Notices

Radar detectors in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperzz
so this guy "sonny" went that far in the legal system then bailed because of the principal of the matter and the off chance that he was going to open a revenue stream for the manufacturers??? i call bullst!!
Well I don't doubt that he did go as far as he said because it is too easy to check the public record on this. As for his claims concerning the detector industry - I guess we are only hearing his side. Maybe there is more to the 'why' they wouldn't support him? Any person living in Ontario and driving here could have told this guy he was barking mad if he thought he could kill this law. Perhaps these companies were of the same mind?

I'm of the mind that says if I can afford the detector - then I can afford the fine and the loss of it - or slow down. Spending thousands of dollars instead of paying the fine?? Well thats a lot of money I could put to better use elsewhere.

Do I LIKE the goosestepping way our Province seems to be going with the HTA? Hell no. But you've got to pick the better fight - this is an issue (detectors) that 99% of the public cannot get on board with. - it is a waste of energy.

Fight the good fight over the seizure of your assets for simple speeding - this is something that the public CAN understand!!
Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

It is legal to have a radar detector in your trunk for use in the US.
if it is concealed they can take apart your car and leave it that way.
it has been discussed if you leave an envelope addressed and with stamp in the glove box and drop it in there and seal it police can't open as it is federal mail...I was told by a cop that this is not true.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this has been mentioned but there's an alternative...
it's a iphone app. called "trapster".

It gives you real time info on a map which follows your vehicles GPS and as you approach a speed trap etc. it will give you an audible warning.
Now this is achieved by a previous "trapster" user simply hitting the screen when passing the speed trap, letting others know the location.

It also comes with preset favorite speed trap spots based on the frequency the police uses these locations.

The best thing is that it legal!!!

Yes, this is considered a "sharing network" and therefore falls outside of the scope of legally chargeable offenses normally associated with these types of electrical devices.

It works great, unless your the first one to get clocked....

Cheers,

Sid.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have trapster on my phone. It's okay. It's not real time info, it just marks the previously reported spots that radar might be. But where I live, it's legal to have a detector. Can you guys get laser jammers in your neck of the woods?

I also have trafficnet to report traffic congestion.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

OK... thinking like a SOB... What would happen if a cop drove around all day clicking away on HIS iphone at false locations just to screw everyone up? Or clicking on a location 500 meters PAST a radar/laser trap?

Is there away for the system to flag this type of abuse Sid?
Old 03-19-2010, 09:08 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the way Trapster works is that a "sighting" gets more "credibility" as more and more people confirm the sighting, and if one person drives by a location where the cop "faked" a sighting, they would provide a negative feedback to the system which would reduce the credibility of the reported cop location.

EDIT: just read nine11's post. Apparently I'm wrong. But this is how it SHOULD work!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:04 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
I think the way Trapster works is that a "sighting" gets more "credibility" as more and more people confirm the sighting, and if one person drives by a location where the cop "faked" a sighting, they would provide a negative feedback to the system which would reduce the credibility of the reported cop location.

EDIT: just read nine11's post. Apparently I'm wrong. But this is how it SHOULD work!
I think there is a 'credibility' thing with the hotspots....I have mine set to only report medium to high risk spots.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I admire some of these guys who take on expensive court fights, based on principle.

In particular, the guy who challenged the Ontario probate fee regime, ending up with a Court of Appeal decision that it was an illegal tax. This forced the governments of all the provinces and territories to review their fee schedules, and the Klein government in Alberta decided to lower many of them. The result is that you can file a multi million dollar probate with the Court of Queen's Bench for $400.00, or register a million dollar property at the land titles office for $235.00.

But in other provinces, you may not get off so easy...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM
DrXenon
Intermediate

I'm in a detector-legal state on business and wondered if a detector that's "VG-2 immune" is suitable for use in Ontario?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:03 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by DrXenon
I'm in a detector-legal state on business and wondered if a detector that's "VG-2 immune" is suitable for use in Ontario?
Look for a Beltronics STi
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by theiceman
Just WAY too much information ..
Lol!!!!

Quick Reply: Radar detectors in Canada