Notices

Front plate ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Lawyers and judges do like to be picky and I'd guess that there is reasonable chance they would state there is a difference between "on the front and rear" and "in the front and rear". I think the wording of the regulation can reasonably be interpreted as not allowing the plate to be on the dash for 2 different reasons - it isn't "Attached" and it isn't "on the front" of the vehicle.
well, it is called the front windshield which could be interpreted as the front of the car.Secondly, define attached. Being that it is wedged in, it is attached by fricton.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

At work we use 5 ton trucks that have the rear plate under the rear tail light. Problem is the tail light is around 12 inches from the ground. In this weather the plates tend to fall off from backing into snow banks.
A co-worker got a ticket a month ago for no rear plate. The funny thing is commercial vehicles have the sticker on the front plate.
Doesn't help your situation just shows you weren't the only one getting a ridiculous ticket.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:17 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
well, it is called the front windshield which could be interpreted as the front of the car.Secondly, define attached. Being that it is wedged in, it is attached by fricton.
Hey - don't get me wrong - I think the rule is stupid - other provinces seem to be able to get by just fine without a front plate. I'd love to get rid of the front plate on my car but it seems pretty clear to me that a judge is much more likely to side with the Police on this.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:37 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
hey Surf, how did you win? Can you PM me your defense unless you would like to share with everyone.

Al
I'm not sure this is defensible in any other scenario. The JDM front bumper for the Z32 Twinturbo couldn't accommodate the front plate. I explained to the judge that I just had the bumper installed which didn’t come with the bracket and since receiving the offense, I “somehow” fastened the license plate on the Japanese bumper. I proved it with a picture of the Z with the plate on. Funny, now I can't find a single picture with the front plate but here's one with the FairladyZ plate cover that got me in trouble. It really ruined the look of the car, it kind of looked like it needed braces. Man that car got a lot of attention.

Last edited by 99three; 11-14-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:37 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get the rule either. Many provinces don't require it, and wouldn't it save our province some dough? Charge us the same, but half the production costs?

I drove my NSX for years without one, but in the last two years of ownership, I got harrassed non stop by the police it seems. I drove the speed limit, was courteous etc. but flashy red cars....

So when I bought my Porsche, I figured that I just want to be left alone and put the stupid thing on my car. I hate it, but they don't pull me over for driving down the street now.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:59 PM
carguy88
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad..would love to get rid of front plate, but not much we can do.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I took a photocopy of mine, shrunk it down, printed it and taped it to the top of the window above the rear view mirror.

Presto!

Last edited by peritus; 10-02-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Stovepipe
AutoX

Some friendly advice....

-the ticket isn't a moving violation (no points are associated with it) so your insurance should not be affected

-you can fight it but your only rational defense is to take a picture showing the plate 'properly attached', i.e. to the front bumper. Then the Justice-of-the-Peace may let you off. You won't win by arguing the windshield location meets the spirit of the law; countless others have been down that road without success.

There's no incentive for the province to get rid of the front plate. Mr. Fantino and his Imperial Storm Troopers love the flat, reflective surface that kicks back their LIDAR/RADAR beam so clearly.

Good luck.

Phil
Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 AM
turboGary
Racer

I got a ticket the first time I ever drove my beetle down Young St. one Sat night. Cop drove by a wipped around pulled me over a gave me a ticket without even a blink.

I later attached it under the front to a hinge so when driving it would flip up and when stopped it would swing down. No ticket ever again.

Last edited by turboGary; 04-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by peritus
I took a photocopy of mine, shrunk it down, printed it and taped it to the top of the window above the rear view mirror.
James, thats a nice on track pic of your car... but best if that photo copy wasn't there.

There is a riced out civic that has a spring loaded license plate holder, the spring is adjusted such that the license plate is down when stationary but it swings up and out of the way as soon as sufficient air hits it and it stays up until the car stops again. I don't know the guy but some one said that he bought the license frame in Hong Kong.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to the police while driving the p-car, I feel that the less reasons I give them to pull me over, the better off my life will be. While it doesn't look great, I've always kept the front plate on my car because it gets tiring getting pulled over at inopportune times. I hope the judge throws the ticket out, such a waste of everyone's time!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I thought about it when I picked up my RS, but I just put the thing on to avoid being pulled over.Also, its required in Europe so I knew that I had to do it. If you are doing Euro delivery they will fit a front plate automatically, by the way.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Same dumb rule in BC. Shootings seemingly daily lately yet the police waste time on stupid things like this. As a previous poster stated, a dirty old Buick wouldn't even get a second glance.

As another previous poster stated, the insurance decal must be on the front plate of a commercial vehicle. The following is stupid laws at their best ( I drive commercial trucks );
1. Ticketed for non-visible insurance decal. It had been sand blasted by the crap on the roads.
2. Replaced decal ( not free ) and put a clear plastic cover to protect plate & decal.
3. Ticketed for "concealing" license plate.
4. Removed protective cover.
5. ticketed again a month later for, you guessed it, non-visible insurance decal!

Please note this all happened over a three month period at the same road-side weigh scale in the winter. What really pissed me off is the fact that they know very well if you have insurance (and just about everything else!) by running your plate. Oh well, what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger, right?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:33 PM
picus
Advanced

It's the attached part that gets you. I've had three front plate tickets, I contested them all and all were dismissed (just talked to the da's assistant and they dismissed, almost as if they couldn't be bothered), but I got sick of being pulled over to I installed a bracket that lets me attach the plate without holes in the bumper.

Quick Reply: Front plate ticket