Notices

Who's going to Mosport for the ALMS this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:01 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's going to Mosport for the ALMS this weekend?

I'm heading down to Mosport this weekend as a uhm "correspondent" for axisofoversteer.com , I help out there I also was lucky enough to get press passes, free tickets & access to the BMW Hospitality Centre as a guest of BMW So a big thanks to BMW!

Should be a wicked battle with the M3s, RSRs, F430s et al.

Who else is going and what days?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Cliff and I are going Sunday.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Christien
Cliff and I are going Sunday.
Having never been on an ALMS weekend, is it fairly open - wheelchair accessible? I can't see why not but you never know! We'll have to meet up or something or other?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Beats me, I've never been to Mosport as a spectator! (other than a lollapalooza show back in 93 or so)

I would think your biggest challenge would be getting across the infield to the various turns to watch. I've never walked them, so I don't know if they're paved, dirt, or what condition they're in. I would think nowadays it would have to be at least somewhat accessible.

I'd be more than happy to help, if you need it, on Sunday. I have no idea where we'll be, or even what the setup will look like. I'm used to being able to pretty much go wherever I want, so it'll be weird to be shut out of certain areas!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Brad, some areas are not and the ones that can be got to means getting there following the dirt roads and then having to go through grass areas.

The top of corner 2. Since there is a parking lot there and the walk is pretty short to the bleachers. It is also crowded since it is convenient.

3rd way down the back straight may be a good option. It's looking down on it and it is flat on the inside of the track. As well the outside of the track right across is good with bleachers and a drink store.(not sure how to get to that side though)

The front straight may be another option but it is on a slope and crowded though you may find enough of a flat spot on the slope though it would be tough getting back up. You could defiantly get to the top of the slope but it may be to far.

Bring binoculars if you got em.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

We'll be there Sat and Sunday....every year we are set up inside turn three, gives a great view of 2 & 3, where there's lots of passing. Also highly recommend turn four for qually....its pretty awesome watching the protos go flat over the hill. Small field of 19 cars this year, but the GT2 battle should be fantastic. GO LIZARDS!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Cleanme: Corner 10 drivers left is the best spot for access and the easest to get there by car and also washrooms right next door. Mosport is a natural terrain road course and although there are flat spots near the fence that you can drive to - be advised that it is pretty basic and rough to get to all area's of the track.

During the ALMS event the paddock is not open to vehicles unless you have a pass for them so anywhere inside the frost fencing that covers the skid pad and far lower paddock is out of bounds.
The only way to the paddock is over the foot bridge on the start finish (no wheelchairs) and through the tunnels at corner 10 and corner 1. You would then have to push a wheel chair through out the paddock to visit any teams.

The top of corner two is not great because of the cable and posts that run across the top of the ridge to prevent cars and motorcycles from getting close to the fence. Corner three could be an option but it is always filled with people in chairs at the fence. Personally, I would pick corner 10 and I'm sure someone can make room at the fence for your guests. It's also a great spot when it rains because you can quickly get to your car to stay dry until the rain stops. Forget corner 5 through 6 for vehicle access.

The best access is a Porsche tent pass! $100 and you get to drive your Porsche (slowly) around the track on Sunday to boot, plus lunch. It does have wheel chair access and is just above corner one. I *think* tickets are still for sale. Check www.mosport.com

I'll be blue flagging somewhere (they move us around for all three days) so it could be either 2, 2A, 4, 5, 5B, 6, 7, 9 or 10 - those are the only corners with blue flag postions. I wore a Porsche teeshirt last year on race day (I got grief for that) and Salo gave me a funny look on the warm up lap. But I can't have any bia's get in the way so he too got through the backmarkers as good as Jorg did.

If anyone wants to visit me and have a chat between sesions: ask for Doug S. at any marshals post and they will let you know where I am. I'm the only Porsche owner in the club so they'll know who your asking for.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Haha brutal. You'd think a race track would be somewhat accessible But BMW said their hospitality Centre/thingy would have tv's set up so worst case scenario I watch some of the race there.

Thanks for the viewing tips
Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone is interested as of 11 AM this Saturday there were still tickets available for the Porsche tent on Sunday. You can order over the phone with a CC and then pick up tomorrow at registration between gates 2 and 3.

George
Old 08-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

maybe you can drive on the road to access turn 5 outside good viewing area and there is a gate there. this is my favorite spot to watch and sometimes they go 3 wide through there passing.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:26 PM
TURBO-951
Racer

I'm in for Sunday ! Does any one have extra passes ?

Quick Reply: Who's going to Mosport for the ALMS this weekend?