Notices

rusty nuts - air chisel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Default rusty nuts - air chisel?

Looks like there are some folks here that work on their own vehicles, and some of them are pretty old.

Anyone here remove rusty nuts with an air chisel?

Looks like i'll have to do the rear sway bar links on my wife's 2003 Honda CRV. I did the front last year and it worked ok with an angle grinder, except for a burn on my arm when the severed and still hot nut fell inside the worn cuff of my old sweatshirt I was wearing while I was under the vehicle...... ouch...

I've been reading that an air chisel can be used to cut apart a nut.... just never done it before. I've used an air chisel to chip concrete, remove ceramic tile, but never on metal..... Does it work pretty good?

I can probably remove most of the sway bar link with the angle grinder, just wondering if an air chisel would work better.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And what about a nuts cutter? :P
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI, I don't think we've EVER removed swaybar links with anything less than a torch or a cutoff wheel. They just rust up too badly and the socked spins on it's self. One possible option is to use a pry bar and put pressure on the link and zip it off with an impact. This usually only works after a bath in penetrating oil and a good cleaning of the exposed threads.

Torch is the best way to go. In all honesty, we only charge 1 hour labour to remove and reinstall a pair of swaybar links, might not be worth the aggravation and the parts have a lifetime warranty if you use the 'premium' units.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The best way to get rusty nuts off is with heat, get it cherry red and and then you will be able to wrench it off. Avoid admiring the rusty nut when it comes off by picking it up for a closer look.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

As Vince would say, 'Watch my nuts'!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUbWjIKxrrs
Sorry, could help myself...
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by petee_c
Looks like there are some folks here that work on their own vehicles, and some of them are pretty old.

Anyone here remove rusty nuts with an air chisel?

Looks like i'll have to do the rear sway bar links on my wife's 2003 Honda CRV. I did the front last year and it worked ok with an angle grinder, except for a burn on my arm when the severed and still hot nut fell inside the worn cuff of my old sweatshirt I was wearing while I was under the vehicle...... ouch...
Hey Peter, I've done this several times on various daily drivers, Mechanic in their haste to "get the job done" will likely destroy perfectly good sway bar links by cutting them or over heating them,... guess who gets the preasure of paying for the new ones. If the sway link has a rubber boot heating it to red hot will destroy the rubber boot and the internals or cook the grease inside the link. I use an angle grinder to cut away enough of the nuts without damaging the threads and use new nuts when the job is done.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

the whole idea of taking the sway bar link off is to throw it in the garbage. I have an air chisel and wouldn't waste my time.. i have also done the angle grinder and cutoff wheel I like the cutoff wheel best as it is easier to control but you can't go wrong with the old angle grinder.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

The air chisel will probalby not work. Heating might not either as most of the newer swaybar link have a plastic socket. When the steel ball gets heated, it will melt the socket and the whole thing will pop apart. However this will not be any good as the ball and the nut are still a single piece. Cut it with a torch or with a cutting wheel is the easiest and least time consuming method.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Rusty nuts? My juvinile sense of humour is just itching to go with this -- but I'll remain mature and sensible. Its gonna be tough, though.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
petee_c
Drifting

i'll stick with the angle grinder.... I wonder if I can find a 3" wheel to fit it..... might make it easier to get to the nut without damaging the sway bar or control arm....

I don't have an air chisel, although my neighbor (wife's cousin) does and it's the one i use... I've used it more than him. He got it a couple years ago at a garage sale. it's old (i don't ever remember when tools came in a metal case) but in great shape.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

I'll chime in again because we do this at least once a day.

I have never seen a tech use a chisle. Cut off wheel or cutting torch. You can't go wrong with those.

As for techs being hasty, if you want to pay them $95 an hour to carefully remove a part that probably needs to be replaced anyway and doesn't cost more than $30 each then that's your perogative I suppose.

Either way, easy job.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:21 PM
petee_c
Drifting

i may end up supporting the economy and taking it in and getting a local shop to do it...

P
Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
i may end up supporting the economy and taking it in and getting a local shop to do it...

P
naaah do it yourself! it will be far more rewarding
Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
The best way to get rusty nuts off is with heat, get it cherry red and and then you will be able to wrench it off. Avoid admiring the rusty nut when it comes off by picking it up for a closer look.
+1

You avoid wrecking everything else as well...
Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

.. if you happen to have an oxy-acetaline torch in the garage great .. not something the average home owner would have around I imagine..

Quick Reply: rusty nuts - air chisel?