Notices

Traffic violations - Out of Province

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:05 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Traffic violations - Out of Province

Hope someone knows for sure on this one: for Out of province traffic violations Ontario has an agreement with the rest of Canada and with NY state and Michigan where all traffic violations are reported and posted on your driver's record including Demerit points. Is there any such agreement with other jurisdictions like the other 48 US states, Mexico, European countries, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Japan, South American countries? thank you

George
Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Q: Does Ontario have reciprocal agreement with other provinces and the U.S. i.e. if I am an Ontario resident but received a speeding ticket in another province/the U.S., will the ticket be reported back to Ontario?

A: All provinces in Canada have reciprocal agreement with Ontario. The following states in the U.S. also have reciprocal agreement with Ontario: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, District of Columbia (41 states).
Old 03-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Q: Does Ontario have reciprocal agreement with other provinces and the U.S. i.e. if I am an Ontario resident but received a speeding ticket in another province/the U.S., will the ticket be reported back to Ontario?

A: All provinces in Canada have reciprocal agreement with Ontario. The following states in the U.S. also have reciprocal agreement with Ontario: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, District of Columbia (41 states).

Which States are missing?

I know Kuwait is not connected with Canada, coz i have been banned twice from this country for not paying my Fines before i leave.... We have Speed Camera's here and i get flashed all the time...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Which States are missing?
The boring ones....Iowa.. and the freak states: hawaii and alaska
Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7

They may have an agreement but I don't thing the small towns are clued in they just want their speed tax, I got a speeding ticket 2 years ago in West Virginia I paid it but it never showed up on my record. IMO it's sort of a lottery in this respect.

It probable cost them to send the results to Ontario, you do know Ontario is in a foreign country.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

And doon't forget abowt Kalifornia. I have had two incidents in that large car loving state (aah yes Ventura highway and Hwy 50 to Tahoe), and neither has come back to bite me (now at least 10 years ago). Only watch out is if they happen to pull me over in California before any prior infraction has been removed from their books. (I had received threatening mail early on to suggest that they had a warrant for my immediate arrest should they pull me overin California unless I pay now - but I never did).Anyone by chance know what duration such infractions stay in effect or are active within those non reciprocating states ? ( I haven't heard John Walsh mention my name or display my face on "America's Most Wanted" )
Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Actually, when I was researching this information for the original poster, Florida and California were the two states that came up as being definitely on the sharing of information program. Not sure if this was in place 10 yeras ago so you may be okay. I guess we will know if you post from some random jail next time you go to visit Cali...lol

Last edited by justinsrx7; 03-19-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahama
...I had received threatening mail early on to suggest that they had a warrant for my immediate arrest should they pull me overin California unless I pay now - but I never did
Glenn, the statute of limitations is usually 7 years but if happens to not apply then all I can say is if you get thrown in jail in California don't pick up the bar o soap or they will stick it to you in more ways than one.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Glenn, the statute of limitations is usually 7 years but if happens to not apply then all I can say is if you get thrown in jail in California don't pick up the bar o soap or they will stick it to you in more ways than one.
Now that's funny to me.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you everybody and especially Justin for the replies, I hope this was useful to a few of us.

George

Quick Reply: Traffic violations - Out of Province