iphone 3G confirmed for Canada July 11th

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F430CS
can we get iPhone 3g without the data plan?
From what a Rogers CSR told me, yes.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Phil: sorry you received poor service...PM me if you do not get what you want and I will follow up directly..I missed this thread as I was away.
Ronan
Thanks Ronan. I'll try to talk to another CSR today...I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Ivc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I'll try to talk to another CSR today...I'll let you know how it works out.
Phil, if I read your earlier post correctly, what the CSR was telling you is that you haven't crossed the time threshold for a hardware upgrade. (I think it's usually 2 years out of 3 for a consumer contract and 1 year out of 3 for a business contract.) In other words, you can't enter into a long-term contract and take the benefit of the subsidized price you got on your current device, and then 6 months later demand a new device at the price advertised for new activations. I doubt that the CSR had any form of discretion on this sort of issue. Sounds like he was just doing his job.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Mark,
yes and no. I always have gone with long term contracts with Rogers and they have usually been very accommodating when I needed something done that fell outside of their playbook. My phone was replaced last December because of equipment failure, but they still count it as a hardware upgrade even if I got the exact same model. Now that I need a data plan, the current phone is really not suitable for it so I thought they'd be happy to get me into an iphone.
Since I pay for 4 phones in my household, invariably one is eligible for an upgrade at anytime. I suggested to the CSR that we upgrade my daughter's cell to an iphone since her's was eligible and that I just give her my (fairly new) Razr and swap in my sim into the iphone. He wouldn't even do that since the iphone comes with a new special sim and he would only authorize it with my daughter's number. What difference does it make as to which phone is used by who on the same account!?! He was totally unwilling to work with me on this
Anyway, I'll try to get someone a little more reasonable today.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

@ Pongo: there is no "special" sim. You just pop in your current one. In fact, it's what the CSR told me to do once my 3G arrives.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Ivc
Advanced

Phil, I see your point. Definitely should have been some flexibility in those circumstances. Hope you have better luck with the next CSR!

I'm looking for a 16GB iPhone in the stores downtown. No luck so far.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:09 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SHEMM
Yes, try again. I'm on the family plan and my son wanted his second upgrade in two years. He called Rogers on Friday and the phone will be delivered to our house by Wednesday of this week. He has no data plan, just phone and text. The cost for the 16 Gig was $ 324 - no issues, no 3 year plan, no data plan, just the $ 40 phone/high text plan he has. He said the lady was really nice, said they had lots, and didn't even want to speak to me. This after speaking to half a dozen other CSR who all told him the same thing....."next week, maybe, but no home delivery available for the iphone unless you are a new activation."

Will see what happens on Wednesday.......Rogers confirms its in UPS hands today.
Well - they were a little late, but the phone came today via UPS.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Phil: sorry you received poor service...PM me if you do not get what you want and I will follow up directly..I missed this thread as I was away.
Ronan
Hey Ronan - if you are with Rogers, please PM me. Trying to get them to quote on our business, but they don't seem to be interested in 37 phones + blackberries away from Telus.....Bell is.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Ivc
Advanced

Colour me a happy iPhone 3G 16GB owner, as of yesterday aft. Awesome device!

Ronan, I know that you end up taking a lot of flack in here about Rogers customer service, so it pleases me tell you that I received superb customer service from the Rogers executive service rep assigned to my firm, and the Discovery Communications guy he pointed me to in order to get the iPhone account set up and the device into my hands. They both went out of their way to make it happen as quickly as possible, and worked with me to set up the plan that was best for me, in conjunction with my existing Rogers BB plan. Very satisfied, start to finish.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Shemm:done
Phil: following up..was out of office yesterday ..left message but will follow up Monday.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I decided not to get the iPhone.

I played with it for a couple weeks and, as an entertainment device, nothing beats it. However, as a business appliance it's not at the same level as a blackberry. So, I have a curve on the way!

I'd like to echo Ivc's comment; I received top-notch support from Rogers over the past week.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Carrera_GTcrazy
Instructor

How can I get a Iphone without a Data plan? I want one but can't see myself spending so much per month for a data plan...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Shemm:done
Phil: following up..was out of office yesterday ..left message but will follow up Monday.
thanks Ronan.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
I decided not to get the iPhone.

I played with it for a couple weeks and, as an entertainment device, nothing beats it. However, as a business appliance it's not at the same level as a blackberry. So, I have a curve on the way!

I'd like to echo Ivc's comment; I received top-notch support from Rogers over the past week.
Ignore my last comment.

Rogers charged me a lot more for my phones than agreed upon. Now I gotta call them *again*. I can't believe this.

Quick Reply: iphone 3G confirmed for Canada July 11th