RIV Process ( US to Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:14 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RIV Process ( US to Canada)

How long did your RIV process take?

Flew down to Chicago on Friday, got picked up by the dealer shuttle as soon as we stepped out of the airport (Midway)

I crossed on Saturday morning (Detroit bridge - less than 2hr process, including 20 minutes of 'getting' lost on the US side, and a 20 min web search by the Cdn Customs official to see if my bill of sale was real)

- paid riv.ca the $200 online on Sunday night....

- apparently they can email u the Form 2, and take that w you to CDn tire.....

- only have a 7 day temp permit from Illinois,.... I'd like to get it all done before the 7 days are up...... I have the bill of sale, title with me in the car and valid insurance when I use it..... hope that is good enough if I get pulled over.

-MTO won't give me a special 10 day permit. My bill of sale was from 2 weeks ago (when they 1st overnighted me the papers to sign). For some reason, the clerk says it has to be within 6 days of the sale date.....

P
Old 06-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

phone the RIV and they will email you the documentation.

they did for me.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Thanks Chris,

I phoned the RIV this afternoon, with the case number..... their copy of Form1 hasn't yet arrived from the Windsor office. The lady did ask me to fax a copy of my recall letter, and reference it with my case number. I dd do that this afternoon. She was able to confirm that they had rec'd my online payment.

Oh well, check again tomorrow.

Got the DRL jumpered to come on w the ignition..... good thing is cdn tire in Stratford doesn't need an apptment to do RIV inspections, and they can likely have the safety and etest done there as well.... probably 1.5-2hrs to get it all done.

P
Old 06-08-2009, 04:35 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

In my case in June of 2007 I got my Form 2 the same day. I crossed in buffalo at 8am, paid my RIV fee online and sent in my recall clearance letter just before lunch time and got Form 2 at about 3pm that afternoon.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

this thread is useless without pics!

so what did you pick up?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:23 AM
petee_c
Drifting

2001 Porsche Boxster S (black)

- pics are up at http://www.pjbj.ca/2009/06/porsche-has-arrived.html
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

congrats
looks like you and the family will have some great times
cute kids. I like the video too...."its faster than some other things"
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
petee_c
Drifting

...he thought it was "faster than some air-planes.....i think"

- Recall letter. RIV has my form1 and my recall letter from the Dealership, stating the vehicle , VIN# was free from recalls.... the RIV agent I spoke to on the phone says that they want some printout.... do u know what that is?

Peter
Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

nope, better ask him what he means ...
Old 06-09-2009, 02:31 PM
petee_c
Drifting

spoke with an agent at RIV.ca.... apparently there were 28 recalls on a 2001 Boxster S..... they want a printout that each was done....

.....wow.... just stamp my form, and let me drive my car!

P
Old 06-09-2009, 05:53 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing about the RIV inspection.
When I brought my Boxster into Canadian Tire, I was told my car was required to be equipped with a rear seat tether, and no amount of explaining or showing them the car didn't have back seats would get me out of this requirement. As the inspector was about to not pass my car for lacking this requirement, I suggested I buy a generic tether kit and "install" (toss) it in the trunk. He said that would be fine and that there were no specific requirements as to how or where the rear seat tether was installed.
Other than that ridiculous bureaucratic requirement the rest of the inspection was pretty straight forward.

My RIV timeline.
Import at border/Form 1 - September 10 2003
Form 2 - October 25
Received letter from completion RIV and certification label – November 13

For a recall letter, I used a “Letter of Compliance” that I had requested from Porsche (1-800-PORSCHE) with the PCNA letterhead stating there were no open recalls. Cdn Tire accepted this as sufficient recall documentation.

Once you’re finished with the RIV, looks like you’ll be needing one of these.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=986seat

&

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...y_Code=986seat
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I got a recall clearance letter from Porsche NA free of charge stating that my car had no outstanding recalls. they issue the letters once a week and will send you a hard copy. You can request a fax copy to speed things up.

You can call Porsche Cars of North America at 1-800-767-7243 or (770) 290-3500. They will request that you send a copy of the purschase and sale agreement and possibly the title
Old 06-09-2009, 10:24 PM
petee_c
Drifting

aron,

I ordered the carseat bar from the dealer, and it was waiting for me when I picked up the car. They ended up installing it for free (originally wanted $200 - cause 'there was wiring' - what BS) I said I would install it myself, i just wanted to turn the option on in the computer with their PIWIS. The ended up bolting it on for free.....

I deactivate the bag by inserting an allen key into the buckle and pushing down until I hear a click. Airbag light flashes on the dash for about 60seconds when the pass. airbag's off.

JasonKM,

Yah I talked to PCNA today, and I'll fax a copy of the title and bill of sale over to them 1st thing in the morning... didn't have the papers with me.

Quick Reply: RIV Process ( US to Canada)