First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:41 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Porsche

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum, and I am in the midst of purchasing my first Porsche. My question is, I would like to hear from those who have purchased/dealt with DFC in Toronto. How was the experience, how much can you negotiate with them regarding price. Do did deal or are they firm on the sticker price, as the salesman told me the other day. "They price their cars to move..so little room to move"!!!!Im looking at a pre owned car.

Any comments and help would be more then welcome.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

This place is a good first stop. Lots of opinions here, but DFC seems to clearly be the better of the 2 local dealers. That being said, you'll always find better prices and WAY more selection south of the border. Lots of people here have chosen to import and while it's a pain and lots of paperwork, the savings and selection are much better. The price ends up being roughly the same or a bit cheaper after shipping, GST, etc. Unless you're buying new, in which case the price differential is huge - even after shipping, taxes, duty, etc. it's at least $10K cheaper to buy in the states.

DON'T buy into the myth that the dealers love to perpetuate that Canadian cars are somehow more valuable than US cars. There's a long standing history of price differentials based on the days when our dollar was worth $0.65 US. The CDN dealers just don't want to match prices with the US dealers, so they put this false premium on CDN cars. You'll pay the premium to the dealer, but good luck trying to recoup any premium when you try to sell.

Great places to search are the classifieds here, on the Pelican Parts forums (though those are often more vintage) and the PCA national classifieds.

Good luck!

Chris
Old 07-19-2007, 05:29 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris, I have thought about going south and buying a car there..but to he honest, I just don't have the time. Yes Im buying pre owned..but I feel getting the 2 year warranty is a safe way to go..sure I'll pay more but the peace on mind for the first two years seems to be worth paying a bit extra for.

Would you agree..
Old 07-19-2007, 05:36 PM
BIMMERMIKE
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Used vehicle sales are huge money makers for the dealerships. Its like buying and selling shares ' buy low sell high'. It realy depends what DFC has in the vehicle for cost and repairs to sell with warranty. Compare the vehicle asking price to market, make sure they are inline to start and negotiate your best deal. Every price is negotiable,discounts depends on desirability of vehicle, end of month to make quota(for the dealership / salesman) and age of inventory, Certified pre-owned series, special interest rates and other factors.
Do your homework and buy at price your happy with, both dealership and customer must be a win-win situtation.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

RyeHigh, what are you looking for? I have an CPO 02 Targa for sale. It's got about 6 months left on the CPO. PM me or give me a ring @ 519 721 2526 if you want to chat.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

I guess it depends how much more you're paying, though I do completely understand your position. For me, half the fun is in the search, so I'd hate to skip that part!

Maybe compare with prices in the US, or other cars for sale locally privately, to give yourself some bargaining ammo. When I was selling my boxster, it was consistently priced lower than higher km models for sale at DFC or Pfaff, and still took a long time to sell, because I was asking too much.

What exactly are you looking at?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Hi Hoffa, Im looking at a 911 996 cab. They have a C4 , triple black..awesome car.
asking $74,900K, maybe about 5-6K over what I ve seem, but it does come with the 2 year warranty..
Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

I guess I could put this question out to everyone.
Do you think $74K for a 02, 911 C4 Cab with 57Km is a fair price.
I know it's my money and a great car....but I would like to get input from all of you Porsche owners.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Christien
Race Car

What year is it? You might be surprised to know that early 996 C2 coupes can be found for under $30K in the states. C4 cabrio, maybe $45-50K? Targas probably a bit more because of their relative rarity.

edit: oops, you just posted the year.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Christien
Race Car

A quick scan of the rennlist classifieds shows the following 02 cabrios (c2s and c4s):

45,700 miles, $48K, c2
46K miles, $48K, c4
47K miles, $42.5K, c2
38,500 miles, $46.7K, c4

Add 6% gst, 6% duty to get a comparable CDN price, you're looking in the low to mid 50s. I'm not factoring for exchange, because these days it's pretty much a non-issue.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:57 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Is there a auto broker that can take care of all the paperwork associated wtih bring a US car over to Canada. I wouldn't mind paying someone to do all the grunt work.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Personally, I think DFC and Pfaff have their heads in the ground when it comes to used 996 prcing. They will over you like 40-50 on a trade in, and sell it in the 70s.. ???

I think you can do a LOT better than that.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

I've talked to Fournier and Canadian Auto Associates before. You dont get CPO warranty then - only if you do it yourself
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Christien
Race Car

Most transport companies will take care of all the border paperwork for usually between $200 and $500 when you're having it shipped. As for the registration once in Ontario, I would think so, though it's not too much different than the registration stuff you'd have to do if you bought locally privately. The only difference is the Registrar of imported vehicles inspection.

There must be a service out there that can do all this, though I've always done it myself. (3x now) Hell, if you can't find anyone, pay me and I'll do it for you!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Hmmm I will look at those two brokers...thanks

Quick Reply: First Porsche