Notices

Front plate ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front plate ticket

I was driving home last week and was pulled over - I couldn't for the life of me understand why. When the officer approached she explained it was due to the lack of a front plate. I explained, and she saw, that the plate was in the window. She asked to see my license/ownership/insurance. She came back with a ticket under the offence "Fail to display two plates". I couldn't believe it. I reached back grabbed my camera and headed for the front of the car to take a pic. She wasn't very happy with my doing so. I just told her I need to take a picture of this for later.

You be the Judge. (pic)

As an aside, shortly before that picture was taken there was an accident right next to us (about 2 cars back actually). Seems the cruiser was parked way out into the other lane (they moved the car before this picture) blocking the streetcar. The streetcar came to a halt and two cars behind got hit. Total Fail.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

the great and mighty at their best.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Can't see the pic without a yahoo login (which I don't have), but are you saying the cop was pissed at you for taking a picture of your own car? Yikes.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:48 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gteehan
I was driving home last week and was pulled over - I couldn't for the life of me understand why. When the officer approached she explained it was due to the lack of a front plate. I explained, and she saw, that the plate was in the window. She asked to see my license/ownership/insurance. She came back with a ticket under the offence "Fail to display two plates". I couldn't believe it. I reached back grabbed my camera and headed for the front of the car to take a pic. She wasn't very happy with my doing so. I just told her I need to take a picture of this for later.

You be the Judge. (pic)
That sucks! Happened to me, a lady officer pulled me over with the same 'failure to display' BS while complimenting my car. I told her part of the reason is that it's not hiding behind that useless front plate...she came back with a ticket anyway. I fought it and won. What a waste of tax payer’s money. BTW - Linky no worky.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:49 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey Surf, how did you win? Can you PM me your defense unless you would like to share with everyone.

Al
Old 02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
gteehan
Racer

Here's the pic for those who couldn't access it.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

The cop had a problem with you taking THAT picture? Fight it, claiming she attempted to block your gathering of evidence, or some more official sounding phrase than that. You have every right to take a picture of a public place, whether the cop is there or not, especially when it concerns evidence of an alleged crime.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM
gteehan
Racer

It wasn't so much that she tried to stop me from taking it, but rather, was shocked that I felt it necessary to take the picture.

She was pretty off-base the entire time, asking me what I did for a living. She then went on to say that she finds most people with "cars like these" never have any intention of putting the plate back on the bumper. She also bitched about how she couldn't see my VIN - while it's clear in the picture a portion of it is obstructed I'm not aware of any law saying it has to be visible, nor did she make me aware of one.

I'm also pretty sure that law doesn't say the plate has to be on the bumper - Guess I'll find out in court

As an aside, I had a totally clean driving record until this one. I really could care less about the ticket, but having to take time off to deal with it and having it show up (should I not win in court) the next time I get pulled over pisses me off.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:23 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Plate, H.T.A.

I have some experience with no plate tickets

The H.T.A. itself doesnt actually specify that the plate be attached
to the front bumper, BUT all the judges i've encountered see that
as the spirit of the wording, and want to see it on the bumper.

I found some stuff on wheels.ca, and found the HTA itself makes no mention whatsoever
of where the front 'number plate' as it is called therein has to be attached.

There is a "Regulation", sort of an addendum to the Act, to wit R. R. O. 1990,
Reg. 628, s. 9 (3), which states the plates "...shall be attached to and exposed
in a conspicuous position in the front and rear of the motor vehicle."

If I were you I would just temporarily affix the plate to the bumper,
take a pic of it to show the judge/prosecutor at your trial date - they will dismiss charges,
then put your plate where ever you want.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were driving an 89 Buick she wouldn't have even given you a second look. I'd fight it too.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

would a ticket like this increase insurance premiums? is it considered a moving violation? how much is the ticket?
I put mine on last year when fantino got a hard on for everything and didn't want to give them an excuse to pull me over.
as an aside I think there is a charge for having the plate on the dash as it can slice your throat in case of accident.
what a complete waste of time and money...like there aren't people with guns and knives shooting and stabbing each other every day but got to worry about front plates...oh yeah lots of cars drive away backwards from a scene of a crime.
and there are plenty of minivans, suvs etc with no front plate but cops don't bother them. can't we call it vehicle profiling and say it is discrimination?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbodan
would a ticket like this increase insurance premiums? is it considered a moving violation? how much is the ticket?
I don't have answers for the first two questions, but the
set fine is $85, and the total payable is $110.

Set a court date; show the pic; it'll get dismissed. Yes, it's ridiculous.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:45 PM
gteehan
Racer

@ tricydisco - Thanks for the info and the suggestion to show a pic to prove it has been corrected.

@ turbodan - No idea about the insurance/moving violation questions but I can confirm what trickydisco said about the cost of the fine.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trickydisco
There is a "Regulation", sort of an addendum to the Act, to wit R. R. O. 1990,
Reg. 628, s. 9 (3), which states the plates "...shall be attached to and exposed
in a conspicuous position in the front and rear of the motor vehicle."
The exact text I found is "The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3)." - see http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...0628_e.htm#BK2

Lawyers and judges do like to be picky and I'd guess that there is reasonable chance they would state there is a difference between "on the front and rear" and "in the front and rear". I think the wording of the regulation can reasonably be interpreted as not allowing the plate to be on the dash for 2 different reasons - it isn't "Attached" and it isn't "on the front" of the vehicle.

A friend has addressed this on his Audi TT by epoxying some super magnets behing the plastic bumber cover and some matched magnets in a license holder. He puts it on for street driving and just lifts it off for track. When he showed me, I was nervous but he claims it has never come off unintentionally. I'm not sure it addresses the "attached" from a legal perspective but not likely the police would bother checking for how solidly its attached.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten two tickets this year for the same thing.

They do count as moving violations (from what I remember). I think it says so on the ticket.

Quick Reply: Front plate ticket