Notices

Niagara drive on Oct 19

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:20 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well for a get together at Chapters i agree, and if we only had a very small group i would agree,.
In this case I think having one marquee could be seen as a "club run" which in essence we are. you start getting other cars in the mix and we could be viewed as a bunch of cowboys on the roads.

just my opinion of course. It is all up to Jim .
I understand fully - just a comment. In the old days, before all of these forums, we used to have Porsche Club runs - UCR members only, 99.9% Porsche's - the odd member would bring his other car, ie) Plouffe and his Ferrari, some interesting Bimmers, etc.

It's always nice to see a one marque only run through small towns.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

yea but this is Rennlist... not Porsche Club NA, i would'nt wanna go on a ruise with UCR...
Old 09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Porsche only please imho...there are enough interesting p-car models without introducing other "marques" into the mix. Personally, if I want to know more about the other marques, I'll join their forums. Whether the other clubs/groups/forums reciprocate or not is really not the point, since the more mixed up it is, the less focused it becomes and for some of us it makes it less and less interesting to participate.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
yea but this is Rennlist... not Porsche Club NA, i would'nt wanna go on a ruise with UCR...
I've veered away from the Club for years just because of work, family, and other committments, so I don't know what they do these days, but years ago, they used to have the best organized runs -ones that have not been rivaled since.

Have you every been to any UCR events? - What are they like these days? I have been a member for the past 15 years. I was heavily involved the first ~ 8 years with events, track, etc, but then work, kides, etc took over. Wonder whats going on these days?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

UCR events are ok, just not that easy to get into really. DE's if you're in the green or yellow group, fill up almost immediately. My experience has been that the track events are well organized but quite large so you don't get more than 4 x 20 min runs per day...lots of sitting around. I did appreciate having an excellent instructor this year who really helped me tremendously. However last year, one of the instructors was a complete jerk-off (one of the old cronies from the UCR "elite") and made the session really terrible. But hey, it's a track event and there are lots of rennlisters there to keep you company.
I haven't been on a UCR fun run but that not from lack of trying. When I first joined 2.5 years ago, I tried to sign up for some and they were always full; usually capped at a max of about 12 cars. It might be different now, but I prefer our own runs with lots of p-cars.
The socials are ok as long as some of my rennlist buddies are going too or else it's too clique-y with the old boys keeping to themselves; a bit impenetrable as a group. The UCR regulars seem to be "dine and dash" types who leave as soon as possible after the dinner. We rennlisters are the "wild ones" and end up closing the place when we leave by 9:30 pm!
imho, the rennlist GTA contingent is a very open and welcoming group where lots of new friendships have flourished.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

+1 what Pongobaz said... in post 63
Old 09-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Hear Hear! Totally agree with Pongobaz. Rennlist crowd is great. I tried the UCR stuff years ago when I had my first Turbo and was generally shunned. Not fun. Now - the old guard might be gone -but the friendliness and fun of the Rennlist crowd in unparalleled. And I've played with a broad range of car nuts, both sport- and marque-centric. Rennlist is amongst the very best.

Further - I'd be vote three (I think that's the count) for P-cars only for the Oct Run. Ultimately, Jim's call - but it gets so diluted if even one other marque shows up (at least for me).

Tangentially, I've always questioned the inclusion of the Corvettes at our GTG's. I'm sure they're great guys and I admire the car from afar - but I'll never own one and have nothing more than a passing curiousity about them. It doesn't really spoil the Saturday meets - but I don't really get the attraction or logic. But that's just me I guess.

RK
Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I like cars and car people and if only a couple of Pcars were going on the drive I'd be first to open it up. That does not appear to be the case so it will be Porsches only. It is important to remember that this drive will introduce everyone to some interesting roads and views and because of the size of the gathering the speeds might be rather slow and boring but that can't be helped. If anyone is interested in a real challenge then talk to me about driving to James Bay, 600 kms of a wide open private road with absolutely no services except at mid point. That drive will be restricted to six cars. This one, well everyone is welcome. The rules are there are no rules.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:01 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
If anyone is interested in a real challenge then talk to me about driving to James Bay, 600 kms of a wide open private road with absolutely no services except at mid point.
I've heard about that road. I have always been tempted to do it but I fear my car would have an issue half way through and then I would really be screwed.

I say if worse comes to worse and there are too many P cars just divide it into two groups. Air Cooled Guys and the Coolant Gang.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:50 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

[QUOTE=old man neri;5829654]I've heard about that road. I have always been tempted to do it but I fear my car would have an issue half way through and then I would really be screwed.

The remoteness of the road and lack of support is what makes it an adventure worth doing.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't been around a lot of car clubs, and those I have are only Porsche-related, but I'll put in another vote that the rennlist group are awesome. We've had a few Pelican fun runs and those are a blast - it's a bit of a different group, because Pelican is populated with more older cars and a lot of DIY guys, but every bit as fun as the rennlist gang. But some of my best P-car memories so far have been with the rennlist crew - dropping my engine with Jim, taking my daughter to ogle the cars on Sat. am at Chapters, the go-kart day last winter (it felt SO good to get my helmet and driving gloves out in the middle of winter!), and of course the track days - not just Arnaud's, but a bunch of us also had a great day at Dunnville last fall (well, most of us - poor James!) which we should definitely repeat this fall.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Christien
Race Car

Oh yeah, and as for other marques, I'm somewhat ambivalent because I don't want to appear exclusive or snotty, but it's only ever been Porsches that stirred my heart. Mmm, maybe 70s/80s Ferraris and Lambos as well. Corvettes do absolutely nothing for me. No offense to the owners (my dad has one and I gained some respect for it at Mosport), but they do nothing to get me excited. It's a GM. A fancy one, but a GM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rally Guy

Tangentially, I've always questioned the inclusion of the Corvettes at our GTG's. I'm sure they're great guys and I admire the car from afar - but I'll never own one and have nothing more than a passing curiousity about them. It doesn't really spoil the Saturday meets - but I don't really get the attraction or logic. But that's just me I guess.

RK
Yeah, it's not like we set it up as a 'vette/p-car GTG. But because of the popularity and occasional media attention, over time they sorta adopted the location as their own too. But it's really like there are two separate GTGs going on at Chapters: us and them with a little curiosity from both sides. No harm, no foul.
Hey Chris,
I'm up for a final Dunnville morning before the season is out. Any idea when that might be?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Christien
Race Car

Phil, I'll start a new thread so we don't hijack this one.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill .....

Quick Reply: Niagara drive on Oct 19