Notices

Was the federal luxury tax amount on your initial Offer to Purchase $0.00?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 08:41 AM
Slngshot
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

The lux tax is 100% on you. Nobody is exempt.

What I would be pissed about is the $490 Dealer prep, $499 Document fee and $2850 “Destination Fee”

You paid freight and PDI.
what the hell is the extra destination fee…..
On a 200k car, there is ZERO chance they can charge over and above to “prep” the vehicle if you push back.
Same for the document fee.

Pure extortion.

There’s 911’s sitting a plenty on dealer lots.
The following users liked this post:
Ironmar (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:00 AM
wonyo
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slngshot
The lux tax is 100% on you. Nobody is exempt.

What I would be pissed about is the $490 Dealer prep, $499 Document fee and $2850 “Destination Fee”

You paid freight and PDI.
what the hell is the extra destination fee…..
On a 200k car, there is ZERO chance they can charge over and above to “prep” the vehicle if you push back.
Same for the document fee.

Pure extortion.

There’s 911’s sitting a plenty on dealer lots.
To be clear I have 0 problem paying the luxury tax in full. I'm just upset that there was a failure to disclose the amount at the start.

I asked about the other fees and they said the destination fee was for the transport from Stuttgart to Halifax, and the freight and PDI is for Halifax to Vancouver. Not sure if this is exactly true, but that is the explanation I was provided.

The rep did admit that the Dealer prep and Documentation fees were money grabs, and that these fees go towards the office department. He said "I can't just remove fees" and "we never give discounts" and will consult management on next steps. There's a chance I will get a call tomorrow saying that my deposit will be refunded in full.

Last edited by wonyo; 06-19-2024 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:28 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by wonyo
Yes, I am so sour as you say that I will walk if they don't remove/reduce any of the BS fees or give service credits as a show of good faith. It's a matter of principle. The most expensive car I bought before was a little under 120k, so the going PST rate for it was 10%. I mistakenly assumed the luxury tax was a provincial tax since I did not know there were car sales tax brackets, and the PST was unusually high at 20% for the 911.

Listen, I'm not blameless here either, but I just think it is the dealership's duty to disclose and calculate ALL costs/fees from the start; just as it quite clearly states in the disclaimer of the build sheet given by the dealer. It's these guys' entire jobs to sell and handle cars, and most people (and courts) would agree that the vendor's responsibility to fully disclose this kind of information massively overshadows the buyer's responsibility to know these things. I just don't see the need for insults here. As someone else said it's lousy from the dealer at best, deceptive at worst.
You have a point. Contact the BC better business bureau and see what they say...its sloppy paperwork (see below) and yes, they sell cars daily and should know better. This being said their disclaimer is either carefully written or deceptive because:

"The Estimated Total Price" - notice there's no line item that specifically says this on the paperwork. Instead the line item is written as "Estimated Total Retail Price" and does discuss "estimated luxury item tax" but its omitted and they could argue about the wording but then the bureau would say they had an obligation to note the Estimated Total Price which then was omitted from the document.

Also....

The last sentence notes "The Estimated Total Price excludes specific duty on new tires, sales taxes, applicable..."

Whoever wrote this for Porsche Canada or the dealership needs firing.

However, I don't think there will be any recourse other than walking as the tax is a tax mandated and I doubt they'd eat that unless the Bureau somehow rules in your favor. Porsche is having a hell of a time selling cars right now...do a search across Canada as there's 911s on lots and I think you could nab a discount.

Last edited by CamsPorsche; 06-19-2024 at 09:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wonyo (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:24 PM
Slngshot
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

To be clear I have 0 problem paying the luxury tax in full. I'm just upset that there was a failure to disclose the amount at the start.

I asked about the other fees and they said the destination fee was for the transport from Stuttgart to Halifax, and the freight and PDI is for Halifax to Vancouver. Not sure if this is exactly true, but that is the explanation I was provided.

The rep did admit that the Dealer prep and Documentation fees were money grabs, and that these fees go towards the office department. He said "I can't just remove fees" and "we never give discounts" and will consult management on next steps. There's a chance I will get a call tomorrow saying that my deposit will be refunded in full.
Honestly, if a manager is willing to toss your deposit back and risk sitting on that 911 - I’d call that bluff and be happy to walk.
Buy a 1 or 2yr CPO car, no lux tax - with the likeliness you can get more car for that same amount of money in the market we are working in this day - not the same as when you ordered that car.

It’s a buyers market again.
Don’t let emotion get in the way of fiscal common sense.
The dealer will play you - there are TONS of options out there.
The following 3 users liked this post by Slngshot:
CamsPorsche (06-19-2024), shotor (06-19-2024), wonyo (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:51 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,239 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Slngshot
Don’t let emotion get in the way of fiscal common sense.
The dealer will play you - there are TONS of options out there.
Sage advice...
Old 06-19-2024, 05:27 PM
kwazi7
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it'd be tough to walk away due to $1,000 after waiting what I presume was a long while. That said, I wouldn't have even made the order with that amount of BS fees.

Let us know what happen in the end.

Also, did they make you put down a 23k deposit??? Is that normal? That seems nuts to me...
Old 06-19-2024, 06:46 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwazi7
I think it'd be tough to walk away due to $1,000 after waiting what I presume was a long while. That said, I wouldn't have even made the order with that amount of BS fees.

Let us know what happen in the end.

Also, did they make you put down a 23k deposit??? Is that normal? That seems nuts to me...
Nope...I put $20k down on mine.
Old 06-19-2024, 07:15 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Nope...I put $20k down on mine.
That is nuts. Was it required?

I put down $3k on my Macan GTS and my brother put down $5k on his 992 GTS and both orders were from last year.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:03 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 515 Posts

I had to put $5k initially and another $15k when the build locked.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:06 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 322 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I had to put $5k initially and another $15k when the build locked.
Wow. That is wild.

In either situation did you guys have history with the dealer or no? Wondering if that makes a difference...
Old 06-19-2024, 10:10 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 515 Posts

Yes, 2 previous Macan S’s plus service for the past 9 years. On the Macans I only put $5k down.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:23 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

Macan GTS in 2021 I only had to do a $1000 refundable deposit...geeze
Old 06-19-2024, 10:41 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Macan GTS in 2021 I only had to do a $1000 refundable deposit...geeze
Yes but a Macan GTS is a bottom feeder vehicle according to some individuals on this forum with micro dicks.
The following 2 users liked this post by moab:
#1SomeGuy (06-20-2024), bcrdukes (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 10:47 PM
Performante
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

What dealer are you dealing with? The miscellaneous fees are getting out of control.

This is the bill of sale (BoS) for my recent purchase, although it is not a Porsche. The dealer included the luxury tax on my BoS, and it shows that the tax is PST exempt. Therefore, someone, most likely the salesperson, made an error and should have asked the finance department to send you the BoS.

Old 06-20-2024, 12:20 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Wow. That is wild.

In either situation did you guys have history with the dealer or no? Wondering if that makes a difference...
Yes, and it could have been because I ordered Ruby Star Neo and my build was uber fast....it locked almost immediately after we submitted it. Feb.1, built 23rd, arrived March 28th at the dealership.

Quick Reply: Was the federal luxury tax amount on your initial Offer to Purchase $0.00?