Notices

Penalty for radar detector use

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Penalty for radar detector use

So whats the worst they can do to you if you had a detector in your car/ got caught using it? Obviously, using the new steath technology such as the Beltronics STI driver helps, but a cop could still pull you over and question if you are using one--and initiate a search of the car if he suspects usage.
Thus, I would like to weigh the risks of being caught with one, in comparission to the massive fines, impoundment etc that could come with a speeding ticket these days--should you choose to speed.
Not to say that I would ever buy a radar detector or go over the speed limit, mind you. Just curious, thats all!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I heard a story the other day: the guy said he had a stealth one installed, buried deep in the car, and carried a cheap-o $10 one in the glovebox, or console or something. He said when he'd get pulled over he'd cough it up, they'd destroy it at the roadside, and that'd be it, maybe a ticket. Much better than having your car torn apart.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

with radar if you are speeding you are still subject to the massive fines etc associated with speeding and can add charges for possession of device that detects police transmissions.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 PM
DrXenon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Ontario, do you get a ticket that your insurance company hears about?

The strategy I heard was to wear a jacket with an inside pocket while you're driving. If you get pulled over, you put the detector in your pocket and deny everything. The officer can search your car, but he can't search your person without your consent over a HTA matter.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM
fdss
Advanced

$140 fine, minor offence as far as demerit points goes. Insurance company will definitely know about it come renewal.

Do you really want to **** off the police and have them rip your car apart on the spot looking for it?
Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I got caught with one around 11 years ago.
The unit was taken away, I got a ticket for around $165 with no points.
I tried fighting it (X-Copper) and lost.
The only good thing that came out of it was my insurance co. never found out so my rates never went up.
One other thing. The unit that was confiscated was a Bel undetectable unit.

Last edited by Brian 162; 04-22-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I tried fighting it (POINTS) and lost.
The only good thing that came out of it was my insurance co. never found out so my rates never went up.
Brian--did they detect it using their detector-detectors (say that 5 times fast!) or did they just suspect it?
From what I understand, the new technology is absolutley undetectable.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:00 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fastboy
From what I understand, the new technology is absolutley undetectable.
ah,...... no
Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

From my understanding of the the technology, is that it doesn't put out any RF emissions above what could be detected above background noise of standard RF devices - radios, cell phones, ipods, iPhones..... Similiar to the technique used by the Romulans to interphase cloak their Warbirds in ST:TNG.

In order to penetrate the cloak, LEO's must introduce a variance in the phase shift with their deflector array - however neither Ford nor GM have been able to produce the required energy to introduce the phase shift with power from an internal combustion engine, without catastrophic detonation in the cylinders
Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrXenon
The strategy I heard was to wear a jacket with an inside pocket while you're driving. If you get pulled over, you put the detector in your pocket and deny everything. The officer can search your car, but he can't search your person without your consent over a HTA matter.
No suspicion there on a summer day in southern Ontario - 95 degrees with 80 % humidity.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
GasPasser
Track Day

Originally Posted by Brian 162
I tried fighting it (POINTS) and lost.
IIRC the Beltronics STI came out in 2005-2006. I'm not sure if it's a typo (11 years vs 1 year) on your part but there definitely weren't any undetectable radar-detectors to Spectre pre-2000.
Anyhow, chalk one up to the lucky law enforcement officer that day but they still have to drive their crappy cars and you still get to drive a P-car.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

A few years ago I was doing 120 on country road with an 80 limit. Radar went off, I slamed on the brakes and a second later a cop passed me in the opposite direction. Another second later his lights were on, he turned around, caught up to me and pulled me over. The first thing he said was "Give it to me". I was like "What do you mean?" To which he replied: "I can call for back up and we will take your car appart right here on the side of the road; or you can just give me the radar and be happy I do not know how fast you were going."
From my experience, it was better getting a small fine no points, than a speeding ticket for 40 over.
Now I just turn it off the moment it goes off. But I am sure I will have it taken away sooner or later again.
Ideally, its best not to exceed the speed limit by more than 10-15. But if you are like me, and have a Chronic Heavy Foot Syndrome, a radar will save you some money. I still suggest not getting one, as it will only make your "symptoms" worse.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

from what I understand turning it off does not prevent it from emitting detectable signal.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:06 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BGregovski
ah,...... no
Originally Posted by 1990964C4
A few years ago I was doing 120 on country road with an 80 limit. Radar went off, I slamed on the brakes and a second later a cop passed me in the opposite direction.
I have a friend who's been driving with the Bel STi since about 2004 - 2005 (within 6 months of it's introduction), averaging between 20,000-30,000km/yr with the STi (on) in the vehicle (both car and motorcycle) ... probably passed 100's of cops.... no one had a clue.

Most of the mileage was done in SW Ontario on provincial roads, but in the summers he goes up to the cottage in Muskoka, and has been on the 401-407-400-11 route many times....

Just another data point.

P
Old 04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

i think i'm gonna go with Brad on this one..

Quick Reply: Penalty for radar detector use