Notices

Corvette gets rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Corvette gets rear ended

I was driving into work this morning on the Southbound 404 and between the HWY 7 exit and the 407 exit, I witnessed an accident. A black Mercedes came barelling into a lane of cars that weren't moving and caused a chain reaction. The Corvette was number 4 in the chain. The Mercedes must have been really moving cause the front end was totalled.

I know we have some Corvette guys on the forum and I wanted to know if anyone knows this guy and if he is okay. I watched his body fly forward as his car got rear ended. His license plate reads "PURE NV1".

The sad part is that I passed this guy around Stouffville Rd. and he obviously loves his car and was just cruising at around 100 km/h. I guess that just goes to show you that even if you are not a crazy driver doing 50 over, you can still get in an accident.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Those driving 100 is the cause of most accidents.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

There are a lot of crazies out right now. I witnessed an accident yesterday on the 403 coming out of Hamilton around 5:50 where a guy driving a street rod either lost it or was hit by someone else and his car went straight into the guardrail and exploded sending him flying out the window and onto the slow lane while his car rolled a few times into the fast lane. I was about 20 cars back but by the time I got to the wreak there were quite a few people standing around with him on his back, one of them a nurse.

I *think* he may be ok, so he has been very lucky - but you can't tell me he was wearing seatbelts. If he was, they were not engineered well - which could be an issue as the car had a fiberglass body and a big block up front. You never know if these things are backyard engineered well enough to the point where the bolts pulled out of the chassis.

It's really weird to see something fly off the car as it rolls and then you notice that *something* is a human being!

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/579854

My first thought was that he 'cracked' the throttle and it torque steered into the rail on him - but I was back a bit and didn't see everything. I was lucky in that I was right beside the off ramp and I pulled back the rail that lay across the ramp and threw some of the supports out of the way to get out of there.

He was very close to going straight through it which would have shot him down into a 40 foot ditch and onto a railroad track!

I've seen way too much death and destruction in 25 years of commuting and track work - I guess I'm hardened a bit to these things. (Sigh) By the way - there is no such thing as an accident - only human failure behind someone’s steering wheel or a poor maintenance budget.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recognize the plate but I put forth the question on CF. See if someone there knows anything.

Hope all involved are ok.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I saw that accident on the 403 yesterday too - well, not the accident happening, just the aftermath, on my way home from Mosport (westbound). Brutal. I could tell it was a Model T, but only by the grille. From the westbound lanes the car was unidentifiable, it was so chewed up. One of the worst I've ever seen. The guys doing our bathroom reno were heading home and were caught in the eastbound snarl, they said it cost them 2 hours.

What that pic in the Spec article doesn't show is the "small car", which was a silver Neon or something, in the sunken median between the east and westbound lanes. There was no damage to the front or driver's side - it looked like she went in trying to avoid him rolling. Same with the red pickup truck. Ouch.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
There was no damage to the front or driver's side - it looked like she went in trying to avoid him rolling. Same with the red pickup truck. Ouch.
You should have seen people scatter and the dust flying when he went into the armco! One thing that really pizzed me off were the people behind me and all around me who seemed to feel like they could do something. Some people were letting their kids jump out and run up to the guy on the ground. I'm shaking my head wondering what kind of parents let this happen? I've SEEN horrible accidents and had to attend many trackside - it isn't pretty. *&^%$ retards!

The other thing were the 20+ people I saw all on cell phones. Like who were they calling? 911? Look around dumb asses and you'll see everyone else dialing. GOD! I *hope* they wern't calling home gabbing about what a great accident they saw!!!

The kicker was the guy who rolls down his window as I've throwing a piece of guardrail post to the side of the road who asks, "What happened"? Wrong time to ask that - "What the F**K do you think happened?" was my reply. He rolled up the window without response.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
I was driving into work this morning on the Southbound 404 and between the HWY 7 exit and the 407 exit,
Originally Posted by Christien
I saw that accident on the 403 yesterday too
So which was it?
Old 06-10-2009, 01:49 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

There was 1 accident yesterday with a model T and a completely different accident this morning which involved the Corvette.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:03 AM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Doh! Completely missed that post by torontoworker.

Quick Reply: Corvette gets rear ended