine unless the problem is fixed.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The foolproof solution is.....to buy an air cooled car, then you only have to worry about dumping oil all over the place! LOL
Old 01-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

This looks like something that would happen to me... And it would probably happen in Mosport... and it would probably happen in 2009 at a Rennlist track day...

Just speculating of course...
Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Granger968
This looks like something that would happen to me... And it would probably happen in Mosport... and it would probably happen in 2009 at a Rennlist track day...

Remind me to be on the other half of the circuit when you do this... Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Well known problem afflicting GT series cars.

It's why I run water and Water Wetter in my car.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
cjn928
Instructor

I thought it was the condensation of the A/C
Hey, you never know with those rear engine 911's
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This happened in front of me coming into namrow this year.
Very scary when you are following someone as well. Luckily I gave him the pass on the back stretch(after 9)
He was running the silicone based coolant.(very slippery)
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

last months panorama magazine discusses this in detail and has a few possible fixes that they recommend.
suggestion: new run groups air cooled and water
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's it. As a preventative measure, I'm going to drain all the coolant out of my car and make it air cooled. In fact, by the look of my garage floor under the car, it's already started.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Remind me to be on the other half of the circuit when you do this... Thanks in advance!
lol yea and not 2 cars behind, like that day... man that was scaryy
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

Oh come on guys, you all enjoyed the excitement... You've been talking about it for 2 yrs actually, with Iceman right at the top of that list
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Granger968

Don't even GO there.... I cleaned up enough oil last year... there is no amount of bleach that works that gets out the oil stains and cement powder.

One guy had oil and coolant blowing out the bottom of his 996 on the up hill into cor 5 last year. 1/2 hour down time. Asked me if I thought his engine had a minor issue. No urge to give the guy that negative response - let his indy do that. Told him it might be an RMS.... (He seemed to be so unware of our cars issues) At least he had hope on the flat bed ride in.

One other issue: When a worker is holding up a firebottle at the wall or rail to you and points at you - this means what?

A/ I should look down to see if I have a bottle in my car and it's mounted correctly?
B/ We are bored and are trying to stay in shape lifting 10lbs over our heads?
C/ I should pull over to the side of the track where the worker ISN'T and proceed to get under the car to inspect the underside of it with legs stuck out into traffic?
D/ Keep driving as we tend to over react.
E/ Perhaps you should pull over and stop right in front of the worker who will kindly put out that underhood BBQ you've got going on there...

I had two people who could not figure any of this out and caused themselves so much more money by waiting until they felt the heat or saw the flames in the mirrors...
Old 01-25-2011, 10:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Issue gathering steam ?

I saw the posts but couldn't respond .. everyone has their legacy and of course JPs is the great Mosport incident of 09 ...
But on a more serious note i don't think this problem can really be understated and is a real danger.

Although the IMS has been well documented as being fatal to the engine if it lets go. This problem could prove fatal to the entire car if it happens in the wrong time or place .....

If it were my car I think i would seriously consider dropping the engine and fixing this post haste.

FYI this is in no way a new problem ... my 87 S had a similar issue .. I was driving down a country road at night and all of a sudden there was a mass of steam and coolant on the windshield and i couldn't see a thing.

Got it pulled over and towed. When I got it home and examined it there was an alluminum boss bolted to the engine with 2 bolts .. glued into this boss was a pipe that went to the heat exchanger .. the glue had given way and the pipe came out of the boss spewing coolant everywhere. had it aluminum welded and never had the issue again.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-25-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by theiceman
Issue gathering steam ?

This problem could prove fatal to the entire car if it happens in the wrong time or place .....

Yup, though if it let go on the street and following the speed limit, you'll probably not have an issue unless you taking a on ramp and highway speeds.

Coolant hitting a rear tire and it's all over. Coolant is like hitting black ice and even with TCS PSM and everything can't help.

Running water wetter is an option though you may be doing more damage to the engine then you think. It doesn't cool the engine as well and you'll be running the engine at higher temperatures which will decrease engine life.
That may be fine for those that don't keep cars but the next guy will pay for it.

Does any one know if they are gluing in the fittings on the 2009+ 9A1 engine based models?

I'm thinking the most reliable Porsche engine, may be the non DFI 9A1 engine out of the 2009 Cayman (non S).

Quick Reply: and you thought IMS was scary