Notices

Buying in U.S. and bringing into Canada.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:09 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying in U.S. and bringing into Canada.

Hi Everybody,

Although I have been floating around here for a couple
years, this is my first post.

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a two-owner 993 from a
private seller. It's been a long search, and i'm TIRED,
but I am 90% sure its the car for me. This will be a long
post, but I figure its better I have too much info than too little.

You guys who have bought in the U.S. to bring into
Canada, I really need your advice.
I've decided to go with Intercity for the
transport from the seller to the border. At the border
is where I need guidance.

Once the car is unloaded off the truck on the U.S. side, I plan
to drive the car from processing station to processing
station (with no plates) until they are all done with me on the CDN side.
Then I plan to load the car onto another trailer and head
to Toronto. I do NOT intend to register the car with RIV
at that time (i'll wait the 45 days), I just want to get the
car home.

The following are the steps in chronological order, along
with points of note, as I have been led to believe:

1- after the private seller gets their money, we go
to the local DMV to have title transferred to me.
I don't know about this... can he not just sign
the back of his title over to me? And also, I heard
that the DMV will charge me a "tax" of 6% to change
title??! I hope somebody can disprove this.

2- 72 hours prior to the car's arrival, I must have
submitted BILL OF SALE and ORIGINAL TITLE to
U.S. Customs. Regarding the Bill of Sale, is this
just a piece of paper that says I paid the private
seller $ X for his 993? Regarding Original Title,
do I courier this to U.S. Customs? Who/Where
in U.S. Customs?? I also heard that a faxed copy is
ok as long as you show up at the border with original

3- you MUST also call the US Customs Officer who handles
your case to verify that there are no problems.

4- when the car and I arrive at the U.S. border I must
also have written notice from the manufacturer of the
vehicle stating that any recalls that may be in effect
have been performed on the car. How do I get
this document?

5- i have to ensure that the vehicle has the original stickers
stating that it meets the Federal safety standards in effect
on the date of manufacture. Where are these stickers located?

6- regarding mph to kph, can I just put a sticker on the gauge?

7- i've been told the Queenston/Lewiston border is closest to
Toronto and the best point of entry into CAN.

8- i've been told that the Peacebridge or Whirlpool bridge
would be a bad idea, as they will not know how to
process my car.

9- at the U.S. border the Customs officer will inspect Bill of Sale and
Title, and check (something?) on the computer and then stamp
Title with export stamp, and then send me on my way to CDN side.

10- a previous rennlister said that a copy of the title is faxed to the US Customs so they can do a check to make sure it has no liens or is stolen. They had the seller do this a week before a decision was made to buy. They only use this to do a search (takes 72 business hours). Once the car is purchased and the original title is signed over, you bring it to the Customs Officer and he checks that it is the same as the faxed copy.
Is this what anybody else experienced?

11- then at CAN. Customs, what happens?

12- after CAN Customs, there will (hopefully) be a trailer waiting for me.
Then I load the car and were off to Toronto!

So... does anybody who has bought in U.S. to bring into Can have any
opinions on my plan?

Please, I need help.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:35 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Let me offer some guidance as I am a dealer in Vancouver, BC who imports vehicles to etch out my living

1) No need to go to the DMV office. He signs the portion of the title that transfers ownership and gives it to you, that's all that's required. No taxes.

2) Not originals. Never. Submit a copy of the bill of sale and a COPY of the title (front and back) as well as the US Vehicle Export Worksheet with some pertinent information filled out (your local US vehicle export office will provide this)

3) Maybe not a bad idea, but over here our USVEO doesnt even bother picking up the phone. Optional.

4) Run a carfax on it. www.carfax.com Porsche reports recall information to Carfax, and there will be a section (5) marked "Recalls" where it will clearly outline whether it needs any recall work or not and if so, what needs to be done. If there are no recalls, a print out of this page will suffice. This paperwork isn't required until you go to have it Federally inspected.

5) Door of the car/doorjamb. Just look for the sticker that has VIN #/date of manufacture/GVRW.

6) No work is necessary as long as there are kms on the gauge (it's okay if it's in smaller font than miles). Your 993 IIRC should have this, and thus no action is required.

7) Cant help you there, but some quick phone calls should be all you need.

8) Ditto.

9) Park the car at the designated area and walk inside with the original title and bill of sale. Give it to them. They will find the file you faxed to them, confirm you are showing them the same title, then sometimes go outside to verify the VIN # and sometimes not.

10) You dont need to do a lien search or verify the car isnt stolen, this is what the 72 hours notice is for. Nothing is required of you. See #9.

11) slide into Canada customs, go inside. This is where this gets a bit messy. Ask a customs agent for a FORM 1 and help in completing a B3 (you will declare how much you paid, whether it has a/c, etc.) They will instruct you how to complete the form 1, you will submit the form 1, B3, original title, original BoS, copy of title, copy of BoS. (photocopy these ahead of time and bring them). They will inspect the vehicle, or maybe not, collect duty, GST, a/c excise tax, and RIV fee.

NOTE. They may or may not let you drive the car out the gate without valid insurance. Even though a trailer is waiting there theoretically, there's no guarantee! Phone ahead and ask what to do.

As for after this, your vehicle needs to go through an OOP (Provincial inspection) at least here in BC it does. After you cross the border, your Form 1 will be faxed to the RIV and eventually they will mail you a FORM 2. Take your FORM 2 as well as your Recall notice and the YELLOW and WHITE copies of your FORM 1 to your local federal inspection centre (www.riv.ca to find out), they will verify date of manufacture, VIN #, recall clearance, DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (have your OOP inspection mechanic add daytime running lights!), and a few other minor details... your airbags need to be functioning (they will check that the light illuminates when the key is turned then goes out when the car is running).

Any other questions feel free to post, I'll answer them.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I brought over, from the US (Boston), my 928 5 years ago. Also 2 years ago a Miata. Its' gettin a bit late so tomorrow I'll write up a nice long procedure list that I had to go through witht the Miata. It's not as bad as it sounds and you DO NOT have to transfer the title over, but YOU DO have to have the title signed by the owner. Also the bill of sale is just a note stating the price and such.
The first thing to check is to see if the car is admissable. Here is the link and see if you car is admissable or not http://www.riv.ca/ . Then you need to contact Porsche North America to get the recall letter and what needs to be changed to meet Canadian standards. I'll write it up a littel better tomorrow. Ohh and Canadian Tire is the registered federalization inspectior, any Canadian Tire can do it.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI all late model Porsches are eligible for import.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Thank you very much, gentlemen.

I really appreciate the time you took,
to clear up all the bits of info I had
in this matter. It can rest the part of
my brain that was tending to the
importing for a while.

Now I have to tend to the latest
opposing offer made on the car
of my dreams. Looks like i'll need to
step it up. Ouch. I'll let you know
how it goes down...
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Why not buy local? There are a few great local cars for sale, not all reasonably priced but some are...
Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using Intercity is a great idea. I used them to ship my car from Boston to Blaine, Washington. Superb job, super careful.

I don't know if you have the option of not paying RIV when you are at Canada Customs.

To transfer title, all that has to happen is for the seller to sign on the back of the title paper. You would only go to the state registry and pay the tax if you were licensing the car in that state.

I faxed the bill of sale (piece of paper I did up with buyer and seller names, description of car and VIN and price) and the title to US Customs a week before I was going to bring it across. I called them four days later to confirm they had everything. They did answer the phone and confirmed they had everything. You don't have to call them in advance but I wanted to make sure there weren't any problems.

The US Customs people check to make sure the car isn't stolen and doesn't have a lien. In my case, they didn't even come out and look at the car. They just stamped the title and that was it.

You get the manufacturer's recall letter from Porsche Cars of North America. I think it costs US$75. You need it for registering in Canada. I can't remember if you show it at the border (don't think so) or at Canadian Tire.

As long as the speedo has the kph markings on it (Porsche's do), you don't have to do anything about it. For a 993, you have to have daytime running lights and a child restraint system. That means you buy the bolt and bracket from Canadian Tire for $7 and put it in your glove box. It doesn't even have to be mounted.

I have to believe that Canada Customs at any border crossing knows how to deal with your car.

At Canada Customs, I showed them the title with the US Customs stamp, the bill of sale and they filled out the Form one and graciously took the GST, duty, RIV fee and Air Conditioning surcharge from me. I paid with a bank draft and my VISA (didn't know what the exchange rate would be on that day).

I loaded my car on a trailer in Washington state. Technically you need a temporary license in the US to drive it from where Intercity drops it off to the border.

I asked at Canada Customs whether or not I needed a BC vehicle license or temporary permit. The person said that they don't care, that is a provincial matter. Don't know if that is true. If so, you could get a temporary permit from Canada, throw it on the car in the US and drive it to US Customs, Canadian Customs and then home.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:17 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

I just did this a few months ago. Why don't you just pay a broker $450 CDN and they'll handle everything for you - no hassels and they know all the Customs guys.
RIV fee, Duty (6.1%), GST and air tax are all due at the border - mine came throgh Lewiston as well.
Good luck,
Bob
P.S. - what sort of 993 are you buying?
PPS - i used TFX International out of T.O. - they will pick up ar origin and drop it at your house - highly recommended
Old 01-19-2006, 02:50 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

I imported a Porsche 2 years ago at the Buffalo / Niagara border, and agree with ientre9y11' and the earlier comments. The only thing I can add is that I also called both US and Canadian Customs offices prior to showing up. No problems at the on the US side but I was informed at the CDN side that if I planned on driving the vehicle they (CDN Customs) would not stop me but that they had already called the OPP and informed them that I would be soon be in route and that I had no tags on my car. This is after I had been told on the phone that I was able to drive on Ontario roads for 30 days with only a "Bill of Sale" until I was able to have the car inspected and registered. This was a minor set back that I was able to solve by leaving my car at the customs office driving a friend’s car to a nearby DMV office a buying temp tags that allowed me to drive my car home to Toronto and while I was having the various inspections and updates performed. Once back in Toronto I had the Porsche dealership in Newmarket for Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), emissions test, and the safety inspection. The only problem is that they preformed a provincial inspection for $100.00 and not the required federal inspection. As mentioned before Canada Tire is the place to go to for the Federal safety inspection and I don’t think there was a charge for the inspection.

As for buying locally Vs importing, there have been many discussions on the board regarding this issue. I would have bought locally if I could have found what I was looking for. Some say there will be a 10-20% price reduction for US cars when it comes time to sell and that you’ll be treated as a second-class citizen by the service dept. at the local dealers.

Good luck on your new car and feel free to send me an email if there is anything I can due to help.

Aron in Toronto
Old 01-19-2006, 11:38 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beers4all
I just did this a few months ago. Why don't you just pay a broker $450 CDN and they'll handle everything for you - no hassels and they know all the Customs guys.
RIV fee, Duty (6.1%), GST and air tax are all due at the border - mine came throgh Lewiston as well.
Good luck,
Bob
P.S. - what sort of 993 are you buying?
PPS - i used TFX International out of T.O. - they will pick up ar origin and drop it at your house - highly recommended
Hi Bob,

TFX, huh? Did you use them? If so, did they:
-pickup car in U.S
-dealt with U.S/Can. Customs
-deliver to your door

If they did, then hell, i'm onboard. I'm worried about
the logistical nightmare of syncronizing Interstate transporters
on the U.S side, with a 2nd transport company on the CDN side.
(Interstate doesnt deliver into Canada). I'd rather get one
company to do everything.

I should be posting an update regarding the status
of my offer. I'm refraining from the deets at this time,
ONLY because actually stating it makes it too real and thus,
more painful should the deal fall through.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am considering a car from phoenix and Hansens has quoted $2500 open transport to Saskatchewan. Then you also have to pay for a broker to handle the customs stuff. It is supposed to be around $200.00 as well as all the taxes. One of my concerns with this is that they can't give an exact day to pick up the car in phoenix, nor can you drop it off anywhere. So.......that would mean I would have to arrange for the car to be held somewhere for them to pick it up since it is a private sale......Just wish their were more cars available in Canada. By the way if anyone knows of a nice 78-89 911 Coupe (no red) for sale let me know....
Old 01-20-2006, 10:19 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trickydisco
Hi Bob,

TFX, huh? Did you use them? If so, did they:
-pickup car in U.S
-dealt with U.S/Can. Customs
-deliver to your door

If they did, then hell, i'm onboard. I'm worried about
the logistical nightmare of syncronizing Interstate transporters
on the U.S side, with a 2nd transport company on the CDN side.
(Interstate doesnt deliver into Canada). I'd rather get one
company to do everything.

I should be posting an update regarding the status
of my offer. I'm refraining from the deets at this time,
ONLY because actually stating it makes it too real and thus,
more painful should the deal fall through.
Yep - they do the entire thing. mine was picked up from the dealer in Conneticut and dropped at my door in St. catharines. The cost was $1095 plus the broker fee. Here's the contact info. I've used them several times to ship cars down to Florida for the winter as well. Never any issues.
Here's the contact info:

Jacqui Macnally,

Vice President

TFX International Specialized Vehicle Transport,

12, Stoffel Drive, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M9W 1A8.

Toll Free: 1 (888) 415 3158 Extension #1.

Local Phone: (416) 243 8531

Fax: (416) 243 8886

Web site: www.tfxinternational.com

E-mail: jacqui@tfxinternational.com

Good luck - let me know how you make out. What sort of 993 are you after. i know of a few available state-side that appear to be good deals.
Cheers,
Bob
Old 01-20-2006, 11:39 AM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tango Foxtrot,

I wouldn't dream of transporting a Porsche in an open carrier. Do a search here on transporting cars. The two benefits of someone like Intercity are that your car is transported inside an enclosed semi trailer and the second thing is that they treat cars with kid gloves. Intercity transports all the Carrera GT's in the US.

With open trailers your car will likely arrive filthy and the carriers are no where near as careful.

You are paying lots of money for your dream car. Spend an extra $500 so that your car arrives in pristine condition.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:54 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

TFX ships in an enclosed unit - see pic's. Agreed - wouldn't ship in an open carrier either. no affiliation ... blah blah blah.
Attached Images   
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys, I don't think I will go with an open transport...

Quick Reply: Buying in U.S. and bringing into Canada.