and you thought IMS was scary

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:20 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
Greg,

The car cited in the 1st post was a 996TT and Farzaan's GT3 has a significant amount of tracktime on it (far more than average). Eventually something will let go on a tracked car, it's just a matter of when. I don't think that's enough to say that any one series of engines are unreliable.

As these cars get older and more and more high stress life is applied to them, we will uncover more and more issues that need remedying, this press fitting for instance. Your C4S has seen a metric f**kton of track days as well and while i'm sure you're spot on with your maintenance schedules, a worn plastic line bracket could finally let go, a hose tear, an ______ happen, etc....

What's the solution proposed to the fitting problem? Just put a saftey loop on it?
996t has a gt1 based engine similar to the 997 gt3. Farzans GT3 has less track hours on it then my C4S, it's practically brand new.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
yes and they rebuild their engines after so many race hours and it's mandated that they run water for safety not because it runs cooler, which i don't buy into "cooler" at all.
+1 In fact Cup engines are rated for 20-25 hours before rebuilds.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Omar this seams to bea real problem as Greg points out .. Even exellence had an article on it showing all the failure points and remedied fixes .. sure you will get more wear and tear at a track .. all the more reason to address the known weak areas of the car .. these are actually robust cars with robust engines . i just don't know how robsust they will be if they are running at a track or on the highway and dump coolant .. even a " minor" leak . will casue coolant to pour out and the engine to over heat . overheating an aluminum engine could be bad news even if you do it once. Certainly worth checking the areas Greg points out for leaks..
I think we're saying the same things in different words (infact i'm almost certain I didn't express my point properly in my first post due to general exhaustion).

Was there any sign of these lines leaking before they simply let go?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
My car actually runs COOLER with water.

I run what Cup Cars and what every other race car runs ... water.
You are correct. Water has the most cooling properties (forgot the technical term for it) compared to Alcohol or Methanol, as I recall from reading up about auxiliary injection. the same heat transfer principle applies in the case of the cooling system.

As for the reasons its actually run in racing...well, thats for spillage saftey. If we didn't live in a country where it becomes -30, running distilled water w/ water wetter in the systems would be a no brainer. safer on the track, slightly better cooling and compatible with all series's/lapping day organizations.

Btw, any decision on that 1:18th scale 787 B we were talking about?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Oh yeah "exciting" isn't the word I would use: "terrifying" fits better.
Of course I was on the receiving end once again in September behind...you guessed it, a 996 GT3!
...on the last run of the weekend, after debating whether to go out or go home early, as I recall. Glad you ended up in the pit entrance, and not somewhere else!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
...on the last run of the weekend, after debating whether to go out or go home early, as I recall. Glad you ended up in the pit entrance, and not somewhere else!
Yeah, me too! Don't want to ever end up pointing at the pit entrance slight askew at speed again! You got to see and hear first hand my reaction after pulling in!

Ah, good times...not!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
You are correct. Water has the most cooling properties (forgot the technical term for it) compared to Alcohol or Methanol, as I recall from reading up about auxiliary injection. the same heat transfer principle applies in the case of the cooling system.

As for the reasons its actually run in racing...well, thats for spillage saftey. If we didn't live in a country where it becomes -30, running distilled water w/ water wetter in the systems would be a no brainer. safer on the track, slightly better cooling and compatible with all series's/lapping day organizations.

Btw, any decision on that 1:18th scale 787 B we were talking about?
The additives extend the boiling and freezing temperature of water plus they contain anti corrosion chemicals.
I am no expert and I could be wrong but does water wetter provide the same thing that our long life coolant does.

Anyways for a daily driver in Canada it seems a bit much to change coolant every season.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

Unique agent for cooling systems that doubles the wetting ability of water
Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
May allow more spark advance for increase power and efficiency
Use one bottle for most passenger cars and light trucks, treats 3 to 5 gallons or 13.2 to 15.9 liters. Vehicles with larger cooling systems should use two bottles. Small cooling systems should use 1oz (3 to 4 capfuls) per quart
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOLTM and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Satisfies ASTM D2570 and ASTM D1384 corrosion tests for glycol-based antifreezes

Reduces or eliminates bubbles or vapor barrier that form on hot metal surfaces to reduce coolant temperatures by up to 20°
Superior heat transfer properties compared to glycol-based antifreeze
Compatible with new or used antifreeze (including DEX-COOL and long-life versions) to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems
Improves heat transfer and reduces cylinder head temperature
Designed for use with all modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze cooling systems
Cleans and lubricates water pump seals
Reduces cavitation and complexes with hard water to reduce scaling
Does not lower cooling system below the thermostatically-controlled temperature

Many guys run GT3 Cup engines for 100 hrs. before a rebuild. See Cup Car forum for details. The RSR however requires more frequent rebuilds. A Rennsport member from Quebec City has one.

I have found my car runs 10-20 degrees cooler than before based upon the gauge on the dash.

GT3 engines are extremely similar to those in the Cup version.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know Motorcycles are usually forbidden to use coolant on the track.

Water Wetter is the key for bikes.

Anyone ever use "Water Wetter" in car?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Anyone ever use "Water Wetter" in car?
I did most of last season. See above.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Running water wetter still doesn't fix the problem though. For a car out of warranty, loss of the track day cost, tow truck and then the mechanic bill. Is not something I would like to happen to me.

Also water wetter is still slippery as is even just water, though it evaporates and is much easier to clean up.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Running water wetter still doesn't fix the problem though. For a car out of warranty, loss of the track day cost, tow truck and then the mechanic bill. Is not something I would like to happen to me.

Also water wetter is still slippery as is even just water, though it evaporates and is much easier to clean up.
No it doesn't fix the problem. I know that. If/when it happens to my car it will result in the loss of at least 1 track day. Odds are though instead of the potential to drive over my own dropped coolant, spin and hit something I will just lose that track day and suffer the indignity of having my car towed to the paddock where it can be loaded on the trailer.

Water and water wetter is much less slippery than the silicone based coolant modern Porsches use.

I too wish Porsche would fix this problem that afflicts some Turbos, GT2s and GT3s. Just reapplying the bonding agent and hoping it doesn't happen again does not adequately address the problem nor does it inspire much confidence.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

I just looked and couldn't find the article I thought I read in panorama on this with 5 choices to fix this. has anybody else read this article? and was it in panorama?
the problem is the result of adding water to an engine not designed for water (gt1)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

I think it was excellence Danny

Really good article.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

It was Excellence.

Quick Reply: and you thought IMS was scary