Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Changes to importation rules!! effective this week

Just got of the phone with Porsche.
Letter of compliance now only available through local dealer after their inspection (now dealer is ONLY option to have vehicle inspected).
Cost of inspection to get the letter: $1200!! (but it does include an oilchange).
This does not even include the DRL fix which could cost $400 to change the wiring (03 c4s in my case, but will be doing the DRL hack myself)
Guess too many cars rolling in from down south (including mine next week)
Old 06-24-2009, 02:52 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 503 Likes on 322 Posts

Cheaper than what Ferrari of Ontario is charging.... $5k.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Default New rules if importing to Canada!!

just found out today.
Letter of compliance only available through a canadian dealership after they do a full 3 hour inspection (+ oil change). Cost of said inspection: CDN$1200 (not including anything else).
Cost is preset by PCNA.
Lets see how many things the dealer will find before they can give the compliance letter.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:01 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

WOW.

The only problem I see is that it is very self serving. "We can't give you your compliance letter untill you fix......" No letter=no registration.
Easy way to make money for a less than honest dealer.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
1way2rock
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lucky

I guess I am lucky bought and imported my 911 in May. I think this policy is short sighted. You will need parts and will have to get some of them at the dealership therefore more porsches in canada more money for dealers.

Kris just a note when I went to CAA they failed my car because the side lens were not in yellow. They then charge you another 25.00 to get the car passed when you change the lens.

Good luck and enjoy the car!!!!!

Louis
Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I used a printout from the Porsche dealer in Chicago which did my PPI that showed no outstanding recalls.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris, when was this?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying that a dealer in the states can't issue this letter or similar printout? (assuming you bought the car there).

I didn't get a letter per se 3 years ago, just a printout of the dealers computer screen which RIV accepted.

Man that blows.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

crap. i guess bringing up a 2006 c4 is going to get a lot more expensive.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisKringle
Thanks Chris, when was this?
July 2007
Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 757 Likes on 352 Posts

Is this riv policy?

I do 5 - 10 p cars per week and haven't heard of this.

You dudes importing should always include a letter from the selling or servicing dealer as part of the deal.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

Sounds like a mix up of two thing s
There is the letter saying there are no recalls that allow you to import
There is the part 2 RIV form which means you get it checked locally ( usually at CDN tire ) to make sure it meets Canadian road specs.
Looks like Porsche is trying to control the RIV part .. and if it is true mounts up to nothing more than protectionism by Canadian dealers.

Last edited by theiceman; 06-24-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

you should check with RIV. I believe they accept a letter from US dealers stating that there are not outstanding recalls with a printout from their system as back-up (as per Jamie140 post). I had my dealer in Boston do this for me and I also go a letter from PNA. If PNA won't issue the letters any more without a Canadian dealer going over the car I would simply get the U.S. dealer to give you a letter.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

A good bookmark to have.

http://www.riv.ca/

Originally Posted by RIV
There are three types of recall clearance information acceptable to RIV:

1. A letter from the manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office, written on company letterhead, stating clearly that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. This letter must be dated and duly signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer, along with his/her name and position within the company. The letter must include the vehicle identification number, make, model and model year. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will not be accepted. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling the manufacturer’s head office and providing them with the location of the dealership in question. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number, year, make and model of the vehicle and with no indication of an outstanding recall. RIV routinely forwards copies of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

3. Some manufacturers make their recall information available on their public web sites; if this is the case, RIV will verify the information and release the inspection form.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/recall_clearance.html
Old 06-24-2009, 09:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

i still don't think we are talking about the same thing .. that is the clearance letter .. you still have to take it to a certified outlet to hav the car checked out for DRL , bilingual air bag stickers, km on the speedo etc that has nothing to do with the clearance letter .. i think THIS is what they may be trying to control , but as far as I new C.T, had a contract to do them all..

Quick Reply: Changes to importation rules!! effective this week