Notices

Vehicle Thefts - Some Stats Released Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 03:50 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 745 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by rensoyka
better than being dead. someone points a gun at me I'll shoot the tard every time no hesitation just like a cop would. legal firearms insurance 100 bucks a year, free lawyer up to 100,000 bucks.
You clearly haven’t been around the legal system if you think $100k is going to cover your costs for a manslaughter defence. It cost one of my previous employers $40k just to try and prevent me from being deposed (they lost).

Ask any cop what was the most difficult training exercise that they did and I’ll bet most will say the training geared towards knowing when to shoot. Rambo-types like you are the ones who shoot the 16 year old kid with the fake hand gun and end up in jail. Don’t misunderstand, if forced to defend my family, I’ll do what is necessary. However, you want my car and are going to leave us alone…take it.

Old 03-23-2024, 04:39 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,207 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Don’t misunderstand, if forced to defend my family, I’ll do what is necessary. However, you want my car and are going to leave us alone…take it.
Here is some sage advice and exactly what I was thinking, if it's the car let them have it and move on...
Old 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Onami
It cost one of my previous employers $40k just to try and prevent me from being deposed (they lost).
A high net worth client of mine contesting a prenup had to fork over 150k for an expert witness if you can believe it.

I admit it shocked me but then again we were talking tens of millions and in the end it paid off...
The following users liked this post:
Onami (03-23-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 05:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
Can you elaborate on time in jail?
the 21 year old guy in Milton that shot one of the 4 burglars that entered his home and his mom was home too...he spent 8 days in jail, as per the article.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:29 PM
M718R
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rensoyka
the last guy that tried this shot someone when they drove up his driveway by mistake. he's gone for life as he should be. the guy who shot someone when they knocked on the wrong door is also gone for life. there have to be limits.
Those homeowners should spend the rest of their lives in jail. If you're going to shoot, you better be 1000% sure of the situation. Not a pizza delivery guy at the wrong address... There is a difference of someone forcefully entering your home and someone approaching your address. It's not a crime to drive on someone's driveway or knock on a door. Anyone that pulls a gun in those scenarios shouldn't be in possession of a firearm in the first place. Firearms are serious business and whenever you decide to load a gun you better be prepared for the consequences.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:39 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
the 21 year old guy in Milton that shot one of the 4 burglars that entered his home and his mom was home too...he spent 8 days in jail, as per the article.
So jailtime before bail?

I'm assuming this also applies to all the criminals that get caught and have no money right?
Old 03-23-2024, 07:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
So jailtime before bail?

I'm assuming this also applies to all the criminals that get caught and have no money right?
just asked my friend who is a criminal lawyer, and he said in Canada even if the guy had Greenspan, he would be in jail for a few days, they have to have a meeting with the judge before the bail hearing, to discuss things pertaining to bail, and must be scheduled and at mercy of the court.
very slow system in Canada.
and if you point your gun at someone you will be charged but you may have a defence in court or like the Milton case, it was dropped before case heard.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:33 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
just asked my friend who is a criminal lawyer, and he said in Canada even if the guy had Greenspan, he would be in jail for a few days, they have to have a meeting with the judge before the bail hearing, to discuss things pertaining to bail, and must be scheduled and at mercy of the court.
very slow system in Canada.
and if you point your gun at someone you will be charged but you may have a defence in court or like the Milton case, it was dropped before case heard.
Thanks, just trying to understand the process given all the talk about these gun toting criminals being out on bail the next day, guess it takes some time.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:46 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

Okay, here's a new scam: sim car swap. I have to admit, I have some problems understanding how this works. I deal with freedom, and I was just there getting a new phone. I had to give them my phone number, name, show id, and give them my pin for them to log into my account. Ok, so someone overcomes these hurdles. Now how does he access my accounts? You still need to know the account/username/password on bank accounts, and have access to the person's email username and password. Doesn't the mobile company have access to your phone's location at any point in time? Can't they just call the number if someone wants a new sim? Anyway, who puts their retirement funds into bitcoin?

Perhaps I'm just a naive dinosaur

Apparently the way you find out this happened to you is that your phone just stops working

https://globalnews.ca/video/10376673...toronto-couple

Last edited by reacp911; 03-25-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:11 AM
Brick317
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I called Freedom to change my billing credit card. Seems like a simple request, no? The Freedom person requested I tell them my PIN verbally over the phone. What kind of ancient systems do they use? I refused and switched carriers.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:20 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brick317
I called Freedom to change my billing credit card. Seems like a simple request, no? The Freedom person requested I tell them my PIN verbally over the phone. What kind of ancient systems do they use? I refused and switched carriers.
This is it, if you give your PIN to anyone you're at risk period.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,062 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
Okay, here's a new scam: sim car swap. I have to admit, I have some problems understanding how this works. I deal with freedom, and I was just there getting a new phone. I had to give them my phone number, name, show id, and give them my pin for them to log into my account. Ok, so someone overcomes these hurdles. Now how does he access my accounts? You still need to know the account/username/password on bank accounts, and have access to the person's email username and password. Doesn't the mobile company have access to your phone's location at any point in time? Can't they just call the number if someone wants a new sim? Anyway, who puts their retirement funds into bitcoin?

Perhaps I'm just a naive dinosaur

Apparently the way you find out this happened to you is that your phone just stops working

https://globalnews.ca/video/10376673...toronto-couple

the key is in the two factor authentication piece ... guy calls just needs your account number which in the big picture is easy to get with cache on board etc. says " oh i forgot my password i need to reset it" ... they then use two factor authentication and send a code or request to your phone.... he has essentially your phone .. bingo !!

be very careful with this stuff.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:52 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
...cache on board...
what info is stored on a new pin? I would think just your phone number, not your account numbers

All of my dealings ever with two step only happen after I've logged in. Before that it's all email reset. My email providers don't know my cell phone phone number they have my landline number

Last edited by reacp911; 03-25-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,062 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
what info is stored on a new pin? I would think just your phone number, not your account numbers

All of my dealings ever with two step only happen after I've logged in. Before that it's all email reset. My email providers don't know my cell phone phone number
i just mean in general to get user names, etc, people tend to store there passwords, in browsers etc. the only point i was making is it is relatively easy to get that info for a hacker.

Security is about layers... not doing one thing to prevent everything, professional scammers and thieves slowly build profiles on small pieces of info. This is whaty protecting your personal info is so important.

he only has my name no big deal
he only has my address no big deal
only has my place of work no big deal
only has my account number , not password no big deal

see what is happening

and i think someone just having your sim no big deal is a biggie
The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 09:28 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Saw a story on Global this evening. Couple dropping off friends at condo at Yonge-Sheppard area. With driver out of the car, a car-jacker jumps in and takes off with victim's wife in car. She called out the gun he had telling him it's a toy gun. He showed her the bullets and she was forced out while vehicle was moving. It was caught on a dash cam from a vehicle behind. Luckily she only got bruises.
They only had the suv for 2 months. It was a Rolls Royce valued at $700.000. She stated if they don't find it they won't replace it.
Scary times, be careful out there.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Thefts - Some Stats Released Today