Notices

Any luck beating speeding tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:34 AM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

not wearing a seat belt will set you back $110 and two Demerit points Matt so I don't think that would be such a good idea

George
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 306 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for your input guys.
Not ilegal to pass ona double? I know a single is pass with caution.
What about speeding while passing? If I would have made a 'granny" pass, I would have been passing going up a hill.
I guess it is up to the cop's discretion.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

okay a couple of basic points here ( excuse the pun )

1. Points mean nothing anymore ( up to a point ) . Insurance companies look at number of minor convictions and number of major convictions. Reducing to get rid of points is a wasted effort unless it is for misnistry reasons , not insurance reasons
2. Seeing the prosecutor before trial IS EFFECTIVE. I have had reductions doing this over 80% of the time. They can reduce the dollar value on the ticket substantially. they can reduce the conviction also if you plead gulity to a lesser charge. The main reson for doing this should be for money however not points, unless of course you are trying to reduce a dnagerous driving charge, but good luck with that one.
3. tickets can stay on your transcript up to 7 years. Does not mean it is used but they are there, i have seen my transcript and there were tickets on there I completely forgot about.
4. The Ministry of transport looks back 2 years.
5. Most insurace look back 36 months for tickets , and 5-7 years for at fault accidents depending on the insurance company.
The Ministry as stated will watch you for 2 years , at 9 points you may have to go for an interview.
6. The information does not go on your record until you are convicted, but it is backdated to the date of offense, so do the math, it pays to delay as long as possible in case you get another and need to switch insurance FAST before conviction.

a case in point :

a few ( ahem ) years ago I had 3 tickets and no one would insure me ( all minor with no points ) I was insured under my fleet policy at work but i wanted my own car. I was between Porsches at the time and wated to insure an old Audi i bought.
Wouldn't you know it I got a fourth ticket.
I delayed and delayed the courts on this ticket, the first one came off, I was able to get insurance with now only 2 tickets, once i got the insurance about a week later ( this was 6 months after the I actually got the ticket ) i was convicted but I already had insurance and was okay .

I have since cleaned up my act obviously but this is just an example of how you have to manipulate the sytem to your benefit.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
okay a couple of basic points here ( excuse the pun )

1. Points mean nothing anymore ( up to a point ) . Insurance companies look at number of minor convictions and number of major convictions. Reducing to get rid of points is a wasted effort unless it is for misnistry reasons , not insurance reasons
2. Seeing the prosecutor before trial IS EFFECTIVE. I have had reductions doing this over 80% of the time. They can reduce the dollar value on the ticket substantially. they can reduce the conviction also if you plead gulity to a lesser charge. The main reson for doing this should be for money however not points, unless of course you are trying to reduce a dnagerous driving charge, but good luck with that one.
3. tickets can stay on your transcript up to 7 years. Does not mean it is used but they are there, i have seen my transcript and there were tickets on there I completely forgot about.
4. The Ministry of transport looks back 2 years.
5. Most insurace look back 36 months for tickets , and 5-7 years for at fault accidents depending on the insurance company.
The Ministry as stated will watch you for 2 years , at 9 points you may have to go for an interview.
6. The information does not go on your record until you are convicted, but it is backdated to the date of offense, so do the math, it pays to delay as long as possible in case you get another and need to switch insurance FAST before conviction.

a case in point :

a few ( ahem ) years ago I had 3 tickets and no one would insure me ( all minor with no points ) I was insured under my fleet policy at work but i wanted my own car. I was between Porsches at the time and wated to insure an old Audi i bought.
Wouldn't you know it I got a fourth ticket.
I delayed and delayed the courts on this ticket, the first one came off, I was able to get insurance with now only 2 tickets, once i got the insurance about a week later ( this was 6 months after the I actually got the ticket ) i was convicted but I already had insurance and was okay .

I have since cleaned up my act obviously but this is just an example of how you have to manipulate the sytem to your benefit.
+1 Nice bit of strategy to think about.

Delay, delay, delay the conviction = $$$ saved on insurance
Old 10-18-2008, 05:20 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
+1 Nice bit of strategy to think about.

Delay, delay, delay the conviction = $$$ saved on insurance
Thanks all.
Delaying is the plan.
Actually getting off will be rolling the dice.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Default Update

Hey All,
Met with the prosecutor this morning. Offered to go from 30 over / $220 to 19 over / $40. Good deal if that is what I was after.
They will mail me a court date to fight it.
Rod
Old 11-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Actually they failed to produce evidence for a conviction. I wasn't there, went through Jack. Sounds like the Cop didn't show up.
congrats Greg,
it is great to hear some good news for someone...lots of bad vibes going around (economy, weather, speeding tix etc)
who is Jack? don't ask me why I need to know (got caught 74 in a 50, lowered to 60 in a 50)
Old 11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Jack from the 2nd post in this tread. Jack Sturch from HELP Ticket Experts, 416-503-4990 or 1800 568-7356.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

thanx Greg
Old 11-12-2008, 03:27 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Hey All,
Met with the prosecutor this morning. Offered to go from 30 over / $220 to 19 over / $40. Good deal if that is what I was after.
They will mail me a court date to fight it.
Rod
At least now you have your worst case scenario. Have your ordered/received disclosure yet. If you don't get it, that will be one avenue for getting the charge dropped altogether.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:07 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
thanx Greg
What happened with the ticket you got in Bowmanville going to Mosport? Did you get off on that one?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
What happened with the ticket you got in Bowmanville going to Mosport? Did you get off on that one?
January court date (I will be out of town on business) so I hired a paralegal to ask for adjournment if cop shows up.

so now 2 pending
I hate Ontario traffic law enforcement...and the minivans just keep speeding through all the stop signs in my residential area at after school. but going 75 on Lawrence avenue, our tax dollars at work!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:52 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Have your ordered/received disclosure yet. If you don't get it, that will be one avenue for getting the charge dropped altogether.
I was going to wait until I get my court date in the mail.
I figure the more I procrastinate the better.
Any advice moving forward?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I was going to wait until I get my court date in the mail.
I figure the more I procrastinate the better.
Any advice moving forward?
move forward below speed limit
Old 11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by Turbodan
move forward below speed limit
For you or me?

The worst part about all of this **** is the paranoia of getting another ticket.
I'm still cruising around doing 15 to 20 over wondering if the cop I just passed is getting laid.
Feeling lucky .....

Quick Reply: Any luck beating speeding tickets?