Notices

Any luck beating speeding tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an update on my latest fight - very curious (Brad - would love your input on this if you have any thoughts)

Extra bonus love flowed my way today. I don't actually understand what happened.

Went and checked in before the Court session started, telling him I wanted to move the date so I could FFD (File for Disclosure) and the prosecutor said, "You've had 10 months to move this". I replied that due to a death in the family and then the strike - I never managed to get it moved. He said, Fine - you'll have to ask the JP.

Session starts and it's PACKED. Almost 70 cases to plow through. The JP says in his opening remarks, if you're here for a not guilty plea - there's a good chance we won't get to you today! (I suspect if this happens to you even once - you'd have a Charter agrument defence possibility, so long as THEY move you!)

I can't see the officer for my case in the courtroom and while I just wanted to move for an ajournment, I was cautiously suspecting that the officer wasn't there and I might get the charges withdrawn. One can hope, but it's been made clear in this forum that it's rare. Nonetheless, a look at the dockett showed my officer was there for only three cases - so I had some reason for optimism.

After a few cases, they call me up and the PP says "The officer has no evidence in this case, and so I wish to withdraw the charges."

JP says, "Sir, you're free to go"

WTH?? I have NO clue why this occured. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth - and I'm actually VERY thankful to the officer - if indeed he WAS there and just wanted to let me off - but I'd love to know WHY this occured!

Lesson learned? ALWAYS fight everything and don't bargain - you never know how well it can turn out.

On the way out - I met up with a hockey pal who's an Toronto Police officer and I told him the story. He suggested that I displayed the appropriate "attitude adjustment" at the roadside and the guy was giving me a break. I must say I WAS very respectful and calm (always am - trying to be "forgettable"), while carefully not admitting guilt. Perhaps that helped?

In any case - I'm still 100% clean, for the moment. : )

RK

Quick Reply: Any luck beating speeding tickets?