Notices

New warranty problem on US cars from PCNA........

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 02:58 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New warranty problem on US cars from PCNA........

Call your rep at PCNA and raise hell...........the Canadian dealers are at it again.

My dealer just told me an hour ago that effective as of today all US cars imported to Canada, whether past or present must now have a $400 inspection done at a Porsche dealer in order to have the warranty validated. Additionally, all documentation pertiaining to the sale (RIV, bill of sale, etc) must be in the name of the person requesting the warranty work and the inspection to be done......OR THERE WILL BE NO WARRANTY period.

If you bought the car from a dealer who imported it you now have no warranty, if you imported the car personally, you now have NO WARRANTY unless you open your wallet at the dealer............and the Canadian dealer will NOT honor either warranty, OEM 48/80 or CPO.

Myself and another high volume high end dealer here in Canada are retaining counsel and investigating a lawsuit under the "competition act" as this is in direct violation of same IMHO. It is a good thing that we both have several high powered lawyers and Porschephiles as clients.......

Last edited by YYC930; 03-26-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

Good luck,
it is disgusting that they have come up with this $400 fee and not covering cars brought in by third party. I thought this was all settled from last year...I guess not. what a joke.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:19 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

The litigation head at the firm I use just spent an hour with me on the phone. It's a pretty clear cut C-34 case if there ever was one.........as I have to sign some forms today in this regard, I'll have to keep my mouth shut for now.

Stay tuned to this channel.........
Old 03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

When I imported my boxster last year (commercially, through a dealership I work with) I ran into the recall clearance letter, and after doing a bit of research determined that there was grounds for a lawsuit, but simply wasn't worth the costs over a $30K car. However if there's a class action lawsuit it would be worth it, and I'd like to know about it.

Until then, I'll continue to tell my story to anyone who wants to hear it and will do no business with any Canadian Porsche dealership, particularly Pfaff, who were especially difficult and even rude with me.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:10 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

The beauty of Bill-C34 is that you can complain directly online thru the government site and they take it from there. Having a lawyer who specializes in said cases is just the icing on the cake when it comes to presentation and application of the law.

RiV has now stopped accepting dealer letters as well. It's now the recall screen or PCNA issued letter with it's inherent inaccuracies.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Christien
Race Car

What about when PCNA won't issue the letter? When I did the import, I just started calling dealerships in the states and offering $50 for a recall printout. The PPI dealership did it for free, but was a bit confused by the whole thing. Last I spoke to RIV (maybe September) they said they'd most likely change their policies to perhaps exempt recall letters, or accept Carfax reports (to whom PCNA reports recalls).
Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

This is going to drive more and more people south of the border to buy cars.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Christien
Race Car

With any luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

My next one will be a US car.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

good luck with your court case!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:01 PM
mountain_man_69
Intermediate

I've just bought an imported car I a can see that I will likely have similar problems. Does anyone have a list of "friendly" dealers in Ontario or Quebec for warranty service?

thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 PM
Christien
Race Car

Hah! Yeah right, Ontario dealers friendly to US import cars. Fat chance. At least not in the GTA. Perhaps Mark Motors in Ottawa, or maybe some in QC... Bon chance...

Sorry to be so sarcastic. Kind of a sore point with me...

The official line is that US warranties will be honoured at both the Toronto dealerships, however practice indicates you'll wait 4 weeks for service. Hopefully the money you saved by buying a US car will cover any non-honoured warranty issues you may have. It should more than cover anything.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:39 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Christien.....

Are the TO dealers charging the $400 "warranty activiation" fee now ?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Christien
Race Car

I don't know. I've heard of that fee before, but can't confirm if anyone here is charging that. My real involvement with this was the recall letter fiasco, (I'm driving cars that are long out of warranty) but the warranty issue ties in with it.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that the local dealerships refuse to state categorically what the rules are, at least insofar as putting such statements into practice.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC930
Call your rep at PCNA and raise hell...........the Canadian dealers are at it again.

My dealer just told me an hour ago that effective as of today all US cars imported to Canada, whether past or present must now have a $400 inspection done at a Porsche dealer in order to have the warranty validated. Additionally, all documentation pertiaining to the sale (RIV, bill of sale, etc) must be in the name of the person requesting the warranty work and the inspection to be done......OR THERE WILL BE NO WARRANTY period.

If you bought the car from a dealer who imported it you now have no warranty, if you imported the car personally, you now have NO WARRANTY unless you open your wallet at the dealer............and the Canadian dealer will NOT honor either warranty, OEM 48/80 or CPO.

Myself and another high volume high end dealer here in Canada are retaining counsel and investigating a lawsuit under the "competition act" as this is in direct violation of same IMHO. It is a good thing that we both have several high powered lawyers and Porschephiles as clients.......
-------------------------------------
If I understand you correctly, Porsche dealers are trying to prevent non Porsche dealers from bringing in US cars and competing with authorized franchises.

On the other hand an individual who buys a car in the USA can have a valid warranty providing that he or she has the proper paperwork showing that they bought the car in the US themselves.

I can't say that I blame the Canadian dealers. They are paying a higher wholesale price for the car because PCNA refuses to accept that the Canadian dollar has increased in value against the US, making US cars much cheaper.

I know local dealers are hurting because Leasing Companies and the big auction houses are bringing in US cars by the truck load ... new US cars which they can sell to Canadians cheaper than the authorized dealer can.

If I was a Porsche dealer, I'd be very bitter about the situation. I realize that this may impact your business, but it seems reasonable that dealers will try and prevent someone from pirating sales. If an individual buys the car in the USA, no problem except the fee.

Sorry if this annoys you, but I am on the side of the authorized dealer. By the way, I believe that Toyota Canada will not honor the warranty on US sourced cars owned by Canadians. I don't blame them either.

Regards,

Quick Reply: New warranty problem on US cars from PCNA........