Notices

Radar Detector in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:12 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
I don't think I can agree w/you that it's useless, but the crux of the issue is whether the benefits outweigh the trouble.
Kinda what I meant by "pointless", but I agree with you. It's a risk/reward thing and, for me, not worth the trouble. YMMV.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:13 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, sorry. I meant to be more clear in saying I think you hit the crucial nail, and right on the head when you said pointless. Better to just take a speeding ticket than to get a speeding ticket, an extra ticket for carrying an RD and also to lose a $400+ to boot.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by WitchDoctor
Hey BruceP,

I don't think I can agree w/you that it's useless, but the crux of the issue is whether the benefits outweigh the trouble. For those of you who live in the Forbidden Zone, police, of course, can and do use the Spectre radar detector detector to sniff out people with...radar detectors. The STi is invisible to it, but you don't want to have that thing mounted on your windshield -- undectable to Spectre, obvious to the naked eye!

I believe there are some Ontarians on the Radardetector forum. Our friend Jag might enjoy reading up on the costs, benefits and strategies of driving with protection if he lives under the same oppressive prohibitions as you are.

FWIW,

Brent
Hey, thanks...where is the radar detector forum? Is it on this board?

Jag.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Hi Jag,

Radar forum is here: http://www.radardetector.net/

If you are East of Alberta, as discussed, then the cost-benefit will look very different than if West of Alberta when you factor in that detectors are illegal. I willing to take that risk, you'll want to read up on what other folks do (e.g, Bel STi, and how they conceal it; braking technique that doesn't draw attention to themselves, etc).

In calgary, I think it's fair to say speed enforcement is very heavy.

On the hwy anywhere, you always want to use a "rabit" who's travelling the speed you want to go, or can live with, and trail at a safe distance. Radar detector or not, this is essential, as it's your only protection against instant-on radar or laser: let him get the ticket. Also a good idea in the city, where you can. One other thing, if there's a problem in the road ahead, you''ll see your rabit's brake lights before you see what he's seeing, so perhaps it's safer for you that way too.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector in Canada