Notices

Radar Detector in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector in Canada

I have a Bel Vector 95 that I got some time ago, but have not really used it. With the arrival of my new TTS, I am thinking of getting a V1.

Are these safe in Canada? Can the cops pick them up? do they work well with laser?

Any comments welcome...jag.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:55 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

V1 may be one of the best out there, but it is not safe against the Spectre detector detector. You will be taking your chances and if you're caught, there goes $400 (+ more with the fine) out the window. If you really want to chance it with a detector, get the Bel Driver Sti which apparently cannot be detected. With the huge campaign against speeding recently, I just step it down to the flow of traffic nowadays.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

That's what worries me....at least without one, you're are always on the lookout. A detector will ultimately allow me to become more complacement and end up with a really big ticket. I don't typically do crazy speeds, most of my fun is had in acceleration and cornering -- problem with the TTS is that flooring it through 3 gears gets you into crazy speeds before you know it!!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:21 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Don't forget that nothing will protect you against instant on radar either. The time you're most likely to get on it is when the road is nice and clear ahead. That's when instant on will kill you every time.

BTW, what's a TTS?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:31 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Or it won't protect you against an unmarked that is shadowing/tailing you. Hard to spot at night.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Don't forget that nothing will protect you against instant on radar either. The time you're most likely to get on it is when the road is nice and clear ahead. That's when instant on will kill you every time.

BTW, what's a TTS?
TTS --> 2005 Twin Turbo S

Jag.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:44 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jagsiva
TTS --> 2005 Twin Turbo S

Jag.
Nice. I saw your post in another thread. I'm in London as well. I'll my eyes peeled for a nice black Turbo S with an egg on the hood
I guess I'll have to be careful with my car!
Old 09-23-2007, 02:56 PM
997Vancity
Instructor

I live in B.C so your saying it is illegal to have a V1?

Also what bands do radar guns use? Cause my v1 is so annoying it will beep for my garage door and any supermarket. SO freakin annoying! And to top that off I went by a cop trap and nothing came off instead I got a ticket for having no front plate.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by 997Vancity
I live in B.C so your saying it is illegal to have a V1?

Also what bands do radar guns use? Cause my v1 is so annoying it will beep for my garage door and any supermarket. SO freakin annoying! And to top that off I went by a cop trap and nothing came off instead I got a ticket for having no front plate.
They are most definitly illegal in Ontario. Not sure of BC...

Jag.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:46 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Legal in Alberta...but they mostly use instant-on laser. By the time your detector goes off...it's too late, you're done like dinner. Ask me how I know....
Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Sputter
Pro

Originally Posted by skruggs964
Legal in Alberta...but they mostly use instant-on laser. By the time your detector goes off...it's too late, you're done like dinner. Ask me how I know....
How do you know?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

you guys in Alberta get to run no front plate and radar detectors! you would think everyone in alberta would drive a porsche. oh yeah you get a lot of snow.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:44 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

A couple comments: Agree with Bel STi for anywhere East of Alberta.

V1 is apparently very good detecting laser. Generally a laser alert is merely advance notice of a ticket -- unless you interfere with the laser's return to sender. For this, Veil on the headlights, fog lights, blinkers helps. If you really want to vastly improve your odds against laser, get a laser jammer to use in combination with the Veil. Oh, I recommend using an air brush to apply the veil.

Turn off x band. I don't think X is used any more. In Calgary, where speed enforcement is excessive, I've found plenty of Ka and Laser, but no K band. I've turned off K band, but turn in on for highway use -- about 1 in 15 RCMP still have K band, as they cruise the hwy with constant on Ka and (sometimes) K.

I've combined my Bel 65 with a Cheetah GPS Mirror, enabling me to program a minimum report speed (set to 30km). If I'm below that speed, I don't hear an alert.

Can also use the Cheetah as a "control centre" for a remotely located radar detector (e.g., behind the grill), as well as your laser jammer if you use them. You can remotely kill both with a key fob. That way, if stopped in a radar detector banned zone... heheh, no evidence that you have anything in the car that's illegal.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

IMHO, radar detectors are pointless on major routes like the 400 series roads.

In rural areas, the OPP seem to use older equipment and they're less willing to get out of the car to deploy the gun. I'll sometimes use my old Solo out in the boondocks, and have had loads of advance warning. On busier highways, I leave it at home and just try to drive in a way that doesn't call a lot of attention.

IMHO, I wouldn't bother with an elaborate concealed setup. OPP not only can and will go through a car looking for it, but they delight in it if the guy seems to have it coming. If I got nailed, I'd just hand him the detector. The officer has discretion as to how he deals with the infraction, and I've heard stories of where they'll just confiscate and leave it at that. Can't substantiate this.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:18 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Hey BruceP,

I don't think I can agree w/you that it's useless, but the crux of the issue is whether the benefits outweigh the trouble. For those of you who live in the Forbidden Zone, police, of course, can and do use the Spectre radar detector detector to sniff out people with...radar detectors. The STi is invisible to it, but you don't want to have that thing mounted on your windshield -- undectable to Spectre, obvious to the naked eye!

I believe there are some Ontarians on the Radardetector forum. Our friend Jag might enjoy reading up on the costs, benefits and strategies of driving with protection if he lives under the same oppressive prohibitions as you are.

FWIW,

Brent

Quick Reply: Radar Detector in Canada