Notices

Changes to importation rules!! effective this week

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Mercedes was/is also doing this.

When I imported my Boxster back in 03, PCNA issued me a "letter of Compliance" that stated no outstanding recalls, at no charge. Later they started charging for the letter.
When I took my Boxster to the dealer north of Toronto to perform the RIV inspection, the RIV wouldn’t accept the paperwork they issued & the dealer refused to submit the proper forms. I was running out of time on my temp registration and went to the local CDN Tire (should have gone there in the first place) where they did the inspection on the spot. To my surprise CDN Tire didn’t charge for the inspection as they said the cost was included in the RIV import fee. The Dealer charged me $99.50 for the inspection that I wasn’t able use.

A while back the CDN dealers were charging substantial fees to validate the warranty on U.S. cars and were putting owners two weeks wait lists for service appointments.

The dealers are hurting with many sales going south and are making shortsighted attempts to generate profits, only to turn off potential new service clients. The independents must be happy.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

RIV should accept a letter from anyone - last time I talked to them they said they didn't care, so long as it was on PCNA or a dealer's letterhead. She said even a service computer printout with a business card photocopied onto it was adequate.

I think this policy is short sighted. You will need parts and will have to get some of them at the dealership therefore more porsches in canada more money for dealers.
You nailed it on the head. I won't do business with Pfaff because of how poorly I was treated when I imported my boxster a few years ago.

I can almost guarantee you that if you approached the service manager at any US dealership and offered him $100 he'd print your recall letter for you. The dealership I had the PPI done at (Hickory Porsche in NC) did it for free, even 2 weeks after the PPI.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
RIV should accept a letter from anyone - last time I talked to them they said they didn't care, so long as it was on PCNA or a dealer's letterhead. She said even a service computer printout with a business card photocopied onto it was adequate.
+1
My recall clearance for the Honda was just a website printout from my Honda Owner's Link online profile which had the honda information, vin, honda logo at the top and simply said: no outstanding recalls. It couldn't have been simpler

I found the RIV to be pretty informed on how manufacturers handle the letters and unusually helpful for a government agency. Maybe with rarer cars like P-car's and Pasta rockets they don't know what to do with em, but with the more common stuff it's e-z
Old 06-25-2009, 12:16 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

KrisKringle.

Which "Porsche" did u get off the phone with?

I just imported a Boxster 3 weeks ago (June 2009), and RIV accepted a printscreen from the dealer's computer.... of I believe the "Service Management" screen on their computer that says 0 recalls open.

I get mail at the post office, and picked some up today, and Porsche Canada sent me a letter on their letterhead stating the car was free of recalls.. I believe they also may have faxed over a copy of it to RIV directly for me. They also said that I should pick up some bilingual stickers (but my car already passed RIV /out them)

Peter
Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 AM
kcphuah
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 29 Posts

Anyone know hoe mercedes dealer handles the US merc? I am in the process of buying a SL65 and is considering picking one up from the us.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 AM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
i still don't think we are talking about the same thing .. that is the clearance letter .. you still have to take it to a certified outlet to hav the car checked out for DRL , bilingual air bag stickers, km on the speedo etc that has nothing to do with the clearance letter .. i think THIS is what they may be trying to control , but as far as I new C.T, had a contract to do them all..
You're looking for this list. CT has a contract, but there are independant stations you can take the car too.

http://www.riv.ca/english/Independen...on-Centres.pdf
Old 06-25-2009, 08:43 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

ok, I spoke to PCNA @1800-Porsche to request a vehicle clearance letter/letter of compliance yesterday.
They informed me that started this week, the imported vehicle has to be presented to a local dealer for an 'import inspection'.

The dealer will then issue the letter of compliance which you can present to RIV.

PCNA will be advising RIV that this will be the only option. Called RIV and while there's no official guidelines yet, they mentioned more manufacturers will be doing this.

I will still try to get a letter from a US dealer (bought my car privately from a rennlist member).

I also spoke with local dealer who pretty much said exactely the same: new guidelines that came in this week.

Until it becomes a RIV guideline (I expect very near future) one can only hope US dealers will continue to hand out clearnce letters (or until they get told by PCNA not to do so).

Will also contact clearanceletter.com today to see if they can get me one. And talk to a few dealers around Houston. It would be nice to save the $1200 (=mods!)
I will keep you posted.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish Canadians (yes im canadian)had more fight in them. This is just another dirty handshake that our Gov't is doing.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:42 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

duplicate thread moved from 996 forum (mods please merge)
Old 06-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 757 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisKringle
ok, I spoke to PCNA @1800-Porsche to request a vehicle clearance letter/letter of compliance yesterday.
They informed me that started this week, the imported vehicle has to be presented to a local dealer for an 'import inspection'.

The dealer will then issue the letter of compliance which you can present to RIV.

PCNA will be advising RIV that this will be the only option. Called RIV and while there's no official guidelines yet, they mentioned more manufacturers will be doing this.

I will still try to get a letter from a US dealer (bought my car privately from a rennlist member).

I also spoke with local dealer who pretty much said exactely the same: new guidelines that came in this week.

Until it becomes a RIV guideline (I expect very near future) one can only hope US dealers will continue to hand out clearnce letters (or until they get told by PCNA not to do so).

Will also contact clearanceletter.com today to see if they can get me one. And talk to a few dealers around Houston. It would be nice to save the $1200 (=mods!)
I will keep you posted.
We just did one yesterday. No change.

Recall letter from any dealer is fine (should have been included in the deal). Form 2 detailing mods (if any) comes to us for confirmation.

If they intend to screw with the process, get it done NOW. Contact someone like likemystoppie and get him to fax you up a printout.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Here is a link to RIV list of admissible vehicles from the US. Much of the information on admissibly / inadmissibility of particular models is contradictory or possibly out of date. There is a disclaimer note at the beginning of the list that states that the manufacture has the discretion to provide (or not) compliance information to RIV. Without this information RIV will not allow vehicles to be imported.

It sounds like Porsche Canada it trying to become the sole source of this compliance information and possibly preventing PCNA & the US dealers from giving out the info.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...list/vafus.pdf

As others have said, If you are planning on importing a car make sure you can get the “Letter of Compliance” and/or other document on the manufactures letterhead, stating there are no “open” recalls on the car you’re interested in bringing over.
I’ve imported three cars, the last one was over five years ago, and all three had a slightly different process. In fact the first one did not even go through the RIV process, has no RIV label and is registered in Ontario.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

I imported a BMW and RIV would only accept a letter from BMW for admissability and ONLY BMWcould do the headlight modification to comply with the RIV requirment. Paid thru the nose. Wont go to BMW dealer in the future. Imported a Jaguar(dont laugh-Perfect 2000 XK8 and a great commuter for 11,000) and same issue-compliance letter-one line $600, headlight reprogramme $1000. wont go to a Jag dealer ever-while I waited for my car to be ready,NO clients entered the showroom in that two hours. The dealers are running scared. BUT RIV should NOT be part of their scheme. Wrote to the Registrar about my complaint HE was aiding and abbeting the dealer gouging but got NO answer.Luckily I have my own hoist and shop and would moon the dealers if it wre legal.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM
jcjblo
Intermediate

I imported a Mercedes SL500 in 07 and a BMW 3.0XiT last year from the US, here is my experience:
1. The letter from the manufacturer stating that all recalls have been completed and no outstanding recall, from the manufacturer's US representative is acceptable to RIV. With this Canada customs will allow the vehicle to enter Canada and process the required paperwork.
2. RIV will require a Letter from the manufacturer's Canadian representative (MB Canada, BMW Canada, now Porsche Canada) stating that the imported vehicle is in full compliance of Canadian regulations before RIV WILL MAIL you the Part 2 of the importation Form (which you will require before Canadian Tire can do the inspection and complete the process). Without this form, you cannot complete the required inspection and register/license the vehicle in Canada. Technically, you will have to re-export the vehicle back to the US after a certain period (35 days? I forgot).
The Canadian representative of the manufactirer (MB Canada, etc.) will only issue this Letter of Compliance AFTER their authorized dealer has completed the required modifications to Canadian standard (daytime running light, speedo in KM and some minor changes such as airbag lable in bi-lingual languages and A/C control in degrees C and not F). For this, the dealers are charging an arm and a leg ($6,000 in the SL500
and $3500 for the BMW, in my case.
You are right, its a racket that RIV is allowing the manufactirer/dealer to gouge the consumers and I have always wondered when will PCNA wise up to the game and want their pound of flesh as well. Looks like they have now, but at least two years late.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Slip inspector at CT $100 ...

just sayin ...

Think the dealer inspection requirement/ripoff contravenes NAFTA?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

I'm sure that RIV policy being guided by car manufacturers is a conflict of interest.
I agree that a safety system has to be in place regarding imports, but handing all power back to the dealers is wrong.
Class action suit? Maybe a call to ombudsman is in order.

Anyway, can't wait to go get my car and drive the 4000km back home.

Quick Reply: Changes to importation rules!! effective this week