Notices

OT=LCD TV WARRANTY INFO.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:55 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Default OT=LCD TV WARRANTY INFO.

Hello. I am looking for either a Sony or Panasonic LCD and was wondering which has a better warranty. I would be buying an extended warranty with either tv. What I am most concerned with is having a small amount of pixels go out and have them tell me it's ok, you can still watch it, and do nothing to fix it. Has anyone had any warranty issues with their T.V they can share. Thank You for your advice.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Sharp Aquas is the BEST...

I have had my Sony LCD Bulb changed under Warranty/Recell thru Bestbuy... you best bet is to buy thru Bestbuy/Futurshop and buy Extended Warranty... again best is Sharp in Quality
Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Get the BestBuy extended warranty...it's quite good and they'll let you return and exchange your set with no questions asked in the first 30 days if you don't like it. I have a Sony and a Samsung and they're both excellent.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM
targa sixfour
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with Phil, Best Buy Extended warranty saved me some serious cash.

Originally had a Samsung 48" DLP, electricial storm fried it so they replaced it with a 56" Sony LCD no charge plus they gave me four more years of warranty. The kicker was I was on my last year on the original warranty...
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by targa sixfour
Originally had a Samsung 48" DLP, electricial storm fried it so they replaced it with a 56" Sony LCD no charge plus they gave me four more years of warranty. The kicker was I was on my last year on the original warranty...
http://downloads.eatoncanada.ca/down...ewsletter5.pdf

My buddy installed mine at the box for a case of beer. I have a Phillps brand - about $350 I think. Installed for around $500 if you don't know a licenced guy like I do. You should still have surge protectors on everything you value as well but protection at the meter from Hydro spikes and at the breakers will save your Fridges and stoves. People don't think of their fridges but it's easy to fry up the motors and controls in them from lightning. Thats a $2000 replacement bill I don't want! Even Mike Holmes (from the TV show Holmes on Homes) had 15K of damage to his gear after a strike and now recommends that everyone install these units. In fact he is trying to get the Ontario Government to make it part of the building code and the insurance industry to give rebates (good luck with the insurance companies!!!) if you install one.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zookie
Sharp Aquas is the BEST...
+1

I chose to go with an Aquos after talking to a guy who does warranty repairs for all the major brands of flat screens. He said the Aquos is the only one he almost never sees in his shop.
That did it for me.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharpe Aquos has been rated as the best!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
Sharpe Aquos has been rated as the best!!!!
They Invented this Ish...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by red996
Hello. I am looking for either a Sony or Panasonic LCD and was wondering which has a better warranty. I would be buying an extended warranty with either tv. What I am most concerned with is having a small amount of pixels go out and have them tell me it's ok, you can still watch it, and do nothing to fix it. Has anyone had any warranty issues with their T.V they can share. Thank You for your advice.
Panasonic doesnt make LCD's bigger than 37" so if you are looking for something bigger, you will have to look at Plasma if Panasonic is your preferred manufacturer. As far as warranty goes on the Sony or Panasonic, Panasonic has the best manufacturers warranty around, Sony not so much, Panasonics service for replacement within their waranty period is also great.

If you are going to buy an extended warranty you are better off going to Futureshop and do some serious haggling, they will wheel and deal with you (I was a General Manager with Future Shop) especially oin the current market, they are hurting a little. The extended warranty is a great idea, and I still buy them for anything I purchase now.

From a picture quality perspective, side by side the Samsung edges out all others. Sony LCD's have their panels manufactured by Sharp, perciously they were made by Samsung. The overall ratings of the Sony has dropped since the change to Sharp panels. The Sharp are very good when it comes to te limited service requirement, however if its picture quality you are after look at Samsung.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

i was told there are only Two LCD Manufaturers which would be Sharp and Samsung... Other brands use their Components
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go plasma if you want a good picture. Hands Down!
I do this for a living. Take my word for it.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought a SHARP Aquos L.C.D from Future Shop with an extended warranty. I did some shopping and got a great T.V at a great price. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Good for you, i wish i had bought a Sharp...

Which one did you buy? Link it..

Quick Reply: OT=LCD TV WARRANTY INFO.