Notices

Ringmasters: 15 fastest Nürburgring lappers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

I'll take another stab.... I'd say my old karting aquaintance Paul Tracy in Horst Kroll Can Am car, he is crazy enough to do it.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only other car that I can think of that was very fast in the corners would have been a 935. But, I would have thought that there were many faster Cam Am cars. Especially a 917-30.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

I'm convinced, it has to be Paul Tracy no doubt about it, his philosophy when he raced karts was to make every corner a straight line so he must have been on the gas through turn 2. Crazy SOB.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 01-12-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Oh so close Mark...
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Oh so close Mark...
Well you stumped me... the only other young driver that I know of driving a car with 530HP is All unser jr. driving Carl Haas's Can Am Car.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 01-12-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Al Jr. in the GR3 Frissbee - 1:10.399 202.369 km/h Pole time, Sept 12, 1982

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-09-12-015.jpg

Crazy qualifing lap where he went flat through corner 1 and didn't lift until braking point at corner 3. Cor 2 to Cor 3 - 4.9 seconds! I was at the top of 2 for this lap and I really thought his brakes had failed or throttle stuck wide open. He kept coming and coming and I'm waiting for the nose to dive under braking or a downshift and he just looked like some bobsled from hell as he headed down the hill under full power. Crazy. Recall the walls we discussed above that caused the death of Manfred - well they were there all right - waiting.

Massive tunnels under what used to be a Lola T-333 F 5000 car created 3X the downforce over what the early 90's CART cars could create.

Al Jr. had won the SCCA Super Vee series the year before and 'Didn't know any better' as his Dad said after this weekend. Sad to see what has become of this driver today in his personal life.

Gales Racing sold this car to Billes (Canadian Tire) in Barrie who ran Jacque (the uncle) and after they were done with it I think Horst Kroll bought it. Not sure if this is the same chassis in the Canadian Hall of Racing as I don't have chassis numbers - but if it isn't it's the back up car. Tracy *might* have won in it as well - not sure. That was the race Tracy ran over hsi team owners nose, (Horst) in coner nine - what a hoot that was.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Al Jr. in the GR3 Frissbee - 1:10.399 202.369 km/h Pole time, Sept 12, 1982

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-09-12-015.jpg

Crazy qualifing lap where he went flat through corner 1 and didn't lift until braking point at corner 3. Cor 2 to Cor 3 - 4.9 seconds! I was at the top of 2 for this lap and I really thought his brakes had failed or throttle stuck wide open. He kept coming and coming and I'm waiting for the nose to dive under braking or a downshift and he just looked like some bobsled from hell as he headed down the hill under full power. Crazy. Recall the walls we discussed above that caused the death of Manfred - well they were there all right - waiting.

Massive tunnels under what used to be a Lola T-333 F 5000 car created 3X the downforce over what the early 90's CART cars could create.

Al Jr. had won the SCCA Super Vee series the year before and 'Didn't know any better' as his Dad said after this weekend. Sad to see what has become of this driver today in his personal life.

Gales Racing sold this car to Billes (Canadian Tire) in Barrie who ran Jacque (the uncle) and after they were done with it I think Horst Kroll bought it. Not sure if this is the same chassis in the Canadian Hall of Racing as I don't have chassis numbers - but if it isn't it's the back up car. Tracy *might* have won in it as well - not sure. That was the race Tracy ran over hsi team owners nose, (Horst) in coner nine - what a hoot that was.
That's the year I fiished school.... you've been marshalling corner 2 since that time. I was at corner 5 the day little Al won that race... sadly the TV coverage back in the day wasn't as good as it is today.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

"you've been marshalling corner 2 since that time"

We allowed to begin marshaling back then when we were age 10.

Quick Reply: Ringmasters: 15 fastest Nürburgring lappers