928 Key Copier

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 11:59 PM
SteveCo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 928 Key Copier

Anyone know of a place that can cut an ignition key (and supply a blank) for a 928 in the Ottawa area? Only have one key and am planning a trip there soon. Any idea on cost as well?

Regards,
SteveCo in St. John's
Old 02-04-2005, 10:56 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Steve,

The best thing to do is to order a key blank from a dealer or parts vendor. (Order two or maybe even three!!) You should be able to find a key cutting place in your area that can do these keys... they are not that special.

928 blank -> http://key-men.com/shopping/show_key...48db7e5a01520b

You can also ask the "Key Men" about cutting....

Also check out: http://www.keys4classics.com/html/Por928.html

ymmv,
Patrick
Old 02-04-2005, 11:28 AM
SteveCo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Patrick;
Thanks fore the reply. There is no one here in NF that has the adapter to cut a 928 key for me. Basically a standard machine will cut the key, but a 45 degree angle adapter is needed to hold the blank and the 928 is one of the few vehicles that use this adapter. So, finding a locksmith with the machine and adapter is my goal.

There may be someone in NS who can do this, but I'm thinking Ontario is a more likely place....more cars, larger population, etc. I'm sure there is someone in Ont that has this capability...now all I have to do is find them. FWIIW, the dealers get keys from the Porsche US and only have about a 50/50 record in matching the keys correctly...and their $250 a pop!

I actually have an alarm blank already, so I am good to go as soon as I can find someone with the machine. I would like to get a couple of spares cut, so I will need a few extra blanks, all the same.

I have a source in the US for this service, but do not relish mailing my only key across the border. Woudl prefer to make an in-person visit next time I am on business.

Once again, thanks for your interest and info.

Regards,
SteveCo in St. John's
Old 02-04-2005, 12:29 PM
P.Po
Instructor

Steve,

I will ask around and see if there is anybody in Ottawa or Toronto that can cut Porsche keys, specifcally 928 keys. I have two 951 blanks I need cut for my cars, so I am interested to find this out. I wonder if the 951 keys have the same issue...

I will let you know what I find....

regards,
Patrick
Old 02-04-2005, 02:54 PM
SteveCo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Patrick;
Thanks for this. It would be great if you find someone.

I posted the same question to the 928 board as well. Have a look at the posts on the Australian connection. FWIIW, this guy does not actually cut from the photo, he just uses it to establish the code for the key in question and then cuts it from the code via computerized machine. It is still a great idea and saves the hassle of physically semding the key. Price is reasonable too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/184145-canadian-key-cutter.html

I'm sure this would work for the 951 as well. IIRC, your key is different than mine. You should be able to get it cut locally at any decent keysmith. Here's the link to the same guy's eBay auction on the 944 key:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...951832965&rd=1

Regards,
SteveCo in St. John's
Old 02-04-2005, 06:52 PM
oups59
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I know that the Porsche dealer in Laval, Quebec can do it.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve, I had one cut for my 84 928 by the Porsche dealer in Toronto two years ago. Total cost was around $75.00. I was told that it came from Germany and all that was required was a copy of the ownership and my drivers liciense for proof of ownership, and a prayer, just in case the ignition switch was changed. Porsche Germany has all the info on your 928 and the serial number was all that was required.Good-luck.......Bill
Old 02-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give Mario a call at HPCARS (formerly Heimraths) (416) 757-4515 as he has one of the best locksmiths around as his contact (friend of his). He can and will make copies of ANY key for any lock and I have seen him make a key for a lock with the key missing.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
SteveCo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Looks like I have lots of options and alternatives to run down...and no excuse to live with a single key any longer!

Regards,
SteveCo in St. John's
Old 02-09-2005, 05:48 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If 928 keys are like 951 keys, you will need to find a place that will cut steel keys. When I needed a new key cut from the ONE key I had, this was the problem I ran into. Nothing was ever mentioned about an adapter, but all but one place flat out refused to cut it because 951 are solid steel and it would ruin their blades. Finally found one place that did it, for $5. The only other place that was ""willing"" wanted a $300 cash deposit in case it ruined his cutting blade
Old 02-10-2005, 06:42 AM
SteveCo
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not familiar with 951 keys, but attcahed is a pic of a 928 key. I believe they are unique to the 928, as the key is cut on the edges as a 45deg angle. Llooks like my key is brass and the uncut blank I have appears to be brass as well.

Regards,
SteveCo in St. John's
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Sharkdriver
Intermediate

FWIW.....$75 from the dealer with fob included......2 weeks away though. My locksmith I regularily use said that he was also going to charge me $150 if his grinder had to be replaced (which I find hard to believe)...........

Quick Reply: 928 Key Copier