Notices

Anyone have a trailer I could borrow or rent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Anyone have a trailer I could borrow or rent?

As most of you guys know, I've been working on a tranny rebuild in my 911 over the last few months. I've been doing it at my parents' cottage on Lake Huron, where I store it over the winter. I've had several trips back and forth for forgotten parts, broken parts, and just simply needing to get home for work, and I'm sick of the 2 hour drive (one-way). So I want to trailer the car home so I can work on it here. That way if I need something, Canadian Tire, Mantis, etc. are all within 20 minutes. The nearest CT to the lake is 30 or 40 minutes, one way.

Does anyone have a trailer I could borrow or rent? The tow vehicle would be our 2004 Ford Explorer. It's got a square hitch on the back, along with the electric plug. I'm not too familiar with the technical aspects of trailers, but if there's a spec or anything required, I can look it up in the owner's manual. Open trailer is fine, and running the rear wheels on the ground is also fine.

I tried Uhaul's website and their automated "service" said an 04 can't be used as a towing vehicle. Which is why the factory installed a tow hitch...

Thanks!
Chris
Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I would pop by the U-Haul outlet you would use and talk to them in person.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
Christien
Race Car

I will, but my last experience with Uhaul trailers was, shall we say, less than satisfactory. We had to convince them to rent us the trailer - they didn't want to at first, because the idiot stick couldn't find a Porsche 944 in his manual, so couldn't determine the weight, to make sure the tow vehicle (Chevy Trailblazer) was adequate. Then the monkeys couldn't figure out how to hook the trailer up - you know how unusual those GM SUVs can be...

Uhaul is a Last resort only.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a V6 Explorer or a V8?

A V8 can tow the 911 or 944 + trailer no problem, as long as you have the big 3" hitch receiver.

I personally would NOT tow a car & trailer with a V6 Explorer, even if you have the correct, larger hitch. (too close to max limits, although it's doable)

You cannot tow jack squat if you have the little 1inch hitch receiver.

BTW, I've used Uhaul to tow my 968 with an '04 Navigator, and everything was just dandy.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Christien
Race Car

It's a V8. I'd have to double check, but I'm sure the hitch is bigger than 1", and 3" sounds about right.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Christien, how far in kms is the car for your house? Last year a buddy o mine bought a vintage sports cars from someone in Owen Sound he used his CAA Premier card to "flat bed"the car to his home in Markham. Tell them that it's broken, the Premier card (if I'm not mistaken) allows for up to 200 km free towing then you get charged for additional kms, you can request a flatbed tow vehicle. Usually they only want to tow the car to a repair shop but they will drop the car where ever you want.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Christien
Race Car

According to google maps, it's 205km, so almost the limit exactly. That's an option, though they also stipulate you have to wait a week before services come into effect, presumably to stop people like me from signing up because they need a tow immediately. But if I can't rent or borrow one, that's the next option.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Christien
Race Car

Do you ever feel like you have the worst luck in the world?

I just called Uhaul. $50/day - awesome. They won't rent trailers for Ford Explorers. Expeditions are ok, etc etc, just not Explorers. Uhaul is involved in a lawsuit with Ford over Explorers rolling over with Uhaul trailers - Ford blamed Uhaul, Uhaul sued. Great.

So who else rents trailers? I looked in the yellow pages and it's all industrial (i.e. 18 wheeler) trailers. I called Carter Rentals and they don't rent vehicle trailers - he said as far as he knew Uhaul were the only ones that do anymore.

Uggh.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer

Christien, I am hauling a car back from Michigan this weekend. Baring no issues call me after you can use my trailer. I am in Goodwood,North of Stoffville. You need to be able to fit the full size platform into your receiver. You should also have a brake controller wired into your car. No charge for the trailer but if you have the proper hitch and brakes(controller) you will be safe. Andy.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Christien
Race Car

Hey Andy, thanks! I might have a line on one in London later this week, but it's a longshot. With any luck it'll come through tomorrow, because I have to go to London anyway. But if it doesn't, I'll pm you for your phone #. I'll take a picture of the hitch and wiring plug on my car and we'll see if it's a match.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Once Ruby is back together, we can go up there and call CAA - after last year's crap shoot in Dunnville, I got the premium membership. Just a thought.

Andy, what car are you buying from Michigan?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:31 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Chris, I',m back from west on the 9th and don't have prob with uhaul on my GMC. PM me.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Christien
Race Car

Hey James, any idea when that will be? That's really generous to offer - much appreciated. I think it's about time I got CAA myself, so I'll owe you one, if you need it!

Jim, thanks, but I've taken enough of your time! Actually, if I can't find something to tow behind our explorer, I can borrow my brother in law's F150 and rent a uhaul trailer for that, but not until next week sometime.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Christien....

email sent.....
Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Do you ever feel like you have the worst luck in the world?

I just called Uhaul. $50/day - awesome. They won't rent trailers for Ford Explorers. Expeditions are ok, etc etc, just not Explorers. Uhaul is involved in a lawsuit with Ford over Explorers rolling over with Uhaul trailers - Ford blamed Uhaul, Uhaul sued. Great.

So who else rents trailers? I looked in the yellow pages and it's all industrial (i.e. 18 wheeler) trailers. I called Carter Rentals and they don't rent vehicle trailers - he said as far as he knew Uhaul were the only ones that do anymore.

Uggh.
Its funny - UHaul bundles in the pre 2002 Explorers (which suck for towing) with the later variants. The 2002+ Explorer is a much better tow vehicle and much more stable. Having the V8 doesn't necessarily mean that you have the 3" receiver - you need to tow package for that.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a trailer I could borrow or rent?