Notices

Joining PCA

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005 | 08:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Question Joining PCA

I'm going to join the PCA and I would imagine I'd be in the Rennsport Region (I'm in Ottawa).

Do I go through the PCA directly?

I'm looking forward to taking my car to the track once it's broken in.

On a semi-related note . . . insurance at Driver Education track events . . . ? I'm afraid to ask my insurance agent.
Old 01-31-2005 | 10:14 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

About the insurance... I asked directly once. The agent said that as long as it wasn't racing against time or other cars it was covered. It was for a day at Circuit Mont-Tremblant and it was amazing.

Check on the website @ http://www.rennsport.ca/E_membership/joinPCA.html

All the info you need is there.

See you around Ottawa!
Old 02-01-2005 | 11:27 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Please don't call your insurance company and ask them that question. My close friend simply called and asked about it and recieved a notice that they cancelled his insurance. No joke. No lie. I didn't believe it either until I saw the letter. He had a perfect driving record.

There are other alternatives. There is a DE/track insurance program you will hear about through the PCA. If you have a modified car there is soon going to be insurance available through a program that was started up because of what happened to my friend above. But you must be a CASC member...

http://www.casc.on.ca/

If you have a lot of time to kill... read all about what started it ->
http://racing.kos.net/soloforums/sho...5&pagenumber=1

ymmv,
Patrick
Old 02-01-2005 | 03:07 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I guess part of the problem perhaps is the definition of a "modification". If I put better brakes on my car - is that a dangerous modification or should I be rewarded with a better rate than someone who's brakes are not as good?

Summer/winter tires are unlikley a modficiation, but a supercharger or 18" wheels on a car designed to have 16" wheels on it likely is as the suspension, brakes, etc. was not designed for the extra stresses.

I think before we all panic about the high-flow airfilter we installed, I think we have to go back to basics and define our terms about what consitutes a "modification", at least in the eyes of the insurance companies.

Marc
Old 02-02-2005 | 12:43 AM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

I guess it's a good thing the insurance cancelled the policy. I wouldn't want to deal with a company like that if I had any kind of accident...
Old 02-02-2005 | 10:52 AM
P.Po
Instructor

Marc,

Unfortunately, insurance companies see a mod as using a part other then OE specified. So, even if you change your pads to something better, or add a high-flow filter, the insurance company *CAN* deny your claim based on the non OE parts installed. I know it sounds stupid, but that is what is happening in Ontario. People are regularly, and honestly without exageration, being dropped by insurance companies because they even inquire about covergae during a DE or insruance on upgraded parts etc. Many insurnace companies are asking people to send pictures of thier cars and/or having them inspected. However, an insurance program exists here in Ontario now that will allow you to drive modified cars. It is a semi-private plan.....

Marc, the mods that you have listed on your car would most likely get you dissqualified from insurance company in Ontario if it was inspected. I don't make the rules, just passing on the info... read about it in the CASC link I posted above for more evidence...

ymmv,
Patrick
Old 02-10-2005 | 03:03 PM
mdex
Racer

Originally Posted by thedyingiraffe
I guess it's a good thing the insurance cancelled the policy. I wouldn't want to deal with a company like that if I had any kind of accident...
The big problem is that the companies are black flagging anyone that they drop... so it is almost impossible to get ANY insurance from any company afterwords.

Quick Reply: Joining PCA